“Perfect for date night or a girls shopping trip”

Hotel Valencia - Santana Row
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I love that this hotel is in the middle of it all - restaurants, upscale shopping, and nightlife. We had been to Santana Row in the past and knew if we were ever to return to San Jose that we would most certainly stay at Hotel Valencia. That said, the opportunity did arise and so I booked a room accordingly - for only $140 per night since it was a holiday weekend!!!! Bargain for sure. I love the courtyard, but we went there on a Sunday evening and found that there was no waiter service in the courtyard and also found that the heaters were all out of propane. I stood inside at the bar waiting to order drinks and appetizers for about 15 minutes (the bartenders - 2 of them - were making LOADS of drinks, so they weren't just standing around. . .I guess everyone at the bar arrived at the same time because there weren't that many people in there) and by the time he took my order, he advised me (with a smile) that it was about 1 minute after the expiration of happy hour appetizer prices. . .REALLY???? He saw me standing there for 15 minutes and you'd think he could make a concession to make up for the fact that I was inconvenienced, but NO. That said, we ordered 2 cocktails and 1 soda and took it back up to our room and ordered room service which was just OK at best. Room service staff and front desk staff were awesome. Check in/out was simple. Took my son to the pool Monday morning which was really nice. Beware that the lounge overlooking the mountains overlooks some really noisy air conditioners on a neighboring building - not really relaxing and romantic as they claim it to be. Free breakfast was a treat. While this hotel has the potential to be elegant, it is not quite there - but for the $140 we paid it was definitely worth every penny.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear January Bride,

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your recent visit. We take all feedback seriously and will be addressing the shortcomings you mentioned.

However, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Valencia and Santana Row and hope that you will be back in the future.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

An indication of the quality of the hotel and the convience of location is how many San Jose area residents use this hotel as a night away from home. The hotel has a certain ambience that is different, and in my opinion, better, than most other hotels. You know that it's going to be different as soon as you have to an the elevator to the subdued lighting of reception desk and lounge.

The rooms are not what I would call large, but the decor is elegant and it gives you the feeling that you could be in another country. I would recommend getting one of the rooms with a full balcony which adds to the charm and provides a great place to sit and enjoy the view. The beds are comfortable, but be careful not to stub a toe or hit a shin on the heavy wooden bedframe. My wife and I cover the frame with the heavy throw quilt (from my past experience) to avoid any painful mishap. We love the way the rooms make use of the anything but traditional lighting, and there is a very nice outdoor pool on the 5th floor.

The hotel has two bars, The Vbar on the main floor (3rd floor), and Cielo on the roof. We love going to the Vbar for a drink or two before heading out to dinner and shopping. Breakfast at the Citrus restaurant is always excellent.

Speaking of dinner and shopping, the Valencia is located in the midst of Santana Row, so it's perfect for enjoying the nightlife, listening to live music, and doing some shopping. In fact, if all you are looking for is a hotel to check in and go to sleep, you could find cheaper accommodations elsewhere that would meet your needs. But if you what a hotel that is part of an entertaining day and evening, I would definitely recomment Hotel Valencia.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a room with a full balcony (not just a "walk-out").
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Traveling Bob,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay and your enjoyment of the hotel and the Santana Row area. We hope to see you back often.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The hotel staff is first class. When I first arrived, the valet opened my door and welcomed me to the hotel. They offered us a bottle of water while we were catching the elevator to go to the lobby. Check in was quick and easy. They room was very nice. Our window had a view of Santana Row. The cleaning staff was very friendly! Brought us extra towels and asked if we needed anything else and if our room was ok. The room was clean and spacious. When we needed our car, our valet ran to get the car for us and was back before you knew it! The V bar is awesome! They had full size appetizers for only $5 during Happy Hour. And it was a three hour Happy Hour from 4-7pm everyday!!! These were some of the best Happy Hour appetizers I've ever had!
The bar was hopping during the evening. The waitresses and bartenders were very nice and courteous. Very enjoyable evening.
This is the place to stay when in the Silicon Valley!

Room Tip: Ask for room away from service side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Thank you for your kind words and feedback on your recent stay. We hope to see you back often!
Please let me know if I may assist you in any way on a future stay.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We asked the valet if we could park in front of the hotel because we were driving expensive cars for Monterey week and didn't want them moved. They charged us $50 each for two hours. When we returned to retrieve our cars, at the end of the two hours, we were peppered with questions from passer-bys, while we stood within 50 feet of the valet stand. Consequently, we were ten minutes past the departure time, and well within earshot of our departure when they shook us down for another $50.00 each. I wrote a letter to management and never received a response and I'd never go back. While we were at a different hotel, I'd never consider the Valencia for anything again.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank TommyJames
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Dear TommyJames,

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback. I am very sorry that you were not happy with the service.

Unfortunately, I never received a letter regarding this situation and hence, no response. If you would like to forward it to me directly at BBest@valenciagroup.com, I would be happy to speak with you directly regarding the valet parking on our front drive.

Cordially,

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Fantastic location. We stayed on a Thursday night and it was not noisy. Whenever I stay at a hotel I choose a place with complimentary breakfast, parking and internet. We were also looking for a hotel walking distance to cheesecake factory and shopping. This hotel ticked all the boxes.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Aussiegirl,

We are sold glad with "ticked" all your boxes. It sounds like you had a great time on your trip to San Jose. We appreciate the great feedback.

If I may assist on a future visit, please let me know.

Bonnie Best,General Manager

Reviewed July 5, 2012

About 15 minutes after getting to our room, we were sitting trying to figure out what we wanted do when we heard a faint knock at the door. Before we could get up to answer housekeeing walked in to bring the rubber bath mat.  Luckily we were not indisposed at the time.

The room we chose was a deluxe king stating to have a balcony with views of Santana Row.  It had a balcony overlooking a small street/alley, if you look to the right a block or so down you could see a corner on Santana Row.  Come to find out that we were located on the service side of the building so about 6am we had garbage trucks and dumpsters making all kinds of noise, then from about 8-10 the street was being cleaned with blowers.  If I wanted to wake ealy to alot of noise I would have stayed home with my kids and dogs, not paid the price to stay 10 minutes from home.

I do not feel the room was as clean as it should have been, especially for this calibur of a hotel.  The bathroom floor had dirty grout like it needed to be steam cleaned. The caulking in the shower was either dirty or moldy.  The bathroom has a sliding door with little privacy, the gap when the door is closed is so large you an see in right to the toilet.

We were surprised that there was not a safe in the room which was also disappointing.

They get a high mark for the bed and bed linens.  With the exception of the white blanket I pulled from the closet that had brown stains and the down duvet that only came 3/4 of the way to the top of the bed.

The room is small and overcrowded with large decor and a large leather chair.

Location is great. There is alot to do just outside the hotel and alot of restaurants to chose from but other than that, this hotel really isn't worth it.

Overall we were disappointed and I do not think we will be staying here again.  There are too many other choices in San Jose in the same price range.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Andrea M
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I give this joke of a hotel 1-2 more years before they get bought out by a company that can actually run a hotel like this. If I could give them 0 stars I would, because they don't even deserve 1. Service is poor, rooms are dirty, walls are paper thin, food is terrible, arrogant managers/front desk employees, uncomfortable beds.

I even saw a maid eat a guests remainder of their in-room service remains! Yuk! Feed your employees!

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank Jeremy S

July 2, 2012
A complaint was made by a guest of Hotel Valencia Santana Row who repeatedly violated our hotel’s “Quiet Enjoyment" policy. The purpose of that policy is to ensure that every guest of the hotel has an equal chance to enjoy their accommodations without disturbance, especially during normal sleep hours. We take this policy very seriously, so much so that we include our “quiet enjoyment” policy in clear language on our registration cards, which state our policy as follows:

QUIET ENJOYMENT: Loud noise or other disturbances are not permitted. If you are disturbed by noise from another guestroom, please dial 0 and advise our staff of the noise. Our staff will provide one courtesy call to the guestroom source of the noise. If further action is required to eliminate the disturbance, all occupants will be asked to leave the room and will maintain the obligation for payment of the room.

Between the hours of 1:00am and 3:00am on the night in question, the guest had people in his suite whose activities disturbed nearby guests, who complained of the noise to the front desk 4 different times. After warnings and opportunities to quiet down, the guest instead loudly berated our hotel staff with foul language and name-calling. Because of the repeated violations of the hotel’s quiet enjoyment policy, he was asked to leave the hotel so that quiet enjoyment would be restored to our other guests.

The guest expressed concern about cola products with"best by" dates in the mini bar. The manufacturer of the product assured the hotel that no health risk would exist from the circumstance that was described. The hotel has since inspected all room refrigerators and removed any past "best by" product.