“Typical Marriot. Decent Hotel, Exceptional Location...”
Review of San Jose Marriott

San Jose Marriott
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 3, 2009

I've never had a bad experience at a Marriot... Really, you know what you are getting the moment you walk in the door... A clean, semi-upscale hotel, with small but comforatble rooms... What set this hotel apart was its location... Its only a few miles away from excellent shopping/nightlife (can't remember what the strip was actually called) and tourist destinations like the winchester house as well as an amusment park...

The hotel bar was also exceptional, with an excellent selection of beers and wine....

My only compaint was the staff at this particular hotel did not rank the highest in terms of customer service.... The desk clerk who checked us in seemed to be doing us a huge favor by allowing us to stay at this particular hotel and one of the parking attendants threatened to valet our car because it took us about "too long" to check in.... I had to wonder if they were in cahoots with the front desk because believer me, I had no desire to prolong that transaction!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 16, 2009

My room and bathroom were huge! I slept with my drapes open the entire stay and enjoyed watching the planes flying in. They were so close outside my window! The room was spotless and the location was perfect for where I needed to be. The front desk staff was wonderful but the room service left a little to be desired. Very expensive for very poor quality of food. My banana split looked like it was made with a melon-baller and I only got 2 scoops for $9. The price for water was insanely expensive. The restaurant was never open for breakfast or lunch. The valet staff was never friendly. And that was before they even brought my car around and knew how much they were getting tipped. For the record, I tip $3 for every time they retrieved my car and every time hey reparked it for me. I thought that was quite fair but some of the stares I received showed their non-appreciation. Twice I found coffee spilled on my steering wheel and extra mileage accrued on my trip spedometer. The complimentary internet in the hotel lobby was very much appreciated. This is what should be offered at every hotel, especially when the rooms themselves are so pricey to begin with. I would definitely stay here again, but I would NEVER valet, and NEVER order room service.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I loved our stay at the Marriott San Jose! I would definitely return. I am really picky about hotels and I was not sure about this one.. but everything about the hotel was great. Staff was friendly! Rooms were great! Pool and fitness area was a lot of fun!

I had requested for mini fridges because our rooms did not come with them, and they were delivered to both rooms.

Although parking is a bit pricey, the staff was great! Overall, I had a good time at this hotel. My family also enjoyed their stay as well! Definitely a hotel to return to in the future!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2009

I just stayed here for a conference and this hotel is wonderful! The rooms were clean and comfortable and the noise level in the halls not bad which was no mean feat since our conference was going on! It connects to the San Jose Convention Center which is where our conference was located which made it extra convenient. During our down time we found plenty to do. My friend and I rode the light rail to the Great Mall in Milpitas (which was fun!) and a group of us jumped on one of the buses in front of the hotel to another mall. The downtown area is nice and we enjoyed that along with eating at Peggy Sue's and the Speciality Bakery which was close to our hotel. The Jazz Festival was playing the night before we left and we walked around the area which was jumping. We had a great stay at the Marriott and the hotel staff was very friendly and took care of our every need. I would stay here again!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank marymcq
Reviewed June 23, 2009

I recently stayed at the San Jose Marriott for two nights for a conference. The staff was exceptionally pleasant and attentive. I'm a Marriott rewards member, and the front-desk staffer went out of his way to let me know that they had accommodated the requests on my profile. The room was clean, and the bed was quite comfortable. The only problems: The water-saving showerhead had such low water pressure that it took a while to get the shampoo rinsed out of my hair. And oddly enough for a hotel in the heart of Silicon Valley, the Internet was agonizingly slow--to the point where I had to give up on some work I was trying to do. I was using wired, not wireless, so speed shouldn't have been an issue.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 2, 2009

After reviewing a lengthy list of available options in downtown San Jose we ended up cosing the SJ Marriott. All was well, great location, good pool, free internet in the lobby as free WiFi in the lobby (1 hr).
We had 3 rooms, all on same floor, all 3 rooms had diff configurations and views. A little odd, but nothing serious enough to complain about.
Location is great for convention center as well as most downtown spots. Most cabs to most clubs were no more than $7-$8 and taxis were always out front waiting.
Only complaint was room service. - Were ordered 1 Mac and Cheese meal with Chicken, 1 club sandwich, 2 Caesar Salads and 2 milk shakes... total of $95. (NUTS). And then, all the food was horrible and the shakes were warm... thus we complained and they mentioned it would be taken care of. Upon check out.... it was still on our bill and no-one had any idea of what we were talking about. After speaking to the front desk and the F&B manager they negotiated to reduce the charge by $40.
Sounded like a fair plan. We were satisfied with the outcome.
Beware of the horrible elevators if a convention is going on... get used to stairs.
All in all, a good if not great hotel !!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank concordia7
Reviewed May 19, 2009

In March, my husband had to go out to San Jose on business, so I joined him for a few days. This Marriott is lovely! Our room was clean and comfy. The internet worked well, and the beds were extremely comfortable. The restaurant, where I had breakfast, was somewhat pricey but very good. I had a really lovely breakfast! One day I had breakfast at the cafe, which was fine but nothing spectacular.

It was a bit chilly, but I still managed to use the pool, which is a very good size. The hot tub was great, too. The valet parking was great. The hotel staff was excellent, too -- particularly the front desk staff. Staff members were always more than happy to help me with suggestions, directions, and local info. I rented a car one day, and they were helpful in instructing me how to find a rental place. They also gave me clear and easy public transit directions. When I rented the car, I drove to Santa Cruz and then down route 1 to Big Sur -- what a drive! I highly recommend it -- so beautiful!

The location is fine, but San Jose does not have a ton going on, so the location may seem like it's nothing to shake a stick at. There is an art museum (lovely!) and the Technology (nice -- esp. for kids) museum just a few steps from the hotel. But if you want to go sightseeing or shopping, you'll have to find some sort of transportation. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at this Marriott. The only thing that might prevent us from staying here again is the fact that San Jose isn't that exciting.

The location of the hotel was fine.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business