“Very nice for a special night”
Review of Le Papillon

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Bus
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Went here recently to celebrate an anniversary. By the looks of things about half the people were there for some similar occasion.

Some of the servers did a great job explaining how to use the menu - the only options are either a 3-course prix fixe or 4-course prix fixe.

Our waiter just sort of gave us the menu and took our orders. Other servers explained "you can combine any 3 (or 4) items you like, in any order". Some folks have a salad and 3 desserts, others have a soup and 2 entree's. Might have been nice to know this when we ordered. Other than this, the service and meal were really spectacular.

Service was from another era, attentive with nearly perfect timing. The food was great and portions were reasonable (not typical American massive, but not tiny French either).

They offer a Gran Marnier souffle for dessert and it was good - but I likely would order off the standard menu the next time.

A good selection of half bottles of wine for those who can't finish a whole bottle or have divergent preferences.

Likely will go back for another special night. Unfortunately, prices put it firmly on the "for something special" list.

1  Thank jondf

Reviewed July 23, 2012

The food there was excellent. I studied a bit of classic French cooking under one of Le Papillon's former chefs, so I'm familiar with many of their recipes.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Not sure why we've never dined at Le Papillon before. Finally did it last night to celebrate hubby's birthday. We were both blown away by the food and the service. I thought it would be a stuffy French restaurant but it was anything but that. The interior is understated but lovely and you immediately forget the busy urban intersection just outside. Service from our waiter, the bus staff, and the sommelier was exceptional. How could they know when a dish was empty and spirit it away so quickly?

We were treated to several amuses from the chef and each tiny gift was exceptional in presentation and taste. Then we each had appetizer, salad, and entree and shared a dessert. Every dish was beautiful and delish. And while this is an expensive place, the portions were quite satisfying. I think my favorite of everything we had was my truffled hamachi tartare appetizer. May I say that I love hamachi prepared just about any possible way. This was incredible.

Can't wait to go back -- highly recommend this for anyone who wants a very special night out and loves food.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

I can't remember eating anything here (on many visits) that has been less than excellent..
Perfectly executed French, and way better value (in my opinion) than some of the newer 'molecular gastronomy' experiments in Los Gatos and Palo Alto.. :-)

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Its excellent French food, but expensive. We did have our wedding dinner at this restaurant and we couldn't make a better choice. The snails were excellent, the fish & meat unbelievable good and the desert unforgettable. We will go back soon to celebrate our 1st anniversary and I am looking forward to that for a year already.

Been to Le Papillon? Share your experiences!