“If Location is What You Want - This is It!”

Hotel Valencia - Santana Row
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed December 1, 2013

The Hotel Valencia is a very nice upscale hotel located in Santana Row, an upscale shopping area in San Jose, off of Stevens Creek and Winchester. Got a package deal, three nights for the price of two, and liked the located, so picked this hotel. I was able to upgrade to a "Balcony King" room, which, in the end, turned out to be not so great, and I'll explain below.

Let's go through the Pros and Cons of this hotel and location.

Pros: Located in Santana Row, so after a long day of shopping, and a night of clubbing or drinking, you can just walk down the street and up to your room.
The hotel is very nicely appointed, and comes with free self-parking, OR valet.
Comes with free breakfast.
There is a rooftop pool on the 5th floor.
There is an in-house club.
There is an in-house fitness center.

Cons: Despite what you may think, having a room facing Santana Row itself isn't all that it might seem, why? The NOISE! Yes, though parts of the Row are closed to vehicular traffic during the night, the part in front of the hotel is not, thus even with the nice French doors facing the balcony closed, you'll hear motorcycles, trucks, drunks, loud talkers, dogs barking and kids crying. We stayed on the 4th floor and, if I stay here again, I'll ask for a higher floor on the opposite side of the hotel.
Another Con: like many newer properties, the walls of the Valencia seem paper thin, thus you hear the requisite loud rhythmic bed-squeaking and moaning from amorous couples late into the night. Yes, true story! You may also hear the movie down the hall (we heard screams and almost called the front desk, until we figured out it was part of a movie).
Another Con: In our room the bathroom door was a sliding door, on rather noisy bearings in the door frame, thus at night, you must take care to not open and close the door too rapidly lest you awaken your room mate.

This is NOT a bad hotel, but if you are looking for quiet, this may not be your perfect choice. The location is prime, and if you don't mind the noise, then you will enjoy it hear.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor NOT facing Santana Row in order to get the most quiet, and restful sleep.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 28, 2013

We'd read the reviews beforehand and know the area, so weren't at all surprised that it wasn't a peaceful overnight stop. I don't think I'd want to spend more than one night there if I wanted decent sleep.

There were problems with a party in a room a way down the corridor, the place was swarming with security and I looked through the door's security peephole to see a bunch of guys being escorted away. I think that probably happens there a lot, it's that kind of 'party central' place.

We really liked our room though, it was very smart and well appointed. The staff were all helpful and efficient and yes, the front desk staff are a bit 'cold' but I guess it's part of the image they want to project.

On the other hand it was great to just pop downstairs and have a whole bunch of restaurants to chose from.

Definitely a hotel for 20-30 somethings!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ednacloud
Reviewed November 26, 2013

This is an expensive hotel. You're paying for the location. Great location near shopping. Couldn't believe a panel that I opened in the closet exposed a filthy air filter than looked like it hadn't been replaced in a very long time! Maintenance came and replaced it, but he wasn't going to vacuum all of the dust and filth around it until I asked. It was pretty nasty! The room was dark and dreary. Poorly designed. Very little drawer space available. Looked very outdated. There was a huge burn hole in the fur bed runner. Cigarette burns were on the marble floor in the bathroom. Ordered room service and was very disappointed in the meal. The staff didn't really seem to care. Heard they may be doing a renovation soon. It's certainly overdue!

Room Tip: Ask for a good room!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ms B
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

I still can't get over how thin the walls are here, you can hear everything your neighbour does, even talking quietly on the phone. It needs a good refurbishment which apparently is happening next year. Considering it's a corporate hotel Wi-Fi is awful every time we stay here.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Waltssy
Reviewed November 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Valencia for 2 nights in November. Overall we had a great experience, curb appeal is nice, the room was a good size, comfortable and a nice big window overlooking the terrace and the pool. Service was good, although I noticed the reception desk wasn't as friendly as one would expect. They were not rude by any means, just not as friendly as I would expect. For example, the reception area is relatively small, and I had to walk by several times, and unless I made eye contact or said hi first they wouldn't say hi or anything as you walked by. The rest of the staff always said hi, and was pleasant though. Overall very nice hotel, I believe it's the only one in Santana Row. Quite a large mall across the street, and several shops and restaurants near by. Great place for a day or two.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin923
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Thank you for your feedback on your stay. We appreciate the candid observations and will work to improve the friendliness of the reception desk staff.

We hope you will select Hotel Valencia the next time you have an occasion to stay in San Jose.

Cordially,

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Great stay, one free night great value. Very comfortable and romantic with easily accessible nearby good restaurants. Nice pool, good bars, views. Great service everywhere, especially valet! 20th anniversary mentioned at booking and they provided comp bottle of wife's favorite cava as a surprise to both of us. Thx

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your 20th anniversary! Love to have you back for every anniversary!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is the very cool "Santana Row" location with awesome shops and restaurants all around and an amazing mall across the road.
BUT….
Everything was very "average". Worst of all, the staff have no personality at all. Very dull and official, not friendly in any way. Every morning when i'd phone for my car, i'd be left on hold for minutes at a time.
The person wrote down the wrong room number when i checked in. I didn't mind as it's an easy mistake but after lugging my suitcase all the way back down to Reception, she didn't even apologize.
The rooms are musty and old and set off my allergies.
I really would not recommend this hotel. It has so much potential but it needs some more professional service and a bit of TLC.
To make matters worse they have a VIP club - I joined it 7 days before i stayed there but they didn't process it for 10 days and therefore i wasn't credited for my stay. And when did send me a confirmation they told me it only works if i book direct, not on any other website nor through a travel agent. Um, that is not VIP. It's 2013 and you're in Silicon Valley - you might want to get a more advanced VIP system!

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing inwards to the courtyard. it's boring. facing outside is very cute...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Thank you for your feedback on your November stay. Since your stay, we will have completed renovation of all guest rooms this coming weekend.

I apologize that the staff was not as friendly and helpful as they should have been. Our guest recognition program will include your most recent stay for future benefits. As a small independent hotel, unfortunately we are not able to handle memberships in the method as the the big hotel companies and I apologize for that. All stays do count, no matter what method of reservation is used.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to host you on your next visit to San Jose to see the renovated Hotel Valencia. Again, thank you for your feedback. We do take it very seriously.

Cordially,