We recently stayed for one evening as a stop over for a long road trip. As we arrived in the evening, when we turned the corner onto Santana Row, we were greeted with a beautifully lit street full of luxury stores and the hotel right smack in the middle of it all. We were relieved at the valet parking as the streets were very crowded with holiday shoppers trying to find parking. The valet was very nice and cordial, but the valet who retrieved the car the next morning was not as friendly. The public areas were cozy, and the ambiance was charming. We were able to get a reduced AAA rate that came with a continental breakfast, so we were pleased with that. Registration was ok, not overly welcoming.
Room: It was actually quite large and overlooked the inner courtyard (it was noisy earlier in the evening with groups of people gathering, but quieted down), with a king bed and very spacious area for the extra cot for our son. I'd imagine, it would be great for a family with a baby since there would be plenty of room for a crib. The room was very long and had a long table/shelf (no drawers) that held the TV and an empty refrigerator (It was great to not have to ask for one!). There was also a chair set up to make it function like a desk, but it really was an odd configuration. There were 2 nightstands and just a couple of bulit-in drawers inconveniently right where the room door was. The bathroom was small with very little counter space and had a tub/shower. The cararra marble was looking a bit tired.
Pool area: Too cold to use for us, but it was beautiful and you could peer over the side and watch the action on Santana Row.
Fitness center: clean, smallish but had nice equipment.
Continental breakfast: We were pleasantly surprised that this breakfast included hot items like scrambled eggs and sausage hash. There were the usual cereals, pastry, toast items, yogurt, fruit, juices and coffee. My complaint is that the temperature of the food was lukewarm. I and another guest had to ask the wait staff to warm up our coffees. We also ate at this same restaurant, Citrus, for dinner. It was just ok.
Security: After returning from our stroll down Santana Row around 9 pm, we were met by security at the roped-off hotel entrance and were asked to show our room key. This took us by surprise, but as I started to open my purse, he said, "Never mind I believe you. Go ahead." Before going to our room, we were exploring the fitness center and pool area on the same floor and were met with security who said we were in restricted areas (???). I thought we had gone after the facilities closed, but once back in our room, I discovered they were not supposed to be closed at that time. I don't know what to make of all this security. Did the guy follow us up to make sure we were really guests? Safe, but definitely intrusive. Hotel guests shouldn't be made to prove their status like this in a nice part of town.
Local area: The biggest benefit is the ability to walk out of the hotel right onto the shopping row. There are lots of restaurants and shops. The evenings are busy with young professionals queueing up for a spot at the bar.
The best: convenience and charm
The worst: standoffish staff and overzealous security
Would I stay here again? Maybe.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Valencia Santana Row is the only hotel located on Santana Row! Our boutique hotel in San Jose, CA is at the center of all the excitement, entertainment, shopping and dining on Santana Row and near the Silicon Valley and Cupertino. Hotel Valencia is ideal for a romantic or weekend getaway, a business trip or corporate group or convention. See and be seen at our hip and swanky Vbar or experience "unruly" tapas and shared plates in Oveja Negra Restaurant. Hotel Valencia Santana Row invites our guests to experience luxury with our 215 rooms and suites and experience exceptional service and surroundings during your stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hotel Valencia - Santana Row reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Valencia Santana Row
- Valencia Santana Row Hotel