“Good but needs to be updated”

Hampton Inn & Suites San Jose
Ranked #14 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed August 30, 2011

This Hampton Inn is not as updated as the ones I usually stay in but it was still nice. The room was really clean and spacious and it was great to have a refrigerator and microwave in the room. Staff is friendly. My big complaint is with the fitness room. As a business traveler this can be important and they shouldn't advertise that they have a fitness room when the equipment is so old and in need of repair. If you don't care about that, then I would stay here. If this is a big deal to you, I would go somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank gracie104

Reviewed August 10, 2011

My mom and i came to San Jose,Ca and stayed at this Hampton hotel. This hotel has a nice welcoming lobby with welcoming staff. The rooms here are spacious and very comfortable. The sweet start breakfast here was very good and had a lot of tasty options. The hotel is in a great location about 5min. away from downtown San Jose. Next time your in San Jose stay here for sure. :)

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2011

I was supposed to stay two nights and after only one night I left. I couldn't wait to get out. While it is fairly clean looking overall and the lot is well it, the hotel looks and feels like it used to be some kind of downscale brand, not a Hampton inn. I felt like I was staying in a prison bordello! Fluorescent lighting abounds. There's no auto entry doors on the lobby. The pool is about as big as a postage stamp. The rooms are cavernous feeling, making furnishings and accoutrements appear tiny, sparse, and cheap. My room had a slightly funky/musty smell. Walls are PAPER THIN. If your neighbor is watching TV you'll know what channel they are watching. If they sneeze, you'll know it. If you said "bless you" they'd hear it! Trust me, I heard my neighbor sneeze. I was just glad I didn't hear other things. My room overlooked a junky looking construction equipment rental yard. They were setting up a "Cash4Gold" thing in a meeting room when I checked out..very sketchy. The best thing I can say about the room is that the bed had a nice featherbed topper. If you are a very, very no-frills person who needs to be in this area and wants a free breakfast with your stay it may be for you, but otherwise I'd head for a comparably priced hotel in nearby Santa Clara.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank shethang
Reviewed February 16, 2011

Stayed here while in San Jose visiting family. We stayed in a 2BD suite. It was very clean. A no frills room but very clean. The kitchenette had a sink, mini frig, and microwave. The hotel property is nice, well kept, and the parking lot is well lit. You can enter and exit the hotel drive from only one street. The hotel is easily accessible and kitty corner to a brand new shopping center called The Plant. There are lots of restaurants and shops; Starbucks, Five Guys, Target, El Pollo Loco...just to name a few. There is a big cemetery across the street. It is not the best area of San Jose, so while we felt safe in the hotel and didn't have any safety concerns, it is not an area where we would have taken a walk at night.

The breakfasts were good and like other Hampton Inns have hot food/protein options. One morning it was a bacon, egg, cheese melt bagel. 2nd morning it was spicy sausage with scrambled eggs. 3rd morning it was eggs and sausage patties. It is a smaller breakfast room and a few families could easily fill it. But, during our stay most of the travelers were those staying on business.

While the staff was friendly and helpful there is one that made an incredible impression. He came into the breakfast area and greeted everyone (guests, breakfast room staff). He had a great attitude and fabulous personality and was professionally dressed (slacks & dress shirt). We knew he worked there but weren't sure of his role. We asked around, b/c we intended to come home and write our Trip Advisor review, and discovered that he was the Hotel Manager, Matt Logan. What a great asset Hilton Hotels has with him. Amazing and refreshing to observe someone with such an outgoing personality that treats others with such kindness, and respect.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 14, 2011

I've stayed here several nights over the last few weeks and it's been serviceable as well as comfortable.

Good price for the area. Great fitness center, excellent breakfast and evening reception and a very business savvy clientele.

Only had a problem with noise one night and they refunded me for the night before I even asked.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed January 24, 2011

We've traveled mainly by RV; but as we are nearing 65, we have started to stay at hotels/motels. The Hampton Inn on Tully Road was wonderful. Clean, comfortable beds, huge rooms, and a pretty decent breakfast. I must mention that the desk staff, both day and night were very kind and helpful. Please don't hesitate to stay here, we will be recommending this to all of our traveling friends and family.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2010

This hotel looks to be of new construction, it has a nice design and the rooms are above average. They have wired internet and wireless in the rooms (I didn't use the wireless). There's an upstairs "library" (I didn't see any books), but it's a nice sitting area if you need to hold a meeting.

When I checked in the staff reminded me to use any points cards for airlines and hotels I may have, which was nice.

I also like the fact that I could leave the A/C on A/C - with the fan on all the time, but the A/C set at a certain temp.

There's not much that walking distance around the hotel, but that wasn't a concern for me.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business