“Average and a bit "tired" looking”

Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed at the Hotel in December due to the location to my office - The room was average - the stains on the carpet, the stains on the chair and bench were not very nice to look at. The creamer for the in-room coffee was spoiled, the street noise was really bad (especially with the cleaning of the hotel court-yard at the crack ok dawn and the trolley car.

Room Tip: Stay away from the courtyard
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank upnadam12

Reviewed December 28, 2013

First of all before anything.. I have read some of the terrible reviews.. You must put it into perspective.. (my son has moved here for work so have now been to San Jose several times in the last six months)... San Jose has a large homeless population and if you are in the city this is what you get.. Second, the parking lot is right there.. vs. other places with valet parking and then your car is taken off site.. We preferred this..
The room itself is fine.. The bed was great, the limited amenities in a four points were all working.. also if you want more then a running machine, your registration comes with access to Ballys just across the street. Access to downtown is perfect.. Just walk.. much easier... Although not large the room was clean comfy and exactly what we paid for.. this is not the first hotel with pocket doors to the bathroom (someone elses complaint)... We will (if we get a good deal) stay here again... you do pay 25 (with tax to park)... there really isnt any way around that in the downtown area... ...
Here are my only two negatives.. and they are big and caused much trouble for the rest of our trip.
The night staff does not speak any english.. none... we checked in at 3 a.m. (they knew we were coming and had everything on the desk for the night clerk.. ) He just stared at us and I said (pointing to the key) that is for us.. and we prepaid.. tried to ask about the parking lot.. decided to deal with it later... (lack of night staff will be brought up again in a minute.)
Anyway.. got to room.. things are fine..
Free coffee is served in the restaurant but not until 6:30.. but there is a lounge area to watch telly or read before this.. (while my other half sleeps in)...
After shift change (dec. 25) the day staff was very helpful .. gave me a parking voucher to place on my car and double checked our reservation.. all good..
(free bottles of water are always available.. many hotels charge)...
Morning two.. WARNING.. this was a big problem.... they have a very limited business center a comp. and printer in the lounge area of the tv. I could not get it to work.. went to the front desk.
Up early, the night staff this time a woman... She said that the first 15 minutes are FREE but you have to slide your cc to activate.. Got it.. only needed one thing and tired of looking at my cell screen..
Ran my card back and forth (yes I was stupid).. nothing. Turned off the whole system and back on.. then it shows no free time and must enter cc info to start.. (no charge for boarding passes)
...
Went back to the uninformed but polite lady at the front desk.. shared what happened.. she apologized and shared she really didn't know how it worked... realized I needed to wait until the day staff came on duty...
1/2 hour later.. Day-staff if on.. I explain what happened and if he could make sure my card had not been charged... He shared I had to call a third party company give them all my credit card info to make sure they didn't charge it.. REALLY, call a third party which I didn't want to have my info and give them my info so they don't charge...
Waited until my bank was open spoke to them and they cancelled our cards..
Upon check out ... I explained we would be back but that this caused a terrible inconvenient.. his response.. was to ask if the card had been charged yet... told him we cancelled it..
Given this is a hotel in a city with people coming in and out at all hours of flights.. a fully functioning staff is mandated.,
As to lobby and common areas it is a very old hotel but the architecture is nice and I really wouldnt make any changes.... very relaxing outside patio area also...
So yes will go back.. but never ask questions between 3 and 6 30 a.m. :)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2013

My fiancee and I wanted a place to stay after an evening of sampling the happy hours and restaurants of downtown, without the worry of driving home or finding a taxi. Some of the other hotels are a bit pricey for a 'date night' but we jumped at the price of the Sheraton - and we were pleasantly surprised! Fantastic location, right next to a more famous (and much more expensive!) hotel, and Cesar Chavez park where we were able to take in the Christmas at the Park festivities.

The renovation in 2000-2001 kept the exterior charm of the historic building, but inside the rooms were modern, spacious, comfortable, and tastefully decorated. I was worried that we had a room next to the elevator, but never heard even the slightest sound from it. The restaurant/bar was lively later in the evening, although lacking the power scene of some of the nearby hotel bars.

My only complaint is that when we went downstairs for breakfast at 10:00 the restaurant was closed... on a Saturday? Needs to be open for those of us who want to sleep in on the weekends!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of days with my boyfriend.
The hotel is very nice, clean and quiet ....the room is comfortable and you have everything you need!staff was very nice too and the location is great!i would recommend this hotel!enjoy!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annagreta132
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay! We appreciate the recommendation!

Reviewed November 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at this hotel when we were in town for a hockey game. It was a good location, and the complimentary water bottles and popcorn in the lobby were a nice touch, but I had a terrible sleep. The door to the room kept hitting against the door frame, which my boyfriend assumed was because air pressure in the hall. Whatever it was, I kept waking up, even wearing ear plugs. Hopefully the hotel will determine the cause of this issue and address it.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2013

we have spend two nights at four points at downtown san jose,
I feel the second time is better, the room is larger b/c it is at the corner,
it have fridge it is good.

we will go there again.

the bed is good,

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Service is fine. Parking is ok, but not great. Walking distance to many other restaurants. Guestrooms new and comfortable, particularly. WIFI Internet works fine. Nice bed and pillows. The staff was so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

We appreciate your comments - thank you for sharing! We're glad you enjoyed your stay and found our team helpful.