“Quick Weekend Get-Away / Stay-Cation”

Hotel Valencia - Santana Row
Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
San Francisco, California
“Quick Weekend Get-Away / Stay-Cation”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Nice hotel in a great location!! Santana Row is right at your feet, you don't have to get on the freeway to get to HP Pavilion and San Jose Airport is a few miles away. Self Parking was FREE, located around the corner and easy to access. Upon arrival, I was greeted by the valet who opened the door for us. You need to take an elevator to get up to the lobby of the hotel. The front desk personnel was very friendly and informative. Our room was located on the 5th floor. Conveniently located by the fitness center and the pool. The rooms were very spacious and modern. The beds were very comfortable and clean. The only negative things is the slow flushing toilet and weak shower heads. The complimentary continental breakfast was pretty good for a free meal. It included cooked potatoes with onions and bell peppers, scrambled eggs, pork sausages and the normal continental breakfast staples.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope you return often.

Please let me know if I may ever assist in any way.

Cordially, Bonnie Best, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
San Luis Obispo, CA
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Overall, this is a very comfortable, posh hotel. Good points: stylish rooms, comfortable beds & pillows, pretty courtyard and pool areas, yummy & well stocked 'continental breakfast' (complete with hot dishes too), and great location as only decent hotel in or near Santana Row. Bad points: they gave away my pre-booked balcony room (likely to one of their loyalty club members), they charged over $300 per night (pretty exorbitant for a mid week stay) and the entrance I found was a bizarre, unmanned dark alcove with a few elevators (you take these up to a third floor where the lobby is). I had hoped they would make up for giving away my double deluxe balcony room by upgrading me to a suite. Sure they offered an Exec suite with one king bed plus a fold out sofa bed. Sorry, but those sofa beds and rollaway beds are about as comfortable as sleeping on a bed of concrete! How about a multi bed suite?! Or perhaps free dinner or drinks (or both) for me and my travel buddy? I expected more 'above and beyond' customer service for THEIR error, especially in this price point. Comfortable stay but disappointing value and customer service. Rates appear to go down by about $100 per night on a weekend...bizarre.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay. I am very sorry that we did not have the bed type you requested available. As we only have 6 double/double balcony rooms, it is not always possible to meet all requests. We do not have any multi-bed suites -- all are king-bedded rooms.

As in all hotels (similar to airlines) rates vary by demand. Our peak demand is weekdays for corporate travelers.

Again, thank you for your feedback. Should you have an opportunity to return, I would be happy to assist you personally with your arrangements.

Newport Beach, California
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I loved my stay here. The manager was very nice and treated us very well. The room was just a little outdated, but I would say that it is still far better than being anywhere else because of the location. I love just being able to walk out of the hotel and being right in front of all the nice shops and go shopping. The restaurants around there are not that great, but there are a few decent ones. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I loved the suites. Very spacious and large.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. We are happy to enjoy the hotel and the location.

We are currently in the final planning stages of a renovation which will certainly provide a fresh new look!

San Francisco
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've stayed here twice now, once in a double room and once in a Jr. Suite. It's a nice hotel, fancier than I usually stay in as it's out of my normal price range. I think you pretty much get your money's worth here. The idea of lodging in the middle of a mall is a bit weird to me, but the shopping is pretty dang convenient.

Major PROS:
free parking (although it's shared with the mall so if you come in the middle of the day the lots are pretty full)
fabulous continental breakfast
super friendly service
nice outside areas/pool
comfy beds
nice bathrooms

CONS:
night club downstairs (large crowds out front/share hotel elevator. hotel does a good job and keeping clubbers out of lobby, but it's inevitable that patrons of the hotel go down and club and bring the party back to their room)
hotel room doors/hallways are loud

If you've got money to burn or find a good deal (or better yet, get a comped room) go for it. Otherwise you might be able to find a better deal away from the "mall"

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for providing constructive comments on your recent stay. We appreciate all feedback.

If I may ever assist you during a future stay, please let me know.

Monterey, California
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I might change my review after staying at this hotel, but the 4 people I encountered via phone just trying to make a reservation lead me to believe that this is not a "people-friendly" group of employees. It took me 3 calls and 4 people to get a reservation person that could link me to the group rate for my conference. After going through the "name, date, number of adults" interrogation, the first person said, "I can't find your group name here, so I'll need to transfer you." On hold for 4-5 minutes (that's a long time to be on hold), and then I went through the whole thing again, though this women did find my group and applied the group rate to the stay. NO ONE I spoke with was pleasant.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mmcmilla
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
I am very sorry to learn of the difficulty you had in making a reservation for your upcoming conference. I want to assure you that that we do value you as a guest. If you should need any assistance during your stay, please contact me either at Ext. 5404 in the hotel or by email bbest@valenciagroup.com.

If you would have interest in sharing with me the time and dates of your call so we can determine where additional training may be needed, that would be very useful.

Monterey, California
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Went to visit family nearby for Easter, and loved the stay at Hotel Valencia, staff all welcoming and friendly, brought us a refrigerator for my wife's eye medicine. Walsking distrance to Santana Row restaurants, movie theatere etc.

Room Tip: Higher floors on South side are great.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank heinz95
Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay. We delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return often.

If at any time, I may be of assistance, please let me know.

California
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I usually love Santana Row, however my stay this time left much to be desired. My husband and I spent my birthday weekend there, hoping for leisure time in the patio hot tub only to discover it was out of order. A wedding party was taking place, so we woke at 2:00 a.m. to screaming and yelling. I was waiting for gunfire to erupt. After a nice breakfast, we were ushered out after a fire alarm accidentally went off. And supposedly I was to receive a complimentary birthday gift that never arrived. Hmmm. I won't be rushing back.

Room Tip: Figure out if you want to enjoy a sunset or have the intimacy of the courtyard. Noise is a big fact...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lisa3377
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay. I am so sorry that your recent stay was marred by the closure of the hot tub and the rowdy guests. Both issues are being addressed.

Fire alarms are out of our control as the system works as it is designed to do. We certainly regret that it happened and disturbed you and our other guests.

I would wish that you would give us another opportunity to provide you with the stay you anticipated and would handle your arrangements personally.