“Nice but noisy”

Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Ojo Caliente, New Mexico
“Nice but noisy”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I frequently stay at Hotel Valencia Santana Row when traveling to San Jose for business. The rooms are nicely furnished and set up for business travelers (desk, wireless internet, plenty of outlets.) Internet and a very nice breakfast are included in the room rate. There is a small but adequate fitness center. Parking is easy and free if you self park - a recent upgrade is the ability to print out your parking pass before you arrive. I like being in Santana Row with plenty of restaurants and shopping within walking distance - including Valley Fair Mall. For me, the only downside of this hotel is that it is a very popular night spot and it can be noisy late at night.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for an upper floor that does not overlook the courtyard.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you for sharing you feedback on your experience at our hotel. The hotel is in a lively, urban location which can be a little noisy.

Cordially,

Bonnie Best

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed April 20, 2013

It is a great hotel with good rooms - especially the weekend rate is rather low for the region and the services. The design of rooms and hotel is nice. The rooms are in general very good - bits and pieces might be missed by the service.

Still I like the hotel, breakfast, and the location - good for exploring the bay area.

Bear in mind this is a business hotel and area. If you go to places in Santana Row you will find a lot of vendors taking their guest from abroad out ...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience in staying at Hotel Valencia. We appreciate the positive feedback. We hope that if any time, we have a service failure, you will let us know at the time
or on our guest comment form emailed to you after your stay.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Cordially,
Bonnie Best
Markham, Canada
Reviewed April 14, 2013

After staying at the Hotel Valencia while on business in February of 2012 and being very impressed, I was certainly looking forward to a return visit in April of 2013 - with 7 others while on business. Unfortunately a lot changed in a year - and not for the better.
We came at a busier time of the year apparently - this was first noticed through the pricing of our hotel rooms - which followed a "demand-based pricing" system. In other words, despite having a corporate rate at the hotel, our group of 8 paid 3 different rates for the rooms due to how busy they were - and their ability to rent the room to someone else I guess. I suppose this might be normal business but given we were all traveling from the same company, it was certainly odd for us to be quoted rates that differed by more than 50%! Despite this pricing issue, we stuck with the hotel knowing the proximity to our business was good, the neighbourhood was great for restaurants and our experience with the hotel the previous year was strong. Needless to say, as the prices for our rooms skyrocketed, our expectations for our stay also went up.
Unfortunately our first morning was a big disappointment when there was no hot water for a shower. I'm sure as most travelers would appreciate, there are only a few critical things needed for your stay, and a hot shower to start the day would be one of them. One of our party contacted the front desk and learned that a bad windstorm apparently 'knocked over' or 'blew out' the main boiler on the roof. While I can appreciate that problems can occur, I believe strongly that the difference between an average hotel and a great one is how they handle these unforeseen circumstances. In the Hotel Valencia's case, they handled it by - doing nothing. No communication to guests explaining the problem, how it was rectified, when it might be fixed, etc. We weren't looking for any money back, or "something free' - just an official communication that explains why we had to endure such a bad start to our day. I have been in hotels where situations like this, or late night fire alarms, etc have occured and experienced how great hotels handle. Unfortunately the Hotel Valencia dropped the ball.
The rest of our stay was more uneventful thankfully - but the hotel seems a little older, a little darker, and a little more in need of some loving care.
Given our experience, we will try another property in the area the next time around.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am sorry that our communication failed in regard to the rooftop boiler. Due to the extremely high velocity winds that occurred, the boiler flame was extinguished and the system locked down. The situation was rectified as soon as they were aware.

If you would like to correspondent with me directly @ bbest@valenciagroup.com, I can look into why your group paid different rates (other than a variation on the type of room confirmed).

We are in the process of finalizing a renovation plan which will start later this year which will "lighten" up the look of the hotel.

I am happy to assist you directly in making future reservations. We would like you to always have the experience you had on your first visit.

lincs
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in March - decent hotel in a great location. Rooms are very comfortable, comfy bed and pillows and nicely appointed bathroom. Breakfast was good - great selection, hot and cold. The location really makes this hotel special - great shops, bars and boutiques right on your doorstep. I loved sitting on my balcony and people watching!
I would stay again, although staff service levels varied - room service, restaurant and valet staff were great, reception staff left a lot to be desired.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We happy that you enjoyed your stay. We take seriously your comments regarding inconsistent service and will work hard to bring all service levels in line.

San Juan Bautista, California
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have a room booked for Sat night, I have not even stayed here yet but the customer service has been exceptional so far. I had a concern about my upcoming stay on Saturday night so I wrote an email and called to let them know my concern. Within 10 Mins they called me right back and emailed me and the problem was solved. Also, I was going to plan a large birthday party with their event coordinator, although the date I wanted to reserve and the room I wanted was unavailable, the lady was still very helpful and offered me many other suggestions and ideas. Hotel Valencia knows how to take care of its customers. I am excited for my stay on Saturday night!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your nice comments. We hope you enjoyed your stay.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Nice hotel in a great location!! Santana Row is right at your feet, you don't have to get on the freeway to get to HP Pavilion and San Jose Airport is a few miles away. Self Parking was FREE, located around the corner and easy to access. Upon arrival, I was greeted by the valet who opened the door for us. You need to take an elevator to get up to the lobby of the hotel. The front desk personnel was very friendly and informative. Our room was located on the 5th floor. Conveniently located by the fitness center and the pool. The rooms were very spacious and modern. The beds were very comfortable and clean. The only negative things is the slow flushing toilet and weak shower heads. The complimentary continental breakfast was pretty good for a free meal. It included cooked potatoes with onions and bell peppers, scrambled eggs, pork sausages and the normal continental breakfast staples.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope you return often.

Please let me know if I may ever assist in any way.

San Luis Obispo, CA
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Overall, this is a very comfortable, posh hotel. Good points: stylish rooms, comfortable beds & pillows, pretty courtyard and pool areas, yummy & well stocked 'continental breakfast' (complete with hot dishes too), and great location as only decent hotel in or near Santana Row. Bad points: they gave away my pre-booked balcony room (likely to one of their loyalty club members), they charged over $300 per night (pretty exorbitant for a mid week stay) and the entrance I found was a bizarre, unmanned dark alcove with a few elevators (you take these up to a third floor where the lobby is). I had hoped they would make up for giving away my double deluxe balcony room by upgrading me to a suite. Sure they offered an Exec suite with one king bed plus a fold out sofa bed. Sorry, but those sofa beds and rollaway beds are about as comfortable as sleeping on a bed of concrete! How about a multi bed suite?! Or perhaps free dinner or drinks (or both) for me and my travel buddy? I expected more 'above and beyond' customer service for THEIR error, especially in this price point. Comfortable stay but disappointing value and customer service. Rates appear to go down by about $100 per night on a weekend...bizarre.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay. I am very sorry that we did not have the bed type you requested available. As we only have 6 double/double balcony rooms, it is not always possible to meet all requests. We do not have any multi-bed suites -- all are king-bedded rooms.

As in all hotels (similar to airlines) rates vary by demand. Our peak demand is weekdays for corporate travelers.

Again, thank you for your feedback. Should you have an opportunity to return, I would be happy to assist you personally with your arrangements.