“Nice hotel, so-so value”
Review of San Jose Marriott

San Jose Marriott
Ranked #3 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
na
“Nice hotel, so-so value”
Reviewed August 4, 2007

Keeping this quick and simple, as much of my comments have already been said.

Nice hotel, with recently upgraded and remodeled rooms. Convenient location, especially if you need to be close to the SJ convention center. VERY hit-or-miss service with the valet and front desk staff. However, the concierge and "At Your Service" operator are great.

I did want to underscore another reviewer's comment regarding value. This place really does nickel + dime you for every little thing. For example, the going rate for internet access at most hotels (and nearly all the other Marriott hotels) is $9.95 a day. At the SJ Marriott, it's $12.95 from noon until noon. Making a toll-free (800, 866, 877 #) call? That will cost you. Forgot to pack toothpaste? The hotel will provide some but you'll see on your bill later that they charged you for it.

Finally when booking at this hotel, or anyplace in downtown SJ for that matter, is keep the cost of parking in mind. The hotel only offers valet parking which is $25 a day. Parking next door at the convention center is $18/day with no in and out privileges. There's also a $13 and $15 lot a few blocks away. Overnight street parking is not allowed in downtown SJ without a permit.

All of this just adds to the overall frustrating regarding value for your money because so many other hotels include these things as part of the guest experience (or just aren't as expensive).

BTW, this is coming from someone who travels for a living and is away from home 200+ nights a year, so I have quite a bit of perspective on this.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff attitude, value for your money
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank travelbug55733

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Broadway, VA
Reviewed July 14, 2007

Extremely nice hotel. One of the best I've ever stayed in. We got a fabulous rate of $89 per nite I guess because we were booking with a convention. If I had paid $250 a nite, I might be writing a different review. The exercise room was top-notch, the outdoor pool on the roof of the third floor was fine, the room was wonderful. Even with the parking at $25 a nite, we still paid less than almost anywhere else we went on this trip. My only complaint was with the staff at the front desk. They weren't exactly helpful or personable or even especially friendly. If you wanted info. on how to get around town or where to purchase something (in our case, a cellphone), you were pointed in the direction of the 2 almost always busy computers in the lobby and told to look it up on the internet. Perhaps this hotel is too large for its own good in that respect. Overall, though, an excellent choice for the money we spent!!

• Liked — the quality of the accomodations
  • Disliked — front desk staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
San Ramon
Reviewed July 11, 2007

Room itself was nice, but Valet are VERY DISHONEST! I was attending a conference here and had parked my car with Valet. Damage had been done to my vehicle while parked in valet and upon my departure, they went so far as to cover it up by holding my door open as I walked up so I would not see the large dent and scratch on the driver's side door of my NEW car! I noticed the damage as soon as I had driven off the lot and upon returning to make a claim, they stated they were not responsible as I had not reported it before I left the property. I was given the run-around by management and valet for months and eventually had to pay out of my own pocket for the damage THEY had done! I will NEVER book another conference or stay at this hotel again!

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank SanRamonPosey
San Francisco
Reviewed July 7, 2007

Very attractive hotel with friendlly staff right in downtown San Jose and near museums and other attractions. Beautiful Michael Mina restaurant BUT no casual coffee shop for breakfast. Like other Marriots reported in Tripadviser, large Saturday night wedding resulted in unsupervised kids running in our hallway until 1:30 a.m. - finally called front desk but, in any case, event was over about that time. Management should have been providing routine patrols of hallways and not rely on guest complaints! Subsequently complained to Marriott management - several standard apology emails resuled - finally suggested that when they get a complaint like this they donate $500 to charity - THAT would fix the problem! Hotel sent us certificate for one night/one room (we had in TWO rooms during the unfortunate stay) good on a weekend and (apparently) without an expiration date. Will give them another try and see how it goes.

• Liked — Facilities and location
  • Disliked — noise in hallways kept us from sleeping well
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed July 7, 2007

We planned to stay just one nite but had such a nice experience at a great rate AAA $140 we stayed 2. We stayed on the 15th floor with a view toward Lick Obser. Had a roll away brought in for my son in our king room. It was tight but do able. The hotel is very fresh, clean. the bed was a bit too soft for me, but had down comforter and pillows. The pool is a 3' lap type pool outside on a high floor room. Exercise area looked good with free fruit and water. Downstairs there is a little coffee shop with Peets coffee, good for a quick meal. It is only a block from the Tech museum so leaving our car in the hotel was a plus. The valet parking is high, $25. It was amazingly quiet for a downtown location which at first I thought would be a problem. There appeared to be a number of restaurants nearby to walk to even though we didn't try them. I would definitely stay again if in S.J.

• Liked — Upscale but med size hotel
  • Disliked — Valet parking price
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed July 6, 2007

I was traveling to San Jose with a colleague for a conference and had booked a different hotel online, which ended up being in an unsafe neighborhood. My colleague and I walked into the Marriott, when the front desk manager found out where we were staying, she immediately "found" a room for us (online the hotel was listed as booked due to the conference), saying she couldn't let us stay in such an unsafe neighborhood. She, and every other staff member we came across, was phenomemal! The room and the rest of the hotel was great, but what I am so impressed about was the service. I have previously made my hotel choices based primarily on cost, Gina and the rest of the staff at The Marriott have converted me!

• Liked — Excellent service!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
ORANGE COUNTY, CA
Reviewed June 30, 2007

The hotel has been recently updated and has very nice rooms. Flat screen TV and very nice beds. The hotel also has a very nice workout facility and outdoor pool. If you are traveling here on business, it has everything that you need. It is next to the convention center as well as centrally located within walking distance to restaurants. Try Il Fornaio for a meal, it is right accross the street and the food is very good.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business