“Dim Sum in an unexpected location, very convenient by airport” 4 of 5 bubbles

Jade Cathay
Ranked #296 of 2,142 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Dim Sum in an unexpected location, very convenient by airport”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

After spending almost three days in nearby Palo Alto for a family wedding and eating American continental meals, my parents needed a change of eatery. They were craving Chinese food of any kind, even if it meant not so good, they wanted something Chinese. With our luck, my best friend lives in San Jose and treated us to dim sum at Jade Cathay mainly because we didn't have much time before our 1:00 pm flight home to L.A. and she thought it would be convenient to eat and hop next door to SJC terminal.

The decor was very old and dark, but the food made up for that. Dim Sum was piping hot! My parents enjoyed it and they are usually very picky people who rarely will compliment a Chinese restaurant so I thought it was a desperation opinion, but they said it really was pretty good considering that most of the dim sum down in L.A. has lost its flare. The only complaint they had was the stickiness and gooeyness of the har gow skin, it literally melted on contact and made for a messy and sloppy grab with chopsticks. Flavor was good though. The highlight here was that they still serve items (old school items) that are not commonly found anymore at dim sum palaces like Chinese sugar puffed donuts and black sesame balls dusted with crushed peanuts. It was like reliving my childhood days all over again and I was content and beaming as I was savoring every morsel of my dim sum dessert. Highly enjoyed it.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TravelBees8

California
“Uneven dining experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I actually would rate JC 2.5 if I could given the service and the food quality we received. It was uneven. The quality of the 7 dishes we ordered ranged from bad to very good. The egg rolls were not fresh and appeared to be re-fried from the earlier dim sum service and were over cooked and soggy. The best dish ordered was a tofu and scallop dish with ginger and black bean sauce. It was flavorful and the scallops were wonderfully fresh. There were nice touches such as a bowl of shrimp chips (somewhat oily) brought out as we waited to order and complimentary mango pudding at the end of the meal. I think it possible that this was Sunday night staffed by the B team. Knowing there are many other restaurant options, it is unlikely we will return to JC for dinner again. We had higher expectations.

• Visited August 2013
Pittsford, New York
“wonderful Cantonese style cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

I've been in San Jose many times, and tried most of the local favorite Chinese restaurants. This one seems to be a hidden gem that I discovered on my own.

The place is actually packed even when we arrived at 8:30pm. The food is Cantonese style, with excellent flavor. I would suggest their duck beaks, braised and then lightly fried. The lobster ramen noodle is excellent.

Visited July 2013
San Jose, California
“Good Dim Sum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

I really enjoy coming here for the dim sum. I like the variety and it is always freshly made. Grace, she may be one of the owners, seems to always come by and say hello and check on you to see how your food is. I have been here by myself, with one other person, and a large group and have found them to always be accommodating to our requests. This is my "go to" place for dim sum in the South Bay.

• Visited June 2013
Kapaa, Hawaii
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The real deal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

When we first walked in i was taken aback. A large cafeteria-like room, filled to the brim and very very loud. Almost turned around but decided to stay. We were the only irish couple there and the only ones eating with a fork? :). This is the real deal, excellent authentic chinese food!

Visited May 2013