“A Sophisticated Hotel in San Jose. Who knew?!”

Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Bogota, Colombia
“A Sophisticated Hotel in San Jose. Who knew?!”
Reviewed July 9, 2008

Montgomery Hotel is a stylish boutique hotel-a very sophisticated fresh design within an historic building, just what I love. Staff were helpful, room was well appointed, wonderful bathroom with separate tub and shower. The workout room is very small and really just for cardio (with a few dumbbells). I didn't eat at the restaurant, but the hotel location is great for walking to other spots downtown. The only drawback for me was the mattress, which seemed sub par (I could feel the springs!). No one else mentioned that in their reviews, so I must have had a lemon. I would definitely come back here again. The hotel treats their guests well.

• Liked — the overall vibe is so positive; I felt happy staying there!
  • Disliked — the mattress
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Ferndale, CA
Reviewed July 8, 2008

We arrived at the Hotel Montgomery on Friday evening. My husband and I were staying in San Jose for two nights for a romantic weekend getaway. The staff was very friendly upon check-in and even called our room to make sure that everything was ok when we had gotten settled in. The room itself was a little smaller than a typical four-star, and the bed was a queen instead of a king. However, this was not really a problem. I liked the decor, the room was extremely clean, and the bathroom had adequate space. They provide robes in the room which are very soft and there are other amenities such as a make-up mirror, a computer desk, a hairdryer, iron, etc. The bed was extremely comfortable and had four pillows which was more than enough. I know some people had commented that they didn't have enough pillows in previous reviews. Overall it was a very good stay and I would certainly stay here again.

• Liked — Convenient to downtown, restaurants, coffee shops, etc.
  • Disliked — Room was a little small
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 13, 2008

I have been coming to San Jose off and on for business for over a year and can't believe I never tried the Hotel Montgomery. It's right across the street from where I do business but somehow it alluded me. I have mostly stayed at the Fairmont (luxurious but a gigantic building with lots of waiting for elevators and walking) and the Crowne Plaza (decent and good rates on Hotwire) but I think I will make the HM my new permanent choice. The room was clean and well decorated. The bed was really comfortable (no complaints about pillows like others - they give you two kinds). The minibar has unique items and very inexpensive (I had some candy for under $2). I had the continental breakfast - good coffee and "real" croissant (flaky not doughy) which came with the local paper. The internet is free - both wired and wireless and there is a terrific unit on the desk to use the wired connection and charge up all your devices. There is an ipod docking station and a great Brookstone wall mounted stereo. The shower is large and is a modified bathtub that requires a pretty steep step up and down to get in and out. I didn't mind and it's a great shower but elderly or disable people should double check if all room are like this. The towels are thin not becuase they're old - it's just a style. They are very absorbent. The Lather bath products were great. I booked the King Deluxe room where the tv does point straight toward the bed. I would opt for this in the future over a junior suite which has the issue of the tv being off to the side (probably to be viewed from tv and couch. My only complaint was noise coming from the courtyard below next to the bar but it was early and didn't last long. I would have also liked a full length mirror - one could easily be placed on the back of the closet door. There is a nice restaurant downstairs but you are also walking distance (less than a block in most cases) from many many restaurants, (and a book store and movie theater). Overall, an excellent choice in the San Jose Downtown area.

• Liked — the room size, quality continental breakfast, easy internet access, great minibar
  • Disliked — noise from bar downstairs
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 28, 2008

Because I was late in making my plans to attend a convention in San Jose, there were only two hotels left which were available at the convention rate: The Fairmont, and the Montgomery. I chose the Montgomery because it was slightly closer to the convention center than the Fairmont, and because it was in a quieter area.

Boy, did I make the right choice! I know Fairmont hotels are well-known for their luxury, but the Montgomery and its boutique Joie de Vivre chain (which I had never heard of before) can easily give them a run for their money. From the moment I entered the lobby, I could see the hotel's architectural history. I could sense it was one of those hotels that was part of a once-thriving downtown area that hit hard times, and was renovated for a more modern city center. At every step, particularly the retention of the hotel's original check-in desk, there were touches that honored the hotel's history, and yet the Montgomery is on par with any modern luxury hotel.

And that was just the lobby. The room was splendid! Beautiful earth tones, very plush bed with a ton of soft pillows, free wireless internet (though it could use some acceleration), and every conceivable amenity you could think of available for purchase from the mini-bar area.

The location is perfect! Two blocks from the convention center, but half a block off of San Carlos, the main thoroughfare, so it's very quiet (the occasional light rail notwithstanding). It's also right next door to a promenade that includes multiple restaurants and a movie theater, so you're never far away from any entertainment.

My best encapsulated description of the Hotel Montgomery was if the W Hotel brand wanted to put their touch on an old hotel without overpowering it with their trademark 21st century kitsch.

The only thing missing from the hotel is a pool and/or spa, but that was likely a limitation of the building's original architecture, which I will not disparage. At least they have a fitness center.

This is now my new favorite hotel in downtown San Jose (including the St. Claire).

• Liked — Appearance, location, amenities.
  • Disliked — Needs a pool and faster internet.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Otaking
Aptos, California
Reviewed May 27, 2008

The decor and location were great. Parking price was high but for convenience we just parked there instead of walking to 2nd street.

I have to say I love boutique hotels, they feel very personal and the service is usually top notch. I am not too picky on rooms (as long as they are clean, and this one was) the hotel was great overall, but there was just a few things that happened or we noticed - our ipod connector didn't work so we couldn't play our ipod, there was no hot water in the shower one day, an elevator was down, very limited counter space in the bathroom, our safe broke and had to be opened by maintenance, and you can hear everything being said and going on in the hallways while laying in bed. The only time I called the front desk was for the safe, the other things we could deal with (it was 105 degrees one day so the cold shower wasn't the worst possible thing).

Other wise the staff was very accommodating and helpful and the front patio is very nice. Room's are a good size for 2. Beds are comfy and large. Nice robes to lounge in. Refrigerator in the room was great to have. We had a room overlooking the Courtyard and we were able to get late check out at 2pm.

If I was to attend something in downtown SJ I would maybe stay here again, depending on the price (we paid 109 a night) and if there was something else cheaper. Overall a good stay, just a few hiccups that were not a big deal in my book.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank BG79
Long Beach, California
Reviewed March 9, 2008

We stayed here because it was 1 block away from the wedding we were attending.
Pros-
We arrived early at 10:30 am and we were able to check in. We had to switch to a room with a view of an apartment building, but it didn't matter since we were only there for one night.
Modern lobby decor and atmosphere was nice.
Room was a good size for 2 people.
Bed and pillows were comfortable
Overall room noise was not bad.
Location is good- near the airport and main buildings
Good toiletries from Lather.
Ipod dock and cd player

Cons-
The towels were too rough and scratchy. Poor quality.
For such a nice hotel they could have better shower heads rather than ones that spray the water out. They were cheapie looking.
If you were staying here long term there is not much space to unpack and organize your clothes. There is a decent sized closet to hang your clothes, but the drawers are really small and not deep enough.
I really did not like that the housekeepers took our towels when they came in to turn down the beds. Not sure why they didn't put them away or just replace them. We only had 1 towel for two people in the morning. The last thing you want to do is call housekeeping or hunt down the cart early in the morning when you just got out of the shower.

Nice looking hotel, but it seemed just average. I thought it would be amazing since it was ranked #2 by trip advisor. The bad towels was their downfall for me...If there were better towels, a nicer shower head, and if the housekeeper did not take our towels away then I would have given Hotel Montgomery a higher rating.

• Liked — ipod dock, bed, toiletries
  • Disliked — scratchy towels, shower head
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 1, 2008

This was my first visit to San Jose and I must say I'm glad I choose the Montgomery over the other bland chains.

You can stay at any number of the generic chains in San Jose. Take your pick. It's a town full of hotels but if you want something a little less like the McDonalds of hotels then try here.

As expected the staff were friendly, the cleaning frequent but the extra little touches were magnificant. The rooms were generously sized (compared to big cities especially) and the interiors lovely.

There were only two things that annoyed me:
a) The TV is in the cabinet and very hard to angle towards the bed. There was plenty of room to put a table in for the TV.

b) The pillows were pretty poor quality. They were the type that fluff up nicely but when you actually put your head on them they dissapear.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business