“Excellent Stay, A Couple of Hiccups”

Hotel Valencia - Santana Row
Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
NY, New York
“Excellent Stay, A Couple of Hiccups”
Reviewed September 12, 2007

The Valencia is an excellent choice if you're going to be in San Jose. Architecturally attractive, superbly decorated, with an amazing outdoor pool & hot tub on the roof under the stars. Most recently, our last few hotel stays have been at the Ritz Carlton in other cities and we found our room at the Valencia to be attractively decorated. We stayed at the Valencia over Labor Day weekend and had a pleasant experience. Housekeeping turned the room a couple times a day (without asking) which is nice as we showered before dinner and return to a cleaned room. One should definately take advantage of the pool and the lounge on the roof - perfect for catching sun sets or gazing at the stars.

A few items of note: housekeeping was slow to respond to a request for shampoo (they missed stocking the bathroom with shampoo before we arrived) - 25 minutes and only after 2 calls and a personal visit to the front desk (not convenient when in the midst of a shower). The valet charged us the parking fee each time we took the car out (versus once per day). Lastly, the bed in our room was very firm - not sure if all the others are the same.

We would stay at the Valencia again if we're looking for a place in San Jose.

• Liked — architetural style and rooftop pool
  • Disliked — The mattress was too firm
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SCG2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Newbury
Reviewed September 4, 2007

We attended this for a company kick off meeting in January 2007 and it was a perfect venue for the event. We hired about two floors worth of rooms (including some suites) and none of the guests were dissapointed.

We hope to go back again next year.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank tallphilc
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 20, 2007

Even though I'm a local, I did end up staying in this hotel for once night.

The hotel is pretty new - so it does have that modern look, but not minimalist. It's in an ideal location - right on Santana Row - where you have multiple choices on where to eat (Left Bank has a very good lamb dish, avoid the irish pub for food, but it's a lively place at night).

We had a room with a little balcony facing the outside portion of the V Bar (V Bar 2nd floor is a good place to hang out and grab some drinks, especially if you're lucky enough to snag one of the very comfortable cushioned chairs! There are fire pits there and heat lamps, so no need to worry about the evening CA chill).

On the top floor of the hotel is a little bar/lounge area that's outside. Head up there to catch the sunset .

The room was clean and a pretty good size. The beds were comfortable and the staff was excellent. The valet was pretty quick as well. Our breakfast that we had brought to our room had plenty of options, but it is a bit pricey (my friend and I paid $54 for breakfast brought to our room).

If I'm ever planning another all-nighter on Santana Row, I'll would stay here again.

• Liked — Location!!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank OhCurious1
Palo Alto, CA
Reviewed June 10, 2007

First, the positive. The hotel IS a destination. You are in the middle of all the food and shopping you could ever want. No need to drive anywhere. It's clean, nice decor, trendy without going overboard on the hip-ness. Nice small pool and jacuzzi to hang out and soak up some rays. Two fire pits in the courtyard, which was a very nice touch. Very friendly check-in people. Really just a cool hotel geared to a younger crowd that happens to be able to afford it.

I just got back today, on Saturday there was an alarm in the hotel that went off (we didn't have to evacuate as it was resolved relatively quickly) and there was an elevator problem which may have had them out for an hour or so. We were given apology letters on each occurence. You could argue that we were inconvenienced a tiny bit but, that personal touch of the letter (TWO of them at separate times) made a huge difference.

There are two minor negatives. The first, the television, if a hotel is going for trendy or hip or chic, ditch the older style Panasonic and go flat screen. Doesn't have to be fancy but, it should be modern. Also, the noise. There's not much they can do about this except strengthen the glass. I was on the 4th floor, balcony room facing the Starbucks park area which also has an Irish restaurant/pub. At midnight those people empty out and hang out, loudly, for a while. This can definitely interfere with your sleep. Request an interior room if you have the option or something on the 7th floor might be a little better.

If those two things were different I would've rated this Excellent, having said that, it was very close! Oh, and keep an eye out for better online deals, if you find one, they do honor their guarantee (I found one, got a lower rate and a free night for future use).

• Liked — The Location and Pool
  • Disliked — the noise late at night
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rick94301
Los Angeles
Reviewed May 29, 2007

HOtel Valencia was a wonderful surprise. I recently had to travel through San JOse for work. I checked into HOtel Valencia and felt as though I had checked in to some sort of exotic oasis...the decor is modern with an asian flare and my room was so comfortable I really had to push myself to leave. The bed is the best I've ever slept on, hands down. And the room's beautiful shutters block out the morning light so well I really could have stayed there in bed all the next day.
That said, I did explore the hotel and enjoyed the sunset on the hotel roof at their cozy wine bar and my breakfast in the hotel courtyard (beside a wonderful water fixture) was delicious and relaxing. And this might sound silly to mention, but they have the best shampoo/soaps...from a place called Lather, which is one of the great shops along the outdoor mall at Santana Row surrounding the hotel. I can't wait to go back with some friends for a mini weekend retreat.

• Liked — The location on Santana Row is so convenient, and the rooms are so comfortable.
  • Disliked — There was nothing I didn't like.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Cassadaga
modesto, ca
Reviewed March 13, 2007

I've stayed here a couple of times. The hotel is trendy and I find the lighting in the rooms a little weak. It would be difficult for more than two women to share this room. The bathroom lacks places to put your things. However, I like staying here because of the location. I enjoy shopping, going to the spa, eating, & people watching in Santana Row. The nightlife in Santana Row is great too so this hotel is perfect for not having to worry about a designated driver. The free breakfast is "continental" but it reminds me more of a European continental, with fruits, cereals, bread and hot food. It's a nice way to get filled up for a day of shopping.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lighting
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank dteacher
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 12, 2007

Stayed her recently on a saturday..check in was fast and friendly, our room was very nicely decorated but a little on the dark side for me.. Our major problem was sleep. We went to bed around midnight, the noise from the courtyard was still a bit loud but we finally fell asleep. About an hour later we awoke to people laughing and talking really loud in the hallway near our door..they were out there a good ten minutes before they finally left. Two hours later, again..more loud talking and even yelling at some point..I was so upset and if it wasn't for the fact that we had parked down the street in an underground space we would of packed up and left...

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — rooms too noisy
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple