“Average at best”

Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Average at best”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is the very cool "Santana Row" location with awesome shops and restaurants all around and an amazing mall across the road.
BUT….
Everything was very "average". Worst of all, the staff have no personality at all. Very dull and official, not friendly in any way. Every morning when i'd phone for my car, i'd be left on hold for minutes at a time.
The person wrote down the wrong room number when i checked in. I didn't mind as it's an easy mistake but after lugging my suitcase all the way back down to Reception, she didn't even apologize.
The rooms are musty and old and set off my allergies.
I really would not recommend this hotel. It has so much potential but it needs some more professional service and a bit of TLC.
To make matters worse they have a VIP club - I joined it 7 days before i stayed there but they didn't process it for 10 days and therefore i wasn't credited for my stay. And when did send me a confirmation they told me it only works if i book direct, not on any other website nor through a travel agent. Um, that is not VIP. It's 2013 and you're in Silicon Valley - you might want to get a more advanced VIP system!

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing inwards to the courtyard. it's boring. facing outside is very cute...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Thank you for your feedback on your November stay. Since your stay, we will have completed renovation of all guest rooms this coming weekend.

I apologize that the staff was not as friendly and helpful as they should have been. Our guest recognition program will include your most recent stay for future benefits. As a small independent hotel, unfortunately we are not able to handle memberships in the method as the the big hotel companies and I apologize for that. All stays do count, no matter what method of reservation is used.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to host you on your next visit to San Jose to see the renovated Hotel Valencia. Again, thank you for your feedback. We do take it very seriously.

Cordially,
Bonnie Best

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Love staying here. Easy, convenient, great location!
We stay here about 4-6 times a year for a weekend getaway and hands down almost always choose this location / hotel. We've done the Napa thing and all that fun stuff but this hotel is in the middle of everything (eg walk everywhere - no driving!).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you for sharing your enjoyment of Hotel Valencia and Santana Row. Since you mentioned that you come often, I hope you have signed up for our frequent guest recognition program, Valencia VVIP.

Sacramento, California
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I had an great time with my friends at the hotel. The food and shopping that's walking distance was a huge plus! The restaurant and bars in the hotel were awesome and had a great crowd. Make sure you book an appointment at the spa.

• Stayed November 2013
Delighted that you enjoyed our stay at Hotel Valencia and the surrounding Santana Row area. We hope you will have an opportunity to return!

Cordially,
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I wish I would have stayed longer! I was in town for meetings which were actually held at the hotel, so I literally did not leave the hotel for 2 straight days. I enjoyed every minute though! The rooms are spacious and well stocked, the towels are super soft, and beds super cozy. The courtyard provided wonderful sun and fresh air during meeting breaks, and the bar was always ready for our crew when the day was done.
It's probably a good thing I was so scheduled because had I had time to get out I could have done major damage with all the shopping and dining right outside the hotel doors.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Hotel Valencia. We hope your group will be back for another meeting soon!
Sacramento, California
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I am in love with the Hotel Valencia. I am a native of San Jose, who has lived in the central valley for the past decade. I had the opportunity to stay at the Hotel Valencia last weekend for a quick girl's trip and I will be back. It was trendy, beautiful, quite, spacious. I was in awe.

The next time I will stay more than one night so that I can really experience all that the hotel has to offer!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your lovely comments! We have many "local" guests and very much appreciate that you choose Hotel Valencia and Santana Row.

Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Disconcerting when you return to your room in the evening and housekeeping failed to close the door all the way. Not cool at all! Got an apology, but that's it. Have stayed literally hundreds of hotel nights around the world and never once had that happen. Bad, bad, bad.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
HVSR, Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for taking my call and once again, I do offer my apology. I hope that we will have an opportunity to have you as our guest in December. Please contact me directly as we discussed.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I checked in on October 13, anxiously awaiting the birth of our 10th grandchild, fortunately he was born on the 15th. The night of the 14th, our daughter called to say she was on her way to the hospital. I called the front desk and asked for a taxi to Stanford Hospital, after asking if we were okay, he said he would call for a taxi, within 2 minutes he called back and said the taxi was there. This is only one example of the kindness and professionalism of the staff. We stayed at this hotel until the 24th of October. Our suite was spacious, clean and had a wonderful comfy bed. We overlooked Santana Row, which was amazing! Fantastic shopping, restaurants and fun atmosphere. We would most definitely stay there again! Also, beautiful pool!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Congratulations on your new grandson! Thank you for selecting Hotel Valencia for your hotel while in the area for this special event. We appreciate your kind comments and hope to have you back to visit your newest family member.