“Just okay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Holland, Michigan
“Just okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

This is an okay hotel, in an area that seems questionable. Rooms were good, but mattresses were quite bouncy, so when one person moves, so does the other. Tried to have breakfast, but decided it was not worth the buffet price with so few choices. Went to a nearby McDonalds instead. Nice area upstairs for groups to play pool or watch tv together.

• Stayed September 2012
MoorparkSanJose, General Manager at Aloft San Jose Cupertino, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Moorpark Hotel. Your comments are very important to us to help us improve our standards of quality and service. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon and make your experience a great one.

imatter@jdvhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
San Mateo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a little anniversary get-away. (We celebrate our anniversaries at La Fondue in Saratoga. We decided to stay in a hotel that was closer to the restaurant, because we live more than an hour away.) By the way, the hotel is in a pretty safe area near well-lit chain family restaurants. Still, we were happy there was underground parking.

The fantastic: Astoundingly well-designed pool/ hot tub area. I'm not a huge pool person, but this area was very well thought out with its draped cabanas, chaise lounges, etc. providing relaxing comfort that we were glad we'd budgeted a little extra time to enjoy the pool. Even though this hotel is in an urban area, you could hardly tell because they had blocked out the urban sights and sounds with walls and other landscaping. We lounged in the pool and hot tub, then relaxed by the pool. I highly recommend this feature!

The luxurious: We reserved a "club level king" for $121/night, that included a "hot breakfast" (see below) and a room on their fancy exclusive floor of the hotel. The bed was extremely comfortable, with soft sheets and pillows. The furniture was well laid out, and the sofa was a nice touch. They offered warm cookies in the comfortable lounge just outside the elevators. (If we hadn't been going to La Fondue, I might have indulged.) Even though the furnishings in the room and the lounge didn't seem brand new, everything seemed very clean and well cared for.....

Except.....

The bad maintenance: The wooden shutters in our elegant room were broken and supposedly repaired with duct tape. The duct tape was so old and dusty that the shutter slats wouldn't stay closed. During the day, it's not a big deal, because no one can see inside from the outside. However, the light from a nearby restaurant sign poured in through the open slats at night and bothered my husband. (I use an eyemask.) When I complained about it the following morning, the receptionist shrugged her shoulders and said that the hotel was replacing all of the shutters. She didn't seem at all concerned about how that affected people in the rooms with shutters that hadn't been replaced. After I filled out an online survey, a manager sent me an e-mail apologizing for the inconvenience and explaining that the problem had been fixed.

The icky: On the website, it said that our upgrade included a "hot breakfast." When I spoke with first one hotel staffperson, then another to make my reservation, they both confirmed that the "upgrade" included a "hot breakfast." The only thing hot about the breakfast was a tub of slimy oatmeal. Even the pastries in the pastry cabinet were stale. With no sarcasm intended, I have eaten better baked goods from a vending machine. I don't recall if there was boxed cold cereal, but I don't believe so. There was no waffle-maker, which even basic motels sometimes offer. The only thing I found palatable were the hard boiled eggs. My husband and I left extremely disappointed, and we stopped at an IHOP for breakfast on the way home.

The hotel website was misleading about what would be offered, and when I asked for clarification from the staff, someone from the hotel should have told me that the breakfast was simply (pre-fab) pastries and oatmeal. The breakfast was our primary reason for getting an upgrade, and it was a sorry disappointment. I have not received a note from hotel management about this problem.

The annoying: We were charged $2.00 in error after we checked out. I called the hotel. The staff person told me that we must have taken something from the mini-bar. (That is, she blamed us for the error.) I explained that we received a free $10 mini-bar gift certificate, and we carefully calculated which items to choose to make sure we did not go over $10. She reversed the charge, and said that maybe the staff didn't notice that a previous guest took something from the mini-bar before we checked in. I don't believe she apologized.

Summary: The Moorpark Hotel is a very well-designed, clean, quiet establishment that, in most ways, met or exceeded my expectations. The pool oasis area was fantastic. The bed, bedding, and furniture were very comfortable. The maintenance during their upgrade was shoddy, and the staff's response to my concern was disappointing. The "hot breakfast" was nasty, and the hype surrounding it was deceptive. The mini-bar bookkeeping was imperfect, and the staff's first response was to blame me. If you can get this hotel for $110 or less, it is probably still worth it. Avoid paying full price, because you may have big disappointments.

Room Tip: If you can nab a room on the club floor for a good price ($120 or less), go for it. Apparently, all...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Vocalista
Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Moorpark Hotel. Your comments are very important to us to help us improve our standards of quality and service. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Muskego, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed there for one night on my way to Yosemite late August and I found the whole place lovely. The man behind the desk was so sweet. The only complaint I had is having a different room that doesn't face the street as you could hear traffic. Yet for the one night it was a great place to stop and a good deal!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello,

On behalf of all of us at the Moorpark Hotel, I want to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent stay with us.

Thank you very much for your positive comments about the hotel. I will share your kind words with the entire team as I know they will appreciate receiving your feedback as well. I am glad we met your expectations during your visit with us.

Poncha Springs, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

My daughter had arranged a block of rooms at the Moorpark for her wedding which was held in nearby Saratoga. A number of the wedding guests stayed there and everyone seemed quite pleased with the rooms, the service and the overall accommodations. It was fun to meet our existing and future family in the restaurant for breakfast and the staff was very tolerant of our lingering there until after the official cut-off time. I was impressed with the pool area which had several individual cabaña-like sections with comfortable lounge chairs and a curtain that could be adjusted for privacy or to keep out the morning sun. My wife and I had a spacious suite on the third floor, complete with a fridge and the usual amenities. My only comment about the room is that it could use some updating. All-and-all, I was very pleased with the Moorpark and would certainly book there again if the occasion were to arise.

Room Tip: If available, be sure to request a room with a pool view (unless you enjoy looking a parking lots!)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank John-David L
Pittsburgh PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

This hotel was recommended to us and we enjoyed our time there. The staff was more than accommodating and pleasant to work with. Our first room was on the 3rd floor but after getting in to the room I realized the floor was vibrating! It turned out that that rooms toward the back of the hotel can be over the laundry and when they are working there is a vibration! We were told all work would be done by 8pm. The next morning I heard it again. After talking to the front desk, they offered to move us to another room, which we did. Had to pack up again somewhat but they moved everything for us that afternoon. The next room was much better. I have to say I am very sensitive to noise/sounds so maybe the machines wouldn't bother others!

The pool and hot tub are very nice. The cabanas around the pool make it easy to lie out there even when it is very hot in the sun. The pool is also nice because it is secluded from the road and parking lot. Breakfast was very nice...pretty much what you would expect for a hotel. The fruit was very good and I saw that they had quiche one morning along with cereals, eggs, meats, breads, etc. The bartender was also very helpful both in the morning and late afternoon when we went for drinks.

Hotel was very clean and all the staff we encountered really made an effort to be helpful and pleasant.

Room Tip: The third floor is their "concierge" floor. They came with free breakfast, a glass of win...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
East Bay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Lots of positive things to say about this hotel. We booked the Winchester Mystery house package and were able to pick the tickets up early Saturday morning. They even had a room ready so we were able to check-in early. The front desk was super friendly and had lots of info on the surrounding area. Dive-bar across the street and a few restaurants to choose from. We headed to the Mystery house... it wasn't really all that interesting but at least we can cross that off of our list of things to do in the Bay Area. Headed back to the hotel around 2pm worried that the pool would be packed... it was not. We had our own personal cabana and then the bar opened at 5 to 10. We ended up sitting by the pool having drinks for the remainder of the night and the bartender could not have been more friendly. Thanks again for a great stay. Oh yeah... the club level room was clean and modern.

Room Tip: We opted for the club level room... slightly larger and sort of had a VIP feeling.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

My husband, baby, and I stayed here for five nights. We really enjoye our stay and the staff was very accommodating and friendly. The VIP King is a great room. We did not feel cramped at all. They een had a crib to put in our room. You can not hear a thing through the walls. The only downside of our room was the fact that we must have been above the laundry room bc our room vibrated during the day when the staff did laundry. We loved the jacuzzi! The pool was nice (a little cool), and the cabanas pool side were great. The breakfast buffet was decent but not the best. We could not handle the eggs but the fruit and little things were good. It came with the room stay so that was great. I loved the mini bar snacks which were not too over priced.
The maid service was great and again everyone was so friendly!!!! It was a very clean hotel located right next to freeways. The location is nothing great and no views of anything but you can't have it all and the price was great!

• Stayed August 2012
Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown
Aloft Cupertino
Aloft Cupertino
#5 of 5 in Cupertino

Been to Aloft San Jose Cupertino? Share your experiences!