“had to check out”

Hampton Inn & Suites San Jose
Ranked #14 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed February 1, 2010

Kind of in a weird area but I had high hopes, looked brand spankin new, walked into room with high ceilings but the air freshener scent was overwhelming and made me ill, also extremely thin walls can hear every word next door, even hear things drop on floor or table...its newer and different than the usual Hampton Inn, I had to check out the same night

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed December 25, 2009

When I'm travelling to San Jose, I prefer to stay at Hyatt. BUT this time I decided to stay at this Hampton Inn & Suites. What a great place! Location, staff, service, breakfast WOW! Will definitely stay there.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Sanjay_Mistry
Reviewed November 2, 2009

I booked at the last minute, and chose the hotel in part because the website says it's accessible by public transit. Unfortunately, once I arrived in San Jose, no one at the airport or hotel could tell me how to get there.

I took a cab, which the hotel said would cost around $20 from SJC, at 5 miles away - the hotel is 8 miles from the airport, and the cost of the cab was $35 (including the 15% tip).

The girl working at the desk was not particularly friendly. The first room assigned had a very odd smell in it, and there was a drying unit running in the room. I immediately went back to the desk and asked to be reassigned.

I was put in Building B, in a suite that looked brand new. It had a kitchenette in a sitting room, with an adjacent bedroom with a queen bed. There were electrical outlets everywhere, and it was quiet I felt like I was the only one in the building, and my room was right by the elevator. No view to speak of, but the bathroom boasted a good sized shower, with a head that had multiple settings. The bed was comfortable, the sheets were clean, the decor blonde wood with pale blue and cream accents. Best of all were the complimentary snacks and a note inviting me to attend the manager's reception.

The free Interent didn't allow for streaming media (today's business travels do more than email, it's an incredible frustration of trying to get work done on the road.

The food at the manager's reception was pretty gross (thawed guacamole and chips, disgusting store bought potato salad - always a good idea to have sitting out! and ice bream lettuce salad with a bottled dressing), and the hostess not friendly. The complimentary drinks were cheap beer and wine in a jug. The TV was blaring the World Series game, and everyone was sort of in their own little world. The snacks in my room, and free popcorn, were much better.

Breakfast including the signature hot processed sausage and egg, which I skipped. There was fresh fruit, yogurt, pastries and bagels.

I tried the business center and I couldn't print my boarding pass because there was something wrong with the computer/printer connection. The gentleman at the desk was very kind and took care of the printing for me, and called a cab for me.

The fancy decor in the common areas makes me feel like this hotel thinks it's fancier than it is. Certainly there is room for improvement, but the price was right for a comfy bed, working shower and decent breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2008

the room size was great, the front desk employees were rude, the employee never said i word during check in, just pointed! breakfast was not put together very well, had cheap yucky items. We heard everything said and going on in the rooms next to us on both sides, walls seem to be very thin, so we got no sleep.
in a bad part of town.
we will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2008

Our family of two adults and two young children spent two nights in a suite. We are Hilton Diamond members and stayed using points.

Pros: Room was large, with a separate bedroom and pull-out sofa for the kids to sleep. Beds were the newer Hampton Inn style, and the room was newly re-carpeted. The room was clean, and everything was in working order. Staff was friendly and helpful. There is a gas station, Target, Starbucks, and other stores nearby.

Cons: There was a lot of road traffic noise, and, as is stated in other reviews, the hotel is in a rather run-down section of San Jose. The outdoor swimming pool looked tiny and nasty, and I was thankful that it was January and too cold for my kids to want to use it.

For our travel purposes, however, the hotel was a winner! We will stay there again the next time we visit our relatives in San Jose.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Mizzou93
Reviewed November 12, 2007

This will not be the first review to claim that this hotel is in an odd neighborhood. It's a neighborhood that is either undergoing regentrification or has failed at it. To the right is a brand new Target, to left is a Wal*Mart. On one side of the street there's a Starbucks, on the other there's a check cashing store. Nowhere is there the sense that this is where you want to be.

The hotel reflects the confusion outside. The comfortable Hampton mattress and bedding sit a sparsely furnished room that feels unfinished. The complimentary Hampton breakfast is served in a room without enough seating for its diners. Construction appears recent and fresh but annoyingly thin walls and ceilings indicate a shoddy job.

If you're doing business nearby and don't mind hearing your neighbors, you'll be fine here for a night or two. If you're looking for the San Jose romanticized by Dionne Warwick, you'll need to look elsewhere.

Stayed: November 2007
2  Thank KSnj
Reviewed November 2, 2007

This Hampton Inn is a gem. It is a little off the beaten path and not much around it but it is very well kept and managed. It features a beautiful lobby and very friendly front desk staff. The rooms were your average Hampton Inn rooms, but very clean and decorated. The managers reception every night was awesome. Can't beat free food and drinks. If you want to dine out be prepared to drive a few miles for your chain resturants. There is not much to see outside. it is very industrial and a bit run down, but I've stayed in much worse areas. I would stay there again because of the friendly staff and managers reception.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business