“Worked Well For Us”

Ranked #52 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Elmhurst, IL
“Worked Well For Us”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2007

My husband and I needed a hotel close to the San Jose airport so we could take a morning flight. After checking many, I called Travelers Advantage to get prices of other ones which were over $150.00. Then they recommended this hotel for about half that price. I read some reviews which most of were good. So, we thought we would give it a try. We were kind of nervous as seeing the small lobby but were pleasantly surprised when we checked into our room. It looked like it was very recently remodeled/redecorated and very clean. It had a large counter in the bathroom. Also a microwave and small refrig. They do not have a swimming pool or hot tub which I may have used if they had one. Also keep in mind that this is a small hotel...it is no Ritz Carlton. If we need to stay near the airport again we would definitely consider staying here if the price was right at that time.

• Liked — near the airport, newly redecorated and very clean
  • Disliked — the way it looks from the outside and lobby
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Gaylesue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Granger, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2007

Wow, most chains only offer so-so accommodations these days, but the Comfort Suites Airport in San Jose is outstanding for the price and location. Just minutes from the airport, major highway exits, and right on the light rail line, it's easy to travel to and from this hotel. In spite of that, it's one of the quietest rooms I've ever had -- and trust me, I am a very light sleeper. Seems to be an older building, with high ceilings and large bathrooms. Cleaner than 99% of the other places I've stayed, and the staff is very friendly. But nothing is perfect -- there are two minor points to note. First, the parking is tight, both in number and quality of spaces. Parking is in the ground level of the hotel, seems to fill up quickly, and many spaces are slightly encroached upon by building supports. Second, while the breakfast offered is high-quality for this size hotel, it isn't always out on time. If you have a flight to catch, and you were counting on sitting down to chow at the advertised time of 6:00 AM, you may be disappointed. That said, I still highly recommend this hotel as one of the best I've stayed at in a long time.

• Liked — Centralized location, easy access to transportation
  • Disliked — Tight parking, inconsistent breakfast hours
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AshNazg
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2007

This hotel gets a 5 for cleanliness - the housekeeping department should be commended. Plenty of towels are provided and they are fancy folded just like your better hotels. However, there was a mix-up with our reservations and we were given a handicap room, which we did not ask for, but they refused to change once we were there. Although the mistake was not the fault of the hotel directly, it was a mistake of Choice Hotels, where I made the reservation, I feel that my request to have the room changed to a regular room should have been honored. At first the desk clerk said there were no other rooms available, but then told me that there was, but the rate was a lot higher. I called Choice and they confirmed that there was availability and they would call the hotel directly and try and get it changed. Again, they wouldn't budge. This is a Choice Hotel and I am a Choice member and my request should have been honored. The room itself, although spotless, was not very comfortable due to the fact that it was designed for wheelchairs. The worst part about it was the bathroom, it was a huge barn of a room with nothing in it but a toilet and tub/shower. The sink and vanity was outside the room in the entry area, no alcove or divider or anything, just sitting there by the door. There was absolutely nothing to put anything down on in the bathroom itself - like soiled clothes, glasses, etc. The whole room was laid out oddly because of the wheelchair access. (I'm attaching a picture of the bathroom). We looked at another room that wasn't handicapped and it was very nice. I will say that the room was very quiet, especially since it is on a busy street. Also the morning breakfast buffet was good with lots of choices. It was served in a very large room with lots of windows and a large TV - plenty of room for everyone. They also had a laundry facility and a computer for those that didn't bring one. If I had been given a regular room, I'm sure that I would have rated this hotel a 5. I would probably stay there again, but next time will be sure that I have not been assigned a handicap room.

• Liked — Cleanliness of room
  • Disliked — The handicap bathroom
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank katy2d2
Spanish Fork, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2006

This was a wonderful hotel. I was a little uneasy about staying there before we had arrived. I had seen this hotel listed on the Winchester Mystery House website and decided to give it a try. I called the hotel directly because they had a Winchester package. The first time I called, I couldn't understand the person that had answered, he didn't speak very good english, the next time I called it wasn't much better but could understan him enough to make a reservation. When we arrived, there was a young lady working at the desk. She was very friendly and very helpful. The hotel is in a pretty nice area. The light rail does go in front of it, but never heard it from inside. The hotel doesn't look like much from the front but inside, it's very nice. The rooms are very nicely decorated. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The breakfast the next morning was very nice too. They had bacon, eggs, waffles, yogurt, fresh fruit and juices. I would recommend this hotel!

• Liked — Rooms were very nice
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — They have a great winchester mystery house package, makes the room very resonable
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DisneyFan1976
Mansfield, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2006

We arrived into San Jose at 1:30 am after a delayed flight from Atlanta. We were able to locate the hotel without any difficulty. The first level covered garage provided amply lighted access to the hotel lobby. We were quickly and courteously checked in and given the keycard to our room. What a surprise to see our spacious room! It had a work desk along with a sitting area and separate kitchenette (sink, microwave and refrigerator). It was tastefully decorated with a pretty crownmold at the ceiling. We quickly fell asleep in the comfy queen size beds. Our room was right beside the breakfast area on the second floor, yet we heard no hallway noise from the other guests. Speaking of the breakfast, What a wonderful way to start the morning! Along with cereal, yogurt, bagels, breads, scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, juice and coffee, they had a waffle maker that produced delicious, fresh and fluffy waffles. Yum! We were going to the Winchester Mystery House the next morning and were able to save $5 per ticket by buying the tickets at the hotel desk. In fairness of reporting, there are a few chips in the surface of the bathtub, but it didn't effect its use. If you are sensitive to perfume scents, the room smelled of floral air freshener which went away after turning on the air conditioner. We would eagerly stay at this Comfort Suites again and not hesitate to stay at others, too.

5 Thank CTMom56
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2005

I stayed here on a recent business trip to Silicon Valley. They hotel itself is nice (recently renovated) and it is close to the airport. The staff was very friendly at all times. Upon my arrival, the elevator was out of service so I had to schlep my bags to the 3rd floor via the stairs (which I might add are not a direct trip).
The area around the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. There are bail bonds stores on just about every corner for a few blocks around the hotel. The commuter train runs directly in front of the hotel. This is good if you take the train, but bad if you drive, as the road is divided and you need to go down a block or two to turn around if you are coming in from the north.
The location is between downtown and the start of the high tech business area, but I wouldn't advise walking to town from the hotel. I wouldn't advise walking ANYWHERE around the hotel for that matter.
The room itself was nicer than I had expected for the price ($90). I had free high speed internet in the room and a small wetbar and fridge. The room was relatively quiet except for the banging doors in adjacent rooms when the guests left for the day/night.
There are no restaurants within walking distance, just a small convenience store about 1 block south. The nearest food is either downtown or north by the mall area (about 5 miles). The hotel is pretty much in no mans land.
If you are planning to stay in this area, I would advise checking out the hotels in the McCarthy blvd, 880, 237 area near the mall. There are many shops and restaurants withing a stones throw from this area.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2005

I was a little leary because of the low price but took a chance because of the reviews on TripAdvisor. The reviews were right on. This is a nice place to stay and a real deal, especially on weekends. The location is only a minute or two from the San Jose Airport and is a perfect place to crash while recovering from jet lag after a long flight. There is a street car line that runs on the street right in front of the hotel. We took the street car to JapanTown, where we ate at an excellent Japanese dinner. All in all, this is the place to stay if you fly into San Jose and and want to stay nearby. Oh, and the breakfast rocked.

• Stayed July 2005