Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Stayed at the Four Points on a Friday night in early March of 2012. Received a good deal and the location is awesome, right in downtown San Jose, one block from the convention center. The hotel property was nice, but nothing to write home about. They charge $20 for self parking, which is not bad for this part of town. Check-in was smooth and friendly. Room was small, but clean and comfortable. Amenities were nice. Our room was suposed to have a flat screen TV, but did not. Kind of a bummer, but no big deal. For the price and location, it was worth it.

Room Tip: Rooms are small, bed was comfortable.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown

Reviewed March 7, 2012

Stayed Friday & Saturday over President's Day weekend. For the price (AAA discount) and considering it was a holiday weekend, a very good deal. Location is excellent. One reason we chose this hotel was that it was in walking distance to restaurants and nightclubs (no driving after drinking!). There is also a movie theater across the street.
The hotel is older, but nicely updated. We had a room in the back that faced other windows, but no problem...we were only there to sleep. The nice thing is that the window opened for fresh air in the AM. The bed was comfortable, we slept very well. Oh, also a rarity in hotels, but great water pressure in the shower!
The staff was excellent. We only had breakfast in the hotel restaurant, and it was good. Get there before 10AM, that's when they stop serving breakfast. We weren't aware of this the first morning and got there at 2 minutes to 10, but were able to order.
We also utilized the hotel self parking, again for convenience sake...no problems with it.

All in all a great weekend and because of it's convenience, comfort and great customer service, will definitely consider staying there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I travel often but I have never written a review except when I want to register a complaint, So, right now, sitting in the king size bed in room 426 looking out on the light rail, main street and courtyard below, writing a good review, is a unique experience,

My advice is to stay here and eat here. This is a nice historic hotel with good staff, GREAT food and a terrific location. If you're older (like me) you'll appreciate that the hotel is hip. If you're young, you'll love that the hotel is hip and the people downstairs looks like they read/practice vogue.

I wish I had more work in San Jose so that I could stay here more often.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 17, 2012

From the title of my review, you can guess I liked the location! Convenient to restaurants, a supermarket, transportation, and the HP Pavilion. I got a very good AAA rate that included a full breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The breakfast items were satisfactory and the service was quite accomodating. In all fairness, I stayed for 9 nights, so I think I grew somewhat bored with the menu choices after a while. There was a slight issue with figuring out how the free breakfast worked. Three front desk staffers gave me three different answers, but in the end it all worked out. If you get a rate with breakfast included, make sure it's sorted out at the beginning of your stay. The room itself was a good size. It was much more square than most hotel rooms (I liked that a lot--it made the room feel larger) and well maintained. I was not overly fond of the spartan look of the decor and the upholstery on my chair was badly stained. Though, I have to say that the ergonomic desk chair was most comfortable. The worst feature of my room was its proximity to the balconies of the residential bulding next door. What's the use of big windows and bright sunny weather if you are afforded no privacy. All in all, though, I recommend this Four Points.

Room Tip: Not sure what side of the hotel I was on, but I could practically reach out and touch the balconies...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Ok location being downtown. Parking at $20 is annoying. No health club at all. The treadmill has been broken for 2 months and the volume and on the TV does not work. I have reported this several times.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
FourpointsGMSanJose, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2012

Hi: Thanks for your input. I'm sorry to hear that your stay was disappointing, and apologize for any inconvenience incurred. I've shared your comments with our management team for review and action.

As further clarification to your points, please note the following:

- We do not own the parking lot, hence the fees charged are "passed through" to the lot's owners. On a positive note, our fees are consistent to (or below) those charged by other downtown hotels.

- We offer a listing of lower priced parking facilities within the area, available at the our front desk; you may also email me directly for a listing at randy.zimmerman@fourpointssanjosedowntown.com . These facilities do not offer "in & out" privileges or room charging, however, and payment is made upon exit. There are also metered locations in the area; our parking map shows the locations of those as well.

- We actually do have a (small) health club/fitness room on property. However, recognizing space limitations, we offer unlimited complimentary passes to Bally Total Fitness (just across the street). These are included in the key pack issued at check in, and on request. This amenity is listed on our website, and stated on signs at the entry and interior of the hotels' fitness room.

- I'm sorry that the headphone jack on the treadmill was not functional during your visit. We have contacted the manufacturer for warranty repair, as the unit is new. That said, there is a large 42" TV in the fitness room, for your enjoyment as well. As your review seems to incidate that the treadmill itself is not functional, I would respectfully point out that the treadmill itself operates as intended.

- We could not duplicate your comment regarding the televisions’ volume issues; there is a remote attached to the TV itself which regulates the channels and volume.

Thanks again for your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit. If I can be of any personal assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me at the email address listed above.

Thanks,

Reviewed February 6, 2012

I have stayed at Four Points San Jose several times now. One would never suspect that this hotel is a Four Points due to its excellent service and attractive lobby and rooms. During both of my visits the service was excellent, both in the restaurant and the hotel itself. The food at the restaurant is terrific both at dinner and breakfast. The hotel is within walking distance of San Jose's best attractions. Overall the hotel is a great bargain.
My only wish is that it were pet friendly!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
FourpointsGMSanJose, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2012

Hi Holymolyma!

Thanks so much for your great review. I've shared your comments with our team, as we all take great pleasure hearing that our efforts are noticed and appreciated! We're proud of our 100+ year heritage in providing San Jose visitors with the best in accomodations and dining, and look forward to our next century of great achievements.

As to pets, we'd very much like to welcome them; as the proud "parent" of three 4-legged friends, I regret that we can't offer anywhere convenient to "walk" them. FYI, if you Google-search "pet friendly hotels" you'll find a host of establishments that welcome pets. (I sincerely wish we were one of them...!!!)

Thanks again,

Randy Zimmerman, GM

Reviewed January 14, 2012

I have been traveling extensively to San Jose for the past several months, and the Four Points is now my home away from home...Rates are generally much better than other nearby major flags, and the Four Points flag seems out of place...this hotel feels more like a Sheraton than a FP...The facility is right next to VTA, and has great food right next door too (Try The Grille, McCormicks & Schmidts or Original Joes).

I've also stayed at the Sheraton San Jose quite a bit, but it's not nearly as nice. The FP has free internet for everyone (not just Starwood Platinums), and the decor feels newer.

Be aware, though, that hotels in San Jose/Silicon Valley tend to book heavily Tues-Thurs, so availability becomes an issue very regularly...weekends and Mondays are a breeze, but Tues-Thurs can see nightly rates double quite regularly...so book those stays early!

Room Tip: Second floor over the restaurant *used* to be an issue mid-week but the restaurant has changed hands...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
FourpointsGMSanJose, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2012

We are always so grateful to hear such great feedback from our guests when referring to our hotel. Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our facility, I am glad to hear we've become your "home away from home"!

Thank you again!