“Very Nice Remodeled Hotel”

Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed January 17, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the last few months.

The 3 rooms we stayed in varied in size from small to large but were all nicely appointed, clean and recently remodeled.

The air quality in this hotel is great as it is smoke free and has no strong odors from cleaning products for those of you with asthma.

This hotel does have some late night noise issues on the weekends especially if your room is on the street side of the hotel. If this is an issue for you get a room with no view facing the alley as that seemed to be our quietest room.

As for parking if you arrive on a weekend you can park for free in a city parking garage 2 blocks away on second street.

The hotel is in a terrific location with restaurants, theaters , nightclubs and museums all within walking distance.

I don't think this hotel quite deserves a 4 star rating but if you get the $89 price they often advertise on their website it is the best value in downtown San Jose. Free Wi Fi is a nice bonus and works well. We have found the staff to be on the young side but mostly cheerful and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown

Reviewed November 24, 2010

I used to stay here for business and I thought it was a good value for the location. Although it "opened" in February/March 2010, it is not a new hotel so don't kid yourself.

Pros: The front desk receptionists are young, but they do provide great customer service. A big perk is they will provide you with a pass to the Bally's Gym across the street. There's a movie theater and lots of restaurants within walking distance. The bar seems to be relatively popular on Thursday nights and the outside bar area is a hit during the summer.

Cons: I understand that $20/night is the going rate in downtown San Jose, but it still seems like a rip-off, especially since it's in an open lot. I have noticed that they do not do a great job cleaning the linens as it doesn't have a fresh smell. The rooms are clean, but the smell of the linens give off the impression otherwise. Rooms are also really small. You get horrible cell phone reception using an iPhone, but then again, it could be the iPhone and not the room.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
FourpointsGMSanJose, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2010

Hi, and thanks for your review! We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Regarding the parking arrangements, we actually don't own the lot, hence the charge. That said, we are happy to make referrals to various city lots that are somewhat less expensive, albeit less convenient. Please contact our Front Desk for that information.

Hope to see you again soon. Until then, best regards!

- Randy Zimmerman, General Manager

Reviewed October 12, 2010

I stayed here for a weekend with my husband for a rate of $75/night. This hotel was stylish with a boutique feel and in a great location. Well worth a lot more than $75/night. The lobby and rooms are modern with great beds and flat screen tvs. The mini bar had reasonably priced items and the room had free internet. All of this in a great location within walking distance of many restaurants. Plus, there is a movie theater across the street. Look no place else if you want good value and modern accommdations

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2010

The hotel is in the heart of the downtown, a stones throw from the Tech Museum. It was a great value, under $100. The room was rather basic, but very clean. Very comfortable bed/bedding, small desk as a workstation, bathroom was fine, good water pressure in the shower. We were a little worried when we returned to the hotel around 11 on a Saturday night, as there were tons of people in the area going nightclubbing. We thought the hotel would be loud, but our room was pleasantly quiet. We made a bad choice on a place to eat breakfast, but there is a French bakery right around the corner (next to McCormick & Schmick restaurant) that looked great that we found later. I would stay here again if in the area for a Sharks game or concert at HP Pavillion, it is perfectly decent.

Reviewed July 11, 2010

I booked this hotel for a quick get-away from our home in Palo Alto, CA. The hotel's location was wonderful--but the staff was horrible. At check-in, the woman behind the desk knew noting about the events happening right outside the hotel's fron doors--Party on the Paseo at the Fairmont, etc.

On check out the desk manager told me that they could not tell me what I had been billed for my room rate (she said that since I had booked through Cheap Tickets I would have to speak to them directly) I have traveled all over the world and have always been told what I was charged for my room no matter who I had booked through!!!! The manager said that I did not know what I was talking about as this was standard proceedure with third party bookings. Sorry, but I know she was wrong!!!

So--great hotel and location--as long as you do not have to speak with the staff!!!

Reviewed July 6, 2010

The hotel used to be the Hotel Montgomery, and is now the Four Points By Sheraton. The room price at the time I stayed was around $280, however we got a promotional discount and stayed for only $89. I'm really glad we did because I would have never paid $280 for this hotel. It's definitely nice, but not worth that price.

The overall size of the room was smaller than I expected it to be. We were on the 4th floor (the highest floor), and had a view of the building next door. The bed was comfortable but the sheets were a bit dirty. The room was very modern with and had a flat panel TV, however it had a pretty low volume limit, which can make it hard to hear from the bed. Below the TV was a refrigerator and a variety of candy. It had been a hot day, and all the chocolate bars that were laid out had melted in the heat. The refrigerator was locked, and required a key from downstairs. Once open, there was a variety of alcoholic beverages, soda, and juices to choose from, which of course cost a fee if opened.

The bathrooms were also very nice and modern. There were free toiletries including lotions, shampoos, and mouthwash. The only problem was that the bathroom doors have no locks. It is a sliding door much like a closet.

Near the bed there was an iPod dock stereo, and a CD player on the wall. This room was very techno friendly, as it also included free internet. However, it had to be wired which confines you to the desk.

Customer service at this hotel was great, besides one employee who checked us in when we arrived. He wasn't interested in he guest, and you could tell he wanted to go home. He told us that we had to give him a $200 DEPOSIT before we could get our room keys. This annoyed us but we agreed.

Reviewed June 26, 2010

We stayed one night here after a birthday party nearby. Booked the room about a week before we were going to stay and received a great rate online. I was a bit skeptical about what we would find once we checked in but figured it was only for one night and the rate was decent (way better than surrounding hotels). Luckily we were very surprised. This place was excellent. Very updated, clean, lobby folks were friendly, room was spacious, above and beyond what we expected. Safe to say we will stay here again when we need overnight lodging in Downtown San Jose!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple