Aloft San Jose Cupertino
$225
$349
The Westin San Jose(San Jose)(Great Value!)
$419
Westin.com
$269
La Quinta Inn & Suites San Jose Airport(San Jose)(Great Value!)
$169
Dolce Hayes Mansion(San Jose)(Great Value!)
$199
$235
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmoorpark hoteljapanese marketfront deskunderground parkinghardwood floorsgas stationlittle thingsparking lotfree weightsup to datelarge bathroomfitness centernice poolcontinental breakfastcoffee makerbusiness tripcabana
Reviewed March 25, 2011

I researched this property on tripadvisor before departing for my San Jose business trip. The mixed but mostly positive reviews compelled me to spend a little more money than I normally would, plainly- I was curious about the "joie de vivre" label...

The hotel appears to be a renovation from some unsuccessful successor. At first glance it looks trendy/chic, however upon closer inspection, the superficiality of the renovation shows. Low ceilings, poorly patched/textured walls, scratches/scuffed/gouged door jams, uneven paint lines, etc... The bed coverlet was of high quality but stained, the venetian blinds were cherry but one was broken and repaired with masking tape, the countertop in the bathroom was granite however the drain in the sink was broken, the shower/tub combo was clean but terribly outdated (white 3" tile in a shallow insert tub).

The room smelled of bergamot which is nice if one cares for the scent, I do not. There were plenty of pillows (4) however they were of the exact same density. The bed linens were of high quality, the furniture was modern and comfortable, however the room layout was of standard motel issue. The room comes with the usual coffee maker and coffee gratis, the mini bar boasts the usual wine/booze/snacks at the usual exorbitant prices.

The breakfast costs $10, it is hot, but it is entirely self service. A handsome array of fresh fruit, quiche, eggs, bacon, potatoes, rice with furukake (a pleasant surprise), an assortment of juices and breads/pastries. A great breakfast IF it was included, okay for $10. The service is nil, there are a couple sullen staff members present, however they mostly clear tables and restock food, I suspect they double as chambermaids and speak little or no english, not a "good morning" not even a "hello."

The front desk was friendly, my wake up calls were prompt and personal (yes- a real human!) I was vexed when they failed to promptly call me when my delayed bags finally arrived from the airport. I called the front desk several times stressing the urgency of this request (nothing to wear to business meeting in morning). On a fluke, I called the front desk again to inquire and was told that my bags had arrived about 15 minutes earlier.

The location of the hotel itself is good, convenient to interstates, airport, etc... However, the area itself is borderline seedy. There is an asian supermarket/strip mall across the street, a gas station and Applebee's adjacent to the hotel itself.

I expected more from this boutique hotel, I was seeking what they advertised "style, serenity, personality and friendly service." Instead I got "broken, incompetent, sullen with wannabee hip/style." My expectations were apparently too high.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Savvypueblochick
Reviewed February 26, 2011

We stay in a lot of Joie de Vivre hotels as they have a winning formula for comfort, style, environment, and service. The Moorpark falls a bit short of my Joie de Vivre expectations. The room was quite small compared to nearby Joie de Vivre hotels such as Wild Palms, The Domain, & Avatar - if you need a spacious room, you are better off at one of the other choices. I do have to give it up for the bathroom which was quite large with a full length mirror on the door and extensive counter space. Other than that, the room was mediocre. The TV was an old CRT (the aforementioned JDV hotels have flat screen TVs).

Location is good. Right on the corner of I-280 & Saratoga. Lots of shopping and restaurants nearby and two gas stations to choose from.

We were here for Valentine's Day and wanted to dine in the on-site bar and grill. It was closed for food or appetizers and was only serving alcohol for a big party that happened to be there. Very disappointing. We crossed the parking lot and dined at Tony Romas instead (great ribs btw).

The pool & jacuzzi were clean and warm and they have cabanas you can use for lounging.

I also want to mention that the staff was quite friendly. Numerous staff members acknowledged us at various times and asked how we were doing.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank riverseine
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Stayed at Moorpark in February. The hotel is apparently changing hands. The restaurant is basically closed - service only includes happy hour hors d'ouvres buffet. No room service. Breakfast was okay, though. Rooms and lobby, etc could use some TLC, getting a bit long in the tooth. Fitness center needs a good cleaning. Hopefully things will settle down and get better soon. Staff was very friendly and accommodating - the bright spot for our stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank travelin_ed
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Generally Moorpark was an amazing hotel, everything from the staff to the rooms, the outdoor area was excellent..
Also if you are traveling by car it is in a very convenient location and it offers free parking.
Moreover, not more than 100m away from the hotel there are some restaurants like apple bees if you don't feel like driving downtown.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 25, 2010

I had stayed here a couple of years ago, and was really looking forward to coming back. However, this time around I was disappointed. First of all, I had booked a room with king size bed. Upon arrival, I was told there was a mix up and they didn't have enough rooms with king size beds available, and since we checked in the latest, we had to take a two queen size beds. (What? So whose mistake is it? Not mine right?) She just presented it as a fact and wasn't especially apologetic nor did she attempted to offer anything to make up for it. The room we got was one in thefirst floor and upon entering, I could tell there was a smell that I didn't like. Not sure how to describe it, but it's like those smell you would get at a Quality Inn or similar hotels. The couch in the room looked old and stained. Bed/bedsheet were decent. The TV was old!!! We paid $80 before tax and now I wish I had looked into other hotels in the area. Will not come back to Moorpark Hotel next time I come to San Jose.

• Stayed: December 2010