“Real Deal Review”

Smoking Pig BBQ Company
Ranked #3 of 2,154 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are a very casual BBQ "joint" in the traditional sense. The focus is on the food. Slow smoked meats, homemade sides, rubs, sauces and desserts. Friendly service, at home feel. Excellent beer and wine lists (no kidding). Genuine Southern BBQ. Everything made in-house. Our mission is your delight. We Cater too! 25 to 5000 people.
Chicago
“Real Deal Review”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

3 of us went to Smoking Pig BBQ company on Tuesday night. Being from Chicago we know our BBQ. First, the 3 sauces they had were to be honest... nasty. We ordered a 3 meat combo. The food arrived and we dug in. The spare ribs were tender and lightly rubbed. They were average. The pulled port was terrible. There is no way they smoke the pulled pork. It tasted like it came from a crock pot. The highlight was the brisket. The brisket was very tender and very good. The baked beans were outstanding and the wolf turds were very good. They use cherry wood according to the waitress so the smoke is really light. We like a stronger smoke on beef and pork personally. This is a locals place so it has a dive feel to it. I would not come back. 2 Stars.

Paul R, Owner at Smoking Pig BBQ Company, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Hi, thanks for the review. We really appreciate your honest feedback.

I'm not all that familiar with Chicago BBQ. My friend is the pitmaster at Barn & Company but I've not had the chance to eat there.

From your review I guess the best I can say it that we differ in taste! Southern sauces are family recipes and the hot and honey are mine. I'm sorry they weren't to your liking. They're all very popular here.

We do smoke the pork shoulders, about 8-10 hours. As we do all the meats here. We don't smoke heavy as you noted.

The decor, well, it's BBQ. We spend money on real butter, cream, certified angus brisket and labor to make everything by hand here in house. No red velvet or chandeliers here.

I'm sorry about your pulled pork but very glad about you liking the brisket, beans, wolf turds and were satisfied with the ribs. I'll take 4 out of 5. Thanks for the two stars and go see Gary at Barn and Company. Tell him I said "hi" !

Paul

San Jose, CA
“Great BBQ in San Jose!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

I've been looking for an authentic BBQ place in San Jose, and I've found it! Happily for me, it's only 15 minutes from home, and even more happily, its food is great.

My husband and I just ordered a second time from The Smoking Pig, so now we've had the brisket (lean -- next time I might order a middling cut so as to add some moisture, but the meat was excellent), the ribs (NUMMY!!!!), the pulled pork (ditto), and the hot links (they're probably good -- it's just that I don't generally go for them).

Sides: great corn muffins, not fabulous potato salad, okay cole slaw (again, not my favorite, so I'm not the best judge), and very good mac-and-cheese.

Bottom line: I go for the meat. It's wonderful. A carnivore's dream. Everything else is gravy.

Oh, and the folks who serve you are really nice and will come out to the parking lot with your order if you wish. You can also order pick-up online, and it's ready when you arrive. What more could you want?

Austin, Texas
“As close to Texas BBQ as you can get in San Jose!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stopped by the Smoking Pig because we heard about their slow cooked brisket--just like what is served in Texas! We were not disappointed. The wolf turd appetizer--bacon wrapped stuffed jalepeno--literally melted in your mouth! The moist brisket was perfection, and the lean was just fine--just a little on the dry side. Three very good sauces were available that complimented the meat well. The sausage was unexpected--more Louisiana style than what we were used to--hints of tobasco and red pepper. Might try the ribs next time instead. Service was exceptional, and the owner was very friendly. Save room for the peanut butter pie--it was awesome!

San Francisco, California
“Maybe best BBQ in San Jose”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

The restaurant is a little out of the way on 4th St. but worth the trip
Very low key and has a house blues band some nights
A really great selection of NORCAL beers - and even had Red Trolly from San Diego
Tried the Wolf Turds and Chicken Lolipops starters - both great
Their 3 meat combo and "sammys" were outstanding
- this may be the best BBQ in San Jose with very friendly service
The only disappointment was the key lime pie - too sweet

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank jonneyboy
Hartford, Connecticut
“Excellent Wolf Turds!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Found this place on TA and was located a short walk from out hotel HIE. I tried the 3 meat combo with the brisket, pulled pork and ribs, all three being very good and hard to decide which was best. I had the mac and cheese but wished there wasn't so much cheese sauce. The corn bread was great; could have been bigger for me, and I had it with the honey. Had this with a Black Dog Ale and was full with no room for dessert. I would have tried the peanut butter pie, but maybe next time I'm in San Jose.

1 Thank TasteBites