“Great stay, nothing outstanding”

Hotel Valencia - Santana Row
Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
San Jose, California
“Great stay, nothing outstanding”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My boyfriend and I used a gift certificate to stay here, so I can't really complain about much since it was complimentary. But I did want to write a review anyway. When we checked in, there weren't many people in the lobby yet we were not really greeted or acknowledged as welcoming as I would have expected. The front desk agents barely looked up or made eye contact, a slight hello and no smiles, and very little conversation. I work at a hotel myself, and good first impressions are a MUST in this industry and I felt a little jipped. But hey, what can ya do? We got a room on the 5th floor with a balcony and it was gorgeous. It had been recently redone and they decor was pretty and modern with a classy touch. The bedding was very comfortable, the bathroom was clean, and the complimentary fruit and waters were a nice touch. We also tried V Bar, which I had not been to, and the drinks were a little pricey but good (can't expect anything less price wise from Santana Row) and the bar tenders were nice. It was a good experience there and I was appreciative of that. We really enjoyed being able to come back to our room at the end of the night and see the lights outside the balcony and lounge/sleep on the super comfy bed, though the pillows were a bit squishy. We also appreciated that housekeeping did not knock on our door before check out, which happens at some hotels, and that they respected out Do Not Disturb sign. Sleeping in was a luxury for us! Upon check out, I would like to recognize Shelby, who provided the best service we encountered our whole stay. She was friendly, talkative, and seemed genuinely interested in how our stay went. She smiled and joked around with us, overall, a VERY pleasant person and attribute to Hotel Valencia. Shelby is what customer service is all about! In general, I would definitely stay here again as I was pleased with it overall, but nothing stood out to me to make it a GO TO place. I really would suggest touching up on the customer service skills, as a better experience in that department would have made my review infinitely better.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony! It's nice!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Valencia. I am sorry that not all associates were as welcoming and friendly as Shelby. However, I will enjoy sharing our positive feedback with her as well as the other associates.

We hope that you will have another opportunity to return soon. As you mentioned enjoying the Vbar, I wanted to share that it has been completed renovated since your stay and now has a new look.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Bonnie Best, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Oakland, California
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed in a Junior Suite for NYE and everything was great! They gave us a bottle of champagne and a bottle of red wine. The rooms and the service are always great. Plus they have a wonderful breakfast. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great comments regarding your New Year's Eve stay! Look forward to seeing you next year!

Bonnie Best
Lakebay, Washington, United States
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Our family truely enjoyed Hotel Valencia. Friendly smiles on the staff, fast room service and whenever we needed anything it was always delivered with a smile. We choose this hotel because if its location to The Winchester Mystery Mansion (which is just two blocks away) and to SJC. The lobby decor was quiet and reverant with Buddah fountain, elegant, and had lots of inviting cusions. Little secret nooks everywhere and the beaded curtains! WOW! The complimentary continental breakfast surpassed the dreary and dry of most hotels with HV serving hot eggs, hot oatmeal, and fresh juices, cold cuts, and breads. I have traveled and stayed in hundreds of hotels, zimmers, hostels, and elite mansions. For the price, Hotel Valencia is an outstanding value for a family. Don't forget your swim suits!

Room Tip: We had a room that overlooked the public courtyard, there was a musician (average) we had to listen...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Delighted that your family enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you will choose Valencia if you have an opportunity to be back in San Jose.

Bonnie Best
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary... Location is great right from the out doors is Santana Row shopping street. There are many shops and restaurants . The hotel itself is nice with spacious room and bathroom. Staff is great always friendly and smiling. even congratulated us on our anniversary. P.s. You got to try the desert doughnuts from Citrus restaurant in the hotel there yummy lol

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
usa
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

The hotel looks promising when you arrive with valet parking and the obligatory Tesla (rented?) parked outside.

Once you reach the third floor lobby, your enthusiasm starts sagging as the low headroom begins to give you a dark and claustrophobic feeling.

Our breakfast experience captures all the problems of this hotel. The windowless room in which breakfast is served is dimly lit and faintly depressing. That also applies to the clientele. Some tables are communal so you don't quite know who's going to invade your space (part of the charm?).

Service is practically non-existent except for clearing tables. Food selection at the breakfast buffet in Citrus is spartan (there were scrambled eggs but no bacon or sausage, for example).

The hotel is well-located for shopaholics who want to patronize the Santana Row shops but, otherwise, avoid.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your experience at our hotel. I do want to share with you that the hotel is in the process of being renovated with a much brighter and lighter look. All of the guest rooms will be completed by this weekend. The Vbar was completed at the end of January and the lobby will be done by the end of March.

Our included complimentary continental breakfast has quite a variety of items and we are always reviewing for any items requested. Hot items such as waffles, pancakes, prepared to order eggs with sides and other items may be ordered a la carte at a charge.

I do apologize that due to physical limitations, the space is limited. When the hotel is sold out, it can be up to 400+ guests and our restaurant has 65 seats.

We hope that you will have an opportunity to see the new, brighter look soon. Again, thank you for your feedback which we do take very seriously.

Bonnie Best, General Manager
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We recently stayed for one evening as a stop over for a long road trip. As we arrived in the evening, when we turned the corner onto Santana Row, we were greeted with a beautifully lit street full of luxury stores and the hotel right smack in the middle of it all. We were relieved at the valet parking as the streets were very crowded with holiday shoppers trying to find parking. The valet was very nice and cordial, but the valet who retrieved the car the next morning was not as friendly. The public areas were cozy, and the ambiance was charming. We were able to get a reduced AAA rate that came with a continental breakfast, so we were pleased with that. Registration was ok, not overly welcoming.

Room: It was actually quite large and overlooked the inner courtyard (it was noisy earlier in the evening with groups of people gathering, but quieted down), with a king bed and very spacious area for the extra cot for our son. I'd imagine, it would be great for a family with a baby since there would be plenty of room for a crib. The room was very long and had a long table/shelf (no drawers) that held the TV and an empty refrigerator (It was great to not have to ask for one!). There was also a chair set up to make it function like a desk, but it really was an odd configuration. There were 2 nightstands and just a couple of bulit-in drawers inconveniently right where the room door was. The bathroom was small with very little counter space and had a tub/shower. The cararra marble was looking a bit tired.

Pool area: Too cold to use for us, but it was beautiful and you could peer over the side and watch the action on Santana Row.
Fitness center: clean, smallish but had nice equipment.

Continental breakfast: We were pleasantly surprised that this breakfast included hot items like scrambled eggs and sausage hash. There were the usual cereals, pastry, toast items, yogurt, fruit, juices and coffee. My complaint is that the temperature of the food was lukewarm. I and another guest had to ask the wait staff to warm up our coffees. We also ate at this same restaurant, Citrus, for dinner. It was just ok.

Security: After returning from our stroll down Santana Row around 9 pm, we were met by security at the roped-off hotel entrance and were asked to show our room key. This took us by surprise, but as I started to open my purse, he said, "Never mind I believe you. Go ahead." Before going to our room, we were exploring the fitness center and pool area on the same floor and were met with security who said we were in restricted areas (???). I thought we had gone after the facilities closed, but once back in our room, I discovered they were not supposed to be closed at that time. I don't know what to make of all this security. Did the guy follow us up to make sure we were really guests? Safe, but definitely intrusive. Hotel guests shouldn't be made to prove their status like this in a nice part of town.

Local area: The biggest benefit is the ability to walk out of the hotel right onto the shopping row. There are lots of restaurants and shops. The evenings are busy with young professionals queueing up for a spot at the bar.

The best: convenience and charm
The worst: standoffish staff and overzealous security
Would I stay here again? Maybe.

Room Tip: If you want convenience to the pool area and fitness center, ask to be on the 5th floor where both a...
Poughquag, New York
Reviewed December 26, 2013

My family of 4 spent the long weekend prior to Xmas at Hotel Valencia. We reserved a standard double with balcony. After a long travel day, we arrived at the hotel. At check-in, we unexpectedly got a great gift from the hotel. Instead of the standard double, we ended up with an executive suite with 2 balconies. We entered the room and could not believe the size of it. Room 665 had two sets of sofas, a large dining room table, 2 TVs, and separately, a large king bed. The front desk said they ran out of standard doubles, so they upgraded us to the suite (and for free). We did the stay 4 nights, pay for 3 nights, so we really got a fantastic deal. We really enjoyed the hotel. The entire staff was very friendly and attentive. I would give a special shout-out to the valet parking staff. During our stay, my family enjoyed walking around Santana Row, I had family and work obligations, so I had to take the car out multiple times a day. The valet parking team were very nice and quickly got my car, even during the very crowded weekend prior toXmas. My family had a wonderful stay at this hotel.