“Not the best Hampton but certainly comfortable”

Hampton Inn & Suites San Jose
Ranked #14 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I frequently stay at Hamptons because I'm a HiltonHonors member and get free nights. That being said, not all Hamptons are as good as the others. This one is average, with some good points and bad points. Speaking of points - this one was 30,000 points per night compared to 20,000 for the newer one in Morgan Hill. If you're just driving through San Jose, I'd drive the extra 30 minutes or so to the one in Morgan HIll.

We stayed here at the end of May, 2013 for one night. I was traveling with my teenage son.

Good points: the room with our 2 queen beds was large and had plenty of room. Not as large though as the Hampton we stayed in the next night (it also had a chair and ottoman). Beds were comfortable and we had plenty of towels and toiletries (although no shower cap - yeah I actually use them!)

The location for us was okay. I lived in San Jose for 15 years so I had no problems finding it from airport. But for those not from the city, it may not be so easy as you have to navigate a lot of busy streets to get here. Not an "airport" hotel by any means and not really close to downtown. So I think the location is sort of weird. We visited friends in south San Jose - about 10-15 minutes away. It's just off Monterey Road, which is convenient, but sort of a shady area of town. Not the sort of place you can walk from to restaurants, shopping, etc. Car is definitely needed.

Despite the area being busy, our room was quiet. However, I did notice that they were doing construction and painting, so if you were a late sleeper you'd be out of luck. Not sure when all of this will be done. The positive is that the Hotel does have a fresh clean look to it. I noticed that they were completing a second building - didn't appear to be open yet. So this will be quite a large property when done.

As we were out visiting friends that night, I didn't notice that the TV wasn't working until morning. Not a huge thing, but I do like to watch the local news in the morning.

Where they fell short was the breakfast service. I noticed that the employee in charge of the restocking the breakfast area was more busy socializing with the painters that keeping the food restocked. I noticed that waffle mix was about empty. Didn't see anyone around so I told the front desk clerk. He said that "oh, this happens because families come down on the weekend and they all have waffles and we run out." Well, first of all, it was Friday, not a Saturday or Sunday, and there weren't any families - primarily business people. Secondly, the employee was slacking off and not doing her job. At the Hampton in Morgan Hill I saw the breakfast person constantly buzzing around and keeping the area looking neat, clean, and restocked - a stark contrast to this Hampton.

However, they did have complimentary cookies when we arrived, as well as a little cocktail party (wine/beer/appetizers), so this extra service was appreciated (didn't have this in Morgan HIll).

Overall, good. Just a few little issues with breakfast service and TV not working.

1  Thank pjc62

Reviewed June 5, 2013

The lobby area was very clean and had a fresh smell when we entered, good sign...hope that means the room is equally fresh. The guest room was indeed clean and fresh smelling. Plenty of parking. The complimentary breakfast, was plentiful...waffle maker a major plus...kids will really love it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 31, 2013

There was no notifications given through Hilton Honors that this hotel is being worked on. At this point in the construction there is no paint on the walls and no dining room (You eat in the lobby). The room itself was quiet and well maintained and the staff was very friendly. The area it is located in is shady at best.

1  Thank John Paul D
Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

It was just ok for me. Walls are very thin and you can hear regular conversations all nite long. It sounds like the ceiling/floor above you is thin too. You can hear the toilet flush and sounded like the people above me doing the tango.
The room itself was good, nicely furnished. They are remodeling and the price was very expensive for a mid-week Hampton stay . Will look elsewhere next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank CaseyBouldin
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Great stay! They were doing some renovation but it wasn't extremely noisy or anything, just some stuff left out in the hallway during the day. Everyone was nice and really helpful. The lobby looked gorgeous! The beds were comfortable. My boyfriend and I had such a great stay. We will be coming back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Took my daughter and her friend to a Fanime Convention in San Jose. This hotel was 2.3 miles from downtown and a straight shot. It was very easy to get in and out to the convention center. Lacked in personality, but a fine place to hang one's hat for an evening.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

The staff was very pleasant. Rooms were comfortable and roomy. I was traveling with alone with my 2 sons and felt safe in the area. Parking was good (and free!). The complimentary breakfast was well done with hot waffles and eggs. I would stay there again.