“Hot Spot in Santana Row”

Hotel Valencia - Santana Row
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I had the opportunity to travel on business for 5 nights at the end of Feb and stayed at the Hotel Valencia.

In fairness, this was a business trip, so my needs in a hotel are much different than when traveling with my wife or family. I want something centrally located, decent sized room with amenities, nice spot for breakfast and perhaps a bar to catch a drink at the end of the day. So for my needs, the Valencia certainly hit the spot.

My room was large with a king, beautiful bed and covers with a small balcony overlooking a small courtyard below. Some rooms overlook an internal courtyard, others the parking area - ask when checking in. The rest of the room was great, although it could have used a more visible clock (esp for us east-coasters adjusting to the time difference and prone to waking very early in the morning).

We had the opportunity to take advantage of the hot tub outside on the 5th floor which was great. Pool seemed nice too, but it was a bit too cool for us to use.

The morning breakfast (included in your rate) was excellent! Not your average continental breakfast either with a daily egg selection, meats, potatoes, cereals, pastries, different juices, etc. It was a great start to the day.

The hotel is ideally located within Santana Row - so tons of restaurants around and pricey shops to peruse with any spare time. The hotel desk will also provide a jogging route in the area if you're so inclined or there is a fitness centre on the 5th floor.

The bar was a bit tight on space when we were there, but that might have been more as the result of the temperature as the outside space was not used due to the cooler temperatures. I understand this is a bit of a hotspot from Thurs - Sat - we saw it one night as people lined up to access the hotel, but it was of no bother to us in any way. (we did hear parking is tough on weekends - solved w valet)

All in all a great hotel that was close to Silicon Valley and within range of a visit to San Francisco as well.

PS Philly Flyers stayed in the hotel for a few nights while we were there - not sure if other sports teams call this home when on the road, but seemed a good choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank harvman

Reviewed March 2, 2012

After staying for one night at Hotel Valencia, I was planning on giving it 5 stars. Clean, well decorated, very hip hotel. Great location- loved santana row with great shopping and nice restaurants. Pool was very nice. Breakfast was excellent. I realized later that day I had forgotten my telephone charger in the room. I called and they said they would look into it and call me back. They called me back a few hours later and said they found it. In the meantime, I realized I left my earrings on the night table as well. I asked them to see if they found any earrings. I waited until I returned home to see if my earrings were mailed back with my charger. I wasn't too surprised when they weren't in the package, but more disappointed she never bothered to call me back. I called again and asked them to look into it. The employee again took my number and said she would call me back. I received no phone call. I waited a few more days, and called back and this time, I said I would stay on hold, while she called down to housekeeping. She came back 20 minutes later and said they never found them. I asked her to confront the person who cleaned my room, because I am 100 percent positive I left them on the night table and I wanted a phone call back. I never received any call back. It was my fault I left them there so I'm not so mad about not getting my favorite earrings back, but I am so disappointed how the handled the situated. I believe I spoke to Colleen 2 out of the 3 times I called.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank ike2012016
HotelValencia, Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2012

ike1201, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. I am concerned you are unhappy regarding interactions and service with our staff with regards to some lost and found items. I have located some internal records with contact information that match the comments written here. I will contact you directly.

Brent Gaines,
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed February 21, 2012

When in San Jose this is always my hotel of choice. The Valencia is chic with its great decor through and through. The lounge/bar has great drinks and draws quite the crowd. I'll definitely be back. I've stayed at 2 (San Jose and San Antonio) or the 3 Valencia Hotels, and both offer the boutique feel that I absolutely adore.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MCPELAYO
Reviewed February 20, 2012

This was our second time here. Everything was almost perfect. Great location for a couple wanting a"european" hotel in San Jose. We had booked the romantic package which included a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. The delivery of those items was so delayed, that we had to call the desk several times. And in the morning we got our breakfast late too, logistics need help. The breakfast wasn't much.....juice,coffee,and a roll.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2012

My daughter and I stayed in this hotel for a couple of nights. We loved the big rooms; the amenities were welcomed including free internet, good brand of toiletries, easy to adjust thermostat. Our room was quiet and clean; it was on the courtyard side of the hotel and I would request a similar location in the future as my cousin found that his room, above the Irish pub, was pretty noisy throughout the evening. The pool is lovely, heated in the winter, and the courtyard area had comfortable seats as did the lobby so it was a pleasant place to visit with other relatives who were in town. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful; the bell staff actually retrieved my iPod from my car for me when my daughter left it on the front seat. A broken hair dryer in the room was also replaced promptly. It is a bit pricey for San Jose on the weekends, the weekday rates are much more reasonable. The breakfast is included and the food was very good for buffet style.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Request a room on the courtyard. The area is very busy with lots of folks visiting the adjacent bar...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We arrived Friday night. We drove up to the hotel and there was young ppl surrounding the entrance, like at a club. That's because there was a popular, trendy bar in the hotel. The last thing I want after a long day of traveling is to have to fight through a crowd of youngsters to get into the hotel. Then there's drunk people in the elevator up to the lobby, surrounding the lobby and elevator up to the rooms. And I'm only 33! Fortunately, you can't really hear the music/noise once you're in your room. Unfortunately, you can hear ppl outside walking around the hallway. Since we stayed two nights, I had to deal with this both nights. On top of that, the front desk messed up our bill twice. First, they charged us more than the online rate we booked when we first arrived. Then when we checked out they tried to charge us for the suite they upgraded us to when we checked in. And they charged us $24 for having valet hold our car for an hour.

On the plus side, the hotel itself is extremely nice. Contemporary decor, nice design throughout. The outdoor courtyard is beautiful, though we did not get to take advantage. It's also in the heart of Santana Row, so you can take advantage of all the shopping. A quick walk to Valley Fair too. Right in front of a Pinkberry as well. Another big plus was the free garage parking, though it's free to the public. Most hotels we've stayed at in CA have charged us a highly daily rate for parking. Still, I don't think I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: If you're worried about the noise, ask for a room away from the bar and noise.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2012

as with my previous review, this is a nice hotel for staying in s.j. the rooms are spacious and some of them have nice extras like a balcony or a glass enclosed sitting area (7th floor room) for watching the courtyard and the skyline beyond. they also provide some nice extras upon arrival as a vvip club member which is very much appreciated. the staff at check-in and check out are also very courteous and professional. the rooms are quiet early on in the week but you can get a bit of street noise later in the week (although this thursday it is pretty quiet). the main drawbacks here is that it can sometimes be difficult to book a room on a tuesday even when you try a month in advance. this is unfortunate as i much prefer the hotel and it's service and proximity to decent restaurants compared to my other options (pruneyard plaza or, gasp, larkspur landing). the breakfast buffet is also quite good here with fresh fruit and (for me) a selection of ham and italian cold cuts. i do agree with one earlier reviewer that the rooms are not conducive to having a comfortable place to work. the long desk area, while stylish, is uncomfortable for actually doing productive work. all in all, however, i do look forward to my stays here for business. note: i give it an excellent rating on value because i get a discounted corporate rate. the rooms are quite pricey otherwise i believe.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business