“Convenient but unfriendly”

Hotel Valencia - Santana Row
Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We recently stayed for one evening as a stop over for a long road trip. As we arrived in the evening, when we turned the corner onto Santana Row, we were greeted with a beautifully lit street full of luxury stores and the hotel right smack in the middle of it all. We were relieved at the valet parking as the streets were very crowded with holiday shoppers trying to find parking. The valet was very nice and cordial, but the valet who retrieved the car the next morning was not as friendly. The public areas were cozy, and the ambiance was charming. We were able to get a reduced AAA rate that came with a continental breakfast, so we were pleased with that. Registration was ok, not overly welcoming.

Room: It was actually quite large and overlooked the inner courtyard (it was noisy earlier in the evening with groups of people gathering, but quieted down), with a king bed and very spacious area for the extra cot for our son. I'd imagine, it would be great for a family with a baby since there would be plenty of room for a crib. The room was very long and had a long table/shelf (no drawers) that held the TV and an empty refrigerator (It was great to not have to ask for one!). There was also a chair set up to make it function like a desk, but it really was an odd configuration. There were 2 nightstands and just a couple of bulit-in drawers inconveniently right where the room door was. The bathroom was small with very little counter space and had a tub/shower. The cararra marble was looking a bit tired.

Pool area: Too cold to use for us, but it was beautiful and you could peer over the side and watch the action on Santana Row.
Fitness center: clean, smallish but had nice equipment.

Continental breakfast: We were pleasantly surprised that this breakfast included hot items like scrambled eggs and sausage hash. There were the usual cereals, pastry, toast items, yogurt, fruit, juices and coffee. My complaint is that the temperature of the food was lukewarm. I and another guest had to ask the wait staff to warm up our coffees. We also ate at this same restaurant, Citrus, for dinner. It was just ok.

Security: After returning from our stroll down Santana Row around 9 pm, we were met by security at the roped-off hotel entrance and were asked to show our room key. This took us by surprise, but as I started to open my purse, he said, "Never mind I believe you. Go ahead." Before going to our room, we were exploring the fitness center and pool area on the same floor and were met with security who said we were in restricted areas (???). I thought we had gone after the facilities closed, but once back in our room, I discovered they were not supposed to be closed at that time. I don't know what to make of all this security. Did the guy follow us up to make sure we were really guests? Safe, but definitely intrusive. Hotel guests shouldn't be made to prove their status like this in a nice part of town.

Local area: The biggest benefit is the ability to walk out of the hotel right onto the shopping row. There are lots of restaurants and shops. The evenings are busy with young professionals queueing up for a spot at the bar.

The best: convenience and charm
The worst: standoffish staff and overzealous security
Would I stay here again? Maybe.

Room Tip: If you want convenience to the pool area and fitness center, ask to be on the 5th floor where both a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed December 26, 2013

My family of 4 spent the long weekend prior to Xmas at Hotel Valencia. We reserved a standard double with balcony. After a long travel day, we arrived at the hotel. At check-in, we unexpectedly got a great gift from the hotel. Instead of the standard double, we ended up with an executive suite with 2 balconies. We entered the room and could not believe the size of it. Room 665 had two sets of sofas, a large dining room table, 2 TVs, and separately, a large king bed. The front desk said they ran out of standard doubles, so they upgraded us to the suite (and for free). We did the stay 4 nights, pay for 3 nights, so we really got a fantastic deal. We really enjoyed the hotel. The entire staff was very friendly and attentive. I would give a special shout-out to the valet parking staff. During our stay, my family enjoyed walking around Santana Row, I had family and work obligations, so I had to take the car out multiple times a day. The valet parking team were very nice and quickly got my car, even during the very crowded weekend prior toXmas. My family had a wonderful stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 13, 2013

The Valenica never lets me down. It's in a great location - OK Santana Row is a little artificial, but once you get over that, it's probably the most interesting part of San Jose. Breakfasts are usually very good (though a little worse on this last trip than usually), the beds are the second most comfortable in the world after my bed, and the rooms are always clean and the staff friendly. Only a few very minor issues:
1. Bathrooms are functional but not beautiful
2. Hotel is a little gloomy - which is great in the summer, but not so good in the winter.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that faces out rather than in on the courtyard.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 6, 2013

This is the nicest hotel of which I have had the pleasure of staying. The hotel and rooms were so beautiful and clean. The bed was THE MOST comfortable bed I have ever used. I slept so, so well. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Double check on a cab arrival if you need to get somewhere on time. There was a bit of a mix up whe...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Love Santana row, and staying at this hotel completes the experience! It is right in the middle of everything, has a great bar, beautiful lounge areas, good continental breakfast. I love staying here, it's a great way to get away without having to travel very far!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed December 1, 2013

The Hotel Valencia is a very nice upscale hotel located in Santana Row, an upscale shopping area in San Jose, off of Stevens Creek and Winchester. Got a package deal, three nights for the price of two, and liked the located, so picked this hotel. I was able to upgrade to a "Balcony King" room, which, in the end, turned out to be not so great, and I'll explain below.

Let's go through the Pros and Cons of this hotel and location.

Pros: Located in Santana Row, so after a long day of shopping, and a night of clubbing or drinking, you can just walk down the street and up to your room.
The hotel is very nicely appointed, and comes with free self-parking, OR valet.
Comes with free breakfast.
There is a rooftop pool on the 5th floor.
There is an in-house club.
There is an in-house fitness center.

Cons: Despite what you may think, having a room facing Santana Row itself isn't all that it might seem, why? The NOISE! Yes, though parts of the Row are closed to vehicular traffic during the night, the part in front of the hotel is not, thus even with the nice French doors facing the balcony closed, you'll hear motorcycles, trucks, drunks, loud talkers, dogs barking and kids crying. We stayed on the 4th floor and, if I stay here again, I'll ask for a higher floor on the opposite side of the hotel.
Another Con: like many newer properties, the walls of the Valencia seem paper thin, thus you hear the requisite loud rhythmic bed-squeaking and moaning from amorous couples late into the night. Yes, true story! You may also hear the movie down the hall (we heard screams and almost called the front desk, until we figured out it was part of a movie).
Another Con: In our room the bathroom door was a sliding door, on rather noisy bearings in the door frame, thus at night, you must take care to not open and close the door too rapidly lest you awaken your room mate.

This is NOT a bad hotel, but if you are looking for quiet, this may not be your perfect choice. The location is prime, and if you don't mind the noise, then you will enjoy it hear.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor NOT facing Santana Row in order to get the most quiet, and restful sleep.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We'd read the reviews beforehand and know the area, so weren't at all surprised that it wasn't a peaceful overnight stop. I don't think I'd want to spend more than one night there if I wanted decent sleep.

There were problems with a party in a room a way down the corridor, the place was swarming with security and I looked through the door's security peephole to see a bunch of guys being escorted away. I think that probably happens there a lot, it's that kind of 'party central' place.

We really liked our room though, it was very smart and well appointed. The staff were all helpful and efficient and yes, the front desk staff are a bit 'cold' but I guess it's part of the image they want to project.

On the other hand it was great to just pop downstairs and have a whole bunch of restaurants to chose from.

Definitely a hotel for 20-30 somethings!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple