“Great hotel for the cost.”

Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times when I visit my corporate HQ in San Jose.

I am Starwood Platinum, and spend 30-40 nights a year in hotels all over North America.

The location of this hotel is what really sets it apart from other things in its price range. I love being downtown, even if I have to stay in a little older hotel. You can walk to restaurants, bars, the hockey arena, coffee shops, literally everything of interest.

The hotel is a little dated, but nice and the rooms are very comfortable.

As several have mentioned, I really appreciated unlimited free water and coffee.

The lack of a business centre is a bit of a pain. The computer they have for use is silly expensive and run by a 3rd party. They should really address this.

The only other comment was that there was quite a bit of noise caused by hotel staff early in the morning. I had a laugh with a fellow guest who overheard me talking about the vacuuming and leaf blowing at 6am in the courtyard with the obvious sign asking guests to be considerate of other guests...

That aside there is not, in my opinion, another hotel in the 200 range in the area with better value.

I would certainly recommend this hotel to others. A good choice as long as you're not overly picky.

Enjoy!

Chris

Room Tip: Facing the back would likely be quieter if you are concerned.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed January 18, 2014

I would like to name front desk staff "Jana" and also the GM "Randy" for their great service during my stay. I couldn't log on to the internet and they really spent their time to connect me with the provider, and in the end I could use the internet freely. I also want to name "Les" at the Mosaic restaurant, he has been really helpful. This was probably the best Four Points I have ever stayed.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Thank you for your comments! We will be sure to share your kudos with the team. We were happy to help with the internet and make your stay enjoyable. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

I stayed for a conference and regretted it. The hotel was okay; I paid for a corner room and got it. It felt like my room was one of the nicest, yet was still on the border of dorm room trashy.

The real problem was the attitude of the front desk staff and the "mandatory" letter I was forced to sign.

With security clearance, 14 years/280 nights at Starwoods, and not a single legal issue in my life, being forced to sign something was completely and utterly offensive.

Next time? Marriott, Hilton, or Fairmont.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Josh L
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We value your loyalty to Starwood. Our Evening Policy is enforced on weekends to strive to maintain a relaxed and comfortable environment for all of our guests. We apologize if you felt that this was forced upon you. We cannot selectively enforce the policy. I’m happy to discuss this further with you if you wish. Please contact me directly – Randy, General Manager, randy.zimmerman@fourpointssanjosedowntown.com

Reviewed January 5, 2014

The setting: This property is in the downtown core of San Jose. If you need a central location and you are on a budget, then this is a solid choice. The hotel is fronted by a generic restaurant behind which is the front desk. There is a nice outdoor seating space just beside the entrance to the hotel, which is really a side entrance to the building. The attached parking lot is convenient, but is costly.

The room: Mine was a room with a king size bed. It was spacious but the solitary window faced an interior shaft, thus there was not much natural light and the room felt like a large cell. The bed was comfortable and the large, flat screen TV opposite the bed made relaxing in bed more enjoyable. The bathroom was nondescript. The water pressure was good. The free WiFi was a nice perk.

All in all, this is a good budget hotel in central San Jose. You can enjoy being walking distance to any downtown locale without breaking the bank.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We booked this hotel to go to the San Jose Sharks' Hockey Game so we don't have to drive late at night. The hotel definitely is centrally located near downtown restaurants and attractions. We walked about 1 mile to the stadium.
The hotel originally was an older hotel purchased by Sheraton so it has a quaint feel to it. The flip side is the hall way looks a little old and tired with some smell (not sure exactly what it is). Our room was very, very spacious, the room was clean and updated. There was one window, looking out was a very narrow view of the street, looking down is the roof of the first floor. The window is the old style wooden window without screen, however, locked to open about 3 inches max. There are double pulley blinds, the first layer is filter blind, the second layer blocks out light. Very functional and modern.
The staff was very friendly, we only interacted with them on check-in and check out.
There was a little "no compressor" freezer (meaning not as cold, but quiet and does not generate more heat) in the room that came in handy. Also, they offer free unlimited bottle water at the check-in counter and in room (2 bottles).
We got a great deal for a Sunday night stay. My only complaint is the parking on site is $25+ (with tax). There are public parking close by (from reading signs), however, it is hard to go search for them when you are not familiar with the area and not sure if the garage would allow over night stay either.

Room Tip: Room 319 has a King bed and is very spacious.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed at the Hotel in December due to the location to my office - The room was average - the stains on the carpet, the stains on the chair and bench were not very nice to look at. The creamer for the in-room coffee was spoiled, the street noise was really bad (especially with the cleaning of the hotel court-yard at the crack ok dawn and the trolley car.

Room Tip: Stay away from the courtyard
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank upnadam12
Reviewed December 28, 2013

First of all before anything.. I have read some of the terrible reviews.. You must put it into perspective.. (my son has moved here for work so have now been to San Jose several times in the last six months)... San Jose has a large homeless population and if you are in the city this is what you get.. Second, the parking lot is right there.. vs. other places with valet parking and then your car is taken off site.. We preferred this..
The room itself is fine.. The bed was great, the limited amenities in a four points were all working.. also if you want more then a running machine, your registration comes with access to Ballys just across the street. Access to downtown is perfect.. Just walk.. much easier... Although not large the room was clean comfy and exactly what we paid for.. this is not the first hotel with pocket doors to the bathroom (someone elses complaint)... We will (if we get a good deal) stay here again... you do pay 25 (with tax to park)... there really isnt any way around that in the downtown area... ...
Here are my only two negatives.. and they are big and caused much trouble for the rest of our trip.
The night staff does not speak any english.. none... we checked in at 3 a.m. (they knew we were coming and had everything on the desk for the night clerk.. ) He just stared at us and I said (pointing to the key) that is for us.. and we prepaid.. tried to ask about the parking lot.. decided to deal with it later... (lack of night staff will be brought up again in a minute.)
Anyway.. got to room.. things are fine..
Free coffee is served in the restaurant but not until 6:30.. but there is a lounge area to watch telly or read before this.. (while my other half sleeps in)...
After shift change (dec. 25) the day staff was very helpful .. gave me a parking voucher to place on my car and double checked our reservation.. all good..
(free bottles of water are always available.. many hotels charge)...
Morning two.. WARNING.. this was a big problem.... they have a very limited business center a comp. and printer in the lounge area of the tv. I could not get it to work.. went to the front desk.
Up early, the night staff this time a woman... She said that the first 15 minutes are FREE but you have to slide your cc to activate.. Got it.. only needed one thing and tired of looking at my cell screen..
Ran my card back and forth (yes I was stupid).. nothing. Turned off the whole system and back on.. then it shows no free time and must enter cc info to start.. (no charge for boarding passes)
...
Went back to the uninformed but polite lady at the front desk.. shared what happened.. she apologized and shared she really didn't know how it worked... realized I needed to wait until the day staff came on duty...
1/2 hour later.. Day-staff if on.. I explain what happened and if he could make sure my card had not been charged... He shared I had to call a third party company give them all my credit card info to make sure they didn't charge it.. REALLY, call a third party which I didn't want to have my info and give them my info so they don't charge...
Waited until my bank was open spoke to them and they cancelled our cards..
Upon check out ... I explained we would be back but that this caused a terrible inconvenient.. his response.. was to ask if the card had been charged yet... told him we cancelled it..
Given this is a hotel in a city with people coming in and out at all hours of flights.. a fully functioning staff is mandated.,
As to lobby and common areas it is a very old hotel but the architecture is nice and I really wouldnt make any changes.... very relaxing outside patio area also...
So yes will go back.. but never ask questions between 3 and 6 30 a.m. :)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family