“Good location & service but in transition?”

Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Prior to making the reservation the website had a link to their restaurant. The link was dead. When I attempted to email the hotel (contact us button on the website), the email address went to someone under a different hotel name (prior or future non-Four Points hotel name). It bounced back. When I called the hotel to discuss the issues, they didn't seem particularly concerned. Left my contact information but heard nothing back from the property manager.

About the stay:
One-night stay in May 2011. Booked directly through the hotel.
Location is convinient: downtown near several restaurants and entertainment venues. Walking distance to SJSU and public transit as well.
Standard room was huge.
The distance from the TV and head of bed was probably 10-15 feet away. Strange layout.

Check-in agent was friendly and professional, but failed to describe any of the hotel ammenities. A nearby male agent (or manager?) largely ignored me. Overall, check in felt like a 2-star hotel.

The stay was otherwise free of problems and the bed was quite comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed June 29, 2011

I booked several rooms for myself and my co-workers for a week long conference. We all showed up on time, stayed in our room, and payed for our rooms. I later found an extra charge of $134 on my credit card. After not returning my calls several times, a manager finally told me it was a late cancellation fee for a room in the name of Steve T. I explained that Steve T stayed in the hotel all week and payed for his room. The manage looked that information up and confirmed I was correct. She said she would send an email to coporate to refund my money. After weeks of inaction and me calling and asking for updates, I was finally told that they would not refund my money. She said it was a double booking (their fault, I made the reservations over the phone), but since the hotel was full that night they would not give me a refund.

If you want to get screwed over, this is a good place for it.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank NickC5000
FourpointsGMSanJose, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2011

I'm sorry to hear about this issue; please contact me directly at 408-282-8810 to discuss.

Thanks,
Randy Zimmerman

Reviewed June 19, 2011

The bed was comfortable, but the room was REALLY small, as well was the bathroom.
Other Con's:
- It didn't even had a small wardrobe to hang our coats. This has never happened to me before in a Starwood hotel (even Ibis Hotels have some hangers in a wall to be able of hanging some clothes).
- The access to the internet using the PC in the lobby was paid (and not cheap!). When you have much cheaper hotels with this service, I really don't understand why Four Points can't have it (although some Four Points where I stayed before already have it, this was not the case). Parking was not complimentary too.
Pros:
They provide complimentary water.
Check-in and check-out very efficient and fast. Friendly staff.
Didn't hear much noise. Could not hear anyone from next room, and I know it was occupied.
Clean bed and bathroom; modern room with nice decoration.
Good towels and linens.
Overall, too expensive ($143.1 without taxes) for what we've got!

Room Tip: Try not to stay in room 422.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2011

We stayed at the Four Points with our infant and two year old in March 2011. The service at the front desk was excellent. They went over and beyond to be helpful with the crib set-up and other needs of our young children. The location of the hotel is excellent for walking to museums, parks, restaurants or the SJSU campus. I couldn't recommend this hotel more. .

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2011

This is an example of a perfectly good hotel that I left feeling unenthusiastic about because of the "industry standard" nickel-and-diming. Located in downtown San Jose, it is very near other major hotels and the convention center, and its sized is dwarfed by its neighbors. The room was very nice in terms of the very comfortable bed and furnishings. I have no major complaints, but a number of minor ones. First, the two hotel elevators are slow and one of them is TINY. Second, the rooms lack a mini-fridge and microwave, although upon check-in, I was asked, "Do you want the key to the mini-bar?" My answer instantly was "no" because I'm afriad to even LOOK AT a locked mini-bar for fear that I will be charged. So, for refrigeration, I had to use ice in the bathroom sink. Third, I was likewise disappointed with the TV service - they didn't have The CW network (although after I complained, they said there was a problem with LodgeNet and restored it after I had missed my show) and had the typical, very limited selection of basic cable networks (but, of course, plenty of pay-per-view). The TVs are flatscreen but non-HD (I don't understand why the hotel industry has not caught up to the HD standard that everyone has in their homes?). The hotel entrace is a bit awkward in that it's not streetfront; you have to walk down a little sidewalk from the street. Also, the layout of the hallways on the guestroom floors is disorenting and the signs are confusing. Parking is naturally outrageously expensive, and although perhaps no worse than competitors, it still offends me to have to pay $20+ per night for parking as a hotel guest. There is a restuarant (with some outdoor tables) that did not seem to be very popular. The one area where I didn't feel nickeled-and-dimed was the wireless internet service, which was included in the room rate. Overall, I left this hotel feeling it was an average place to stay - it was adequate but did not impress me. Nor would I specifically want to stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 5, 2011

I was visiting friends in San Jose and needed a room to stay for one night downtown. The Fourpoints is right in the middle of downtown with a lots of restaurants, bars and clubs in walking distance. So the location is just perfect for going out. The hotel itself was very clean and the staff nice but I only talked with them during check-in which was fast and efficient. They offered me right away a map of San Jose with restaurants and bars on it. The room I got was very large. So large that half of the room was just dead space. The bathroom on the other side was a bit small but had all the necessary things. So over all a good place to stay if you want to be downtown.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 20, 2011

I like Four Points. They are great value hotels - rooms are modern with all modern gadgets - CD players, flatscreen tvs etc. Big comfy bed. Complimentary water. This ohe has a great downtown location on the edge of the entertainment district and a block away from the museums. Downtown though means noise. The hotel is small - only four floors of rooms - I was on top floor and could hear drunks on the street, street cleaner vans in early hours, streetcars etc. The room was provided with a 'good nights sleep kit' - with earplugs, chamomile tea and a jazz cd loaded into the cd player - so the hotel is very much aware of the noise issue.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple