“Delicious intro to Ethiopian cuisine with a great service and value”

Walia Ethiopean Cuisine
Ranked #133 of 2,207 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Good sign that we walked into a packed restaurant around 9pm.

The Sambussas (appetizer) were delicious. But be very careful with the red sauce dip. Even a speck of the dip is extremely hot spicy, even by Mexican or Thai standards. Also had lamb stew, veggie combo and chicken doro tibs. Light Ethiopian beer.

Clean place with delicious food and attentive service. And it's affordable too. Under $20 dinner per person, including tips and taxes.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

This was my first experience of having Ethiopian food and I was pleasently surprised by the quality and the service. On my request, Joseph was kind enough to list out all the delicious variety of dishes that was served with the Injera.
Each dish had a taste of its own and the Injera was the melting in the mouth type.
Liked the ambience and the drawings that are hung on the wall.
Will visit this place again when I am in San Jose again.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

This place is one of those hole-in-the-walls that you can't miss if you are anywhere nearby and you eat food. I was with two other women and we shared a vege plate and one side, and the bill came to $16.

I've never had Ethiopian food before so I didn't know what to expect. But when food is really good, especially vegetables, you have to try it. If you check in on Yelp apparently you get a free side dish every time you go (and check in when you get there of course).

There wasn't a wait when we got there but there was a wait while we were there and after we were done. And the service was a bit slow but we were talking so much it didn't really phase us.

If you had to rate this mean on ROI, it would be off the charts.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was my first time trying out Ethiopian food and boy was I amazed.
We shared the vegetarian plate and got a complimentary bowl of our favorite lentils for checking in on Yelp.
The plate had a big pancake topped with about 5-6 different dishes. You also get smaller rolls of the same pancake on the side. You eat like you would traditionally eat the Indian naan and curry - with your hands.
I found about a couple of dishes to be sour. And when these dishes combine, they almost make the whole meal too sour. But thats just me.
Nothing was too spicy.
The gentleman outfront was an awesome host and the lady who served us was nice. They made us feel right at home and took good care of everyone in the restaurant at that time.
Of course, I'll be back for more.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I'd LOVE to give this place five stars for the taste of the food. We got the veggie combo AND, for checking in, a free side of the lentils. Everything on the injera was absolutely fantastic, including the collard greens, which are usually our least favorite. There was no salad with the combo, which was surprising but we didn't miss it at all, I have to say. Especially not with the chickpeas, which are so creamy and smoky at the same time-- savory and completely craveable. If we ever go back, that's what we would get as our free side, for certain!

I'd also love to give them five stars for having gluten-free injera for our friend who was with us.

But I just can't. I can't, because of the fairly dismal location. I can't, because of the man in the parking lot who suspiciously and aggressively interrogated us about where we were going before he would move the cone in front of the only spot in the lot. I can't, because there was no toilet paper in the bathroom.

But I mostly can't because it was FIFTY minutes before our food came out. We joked that they must have been trying to make us really, really hungry... But it was really just ridiculous. I was ready to leave when it finally came out! Probably won't be back anytime soon... That memory will have to wear off first!

1  Thank ajhorse21