“Great downtown stay”

San Jose Marriott
Ranked #8 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The quality of the rooms and cleanliness of the hotel was great. The restaurant and bar downstair were quaint and the food was delicious. Having s Starbuck in the Lobby was also a nice touch. The only cumbersome area was the valet parking. What a confused area and cramped space. Easy to understand why it sometimes took 20 min to get your car. Better make sure you call ahead like they suggest....

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
joelcosta67, Director of Sales at San Jose Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Thank you for your great comments. We feel the parking pain but the lot we were built on is a bit shy of the square footage needed to say the least. Our staff is dedicated to making it a painless as possible. We appreciate a road warrior like yourself recognizing us for how we host our guests. We hope to see you return soon!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I travel to San Jose frequently and almost always stay at the San Jose Marriott as it is close to my company address. The location is also great for dining with many great alternatives within a short walk. I love their gold lounge and really appreciate the friendliness of the staff.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Than ks for the great review!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

The service in every aspect of the hotel service was first class; check in, restaurant, housekeeping and concierge. I ate lunch at the Arcadis restaurant and the food was well done, not cheap or tasteless. Service was prompt and friendly. Our company had a small management meeting in a small private room on the side of the main restaurant on another occassion. Again, good service and good food. I used the room service for breakfast and had a good meal delivered on time. I worked out in the gym and was pleasantly surprised by the size and amenities. About four treadmills, three elipticals, free weights, rack systems and a small space for mats and stability balls. The fitness center looked out onto the pool deck. The room itself was typical Marriott class space. Housekeeping did a great job cleaning the space. The hotel is located right next to the convention center and is connected on the second level with a walkway. There was a nice bar located on the first floor overlooking a downtown corner.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for all your great comments...we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I was here for 3 nights due to a conference. Valet is $29 per day. Check-in was very quick. Room was average size, clean, and ready. Hotel is connected to the convention center and has a coffee shop on the 1st floor as you go into the convention center. Their computer/business area has ipads for use (but you have to stand to use them). Entry to the convention center is also from the 2nd floor. This should have been a perfect site for a multi day conference.

During the 1st night i woke up dripping wet as the room had become very warm, despite the air conditioning being set to 60 (it should have been a meat locker). I reported it to the front desk in the morning as i was off to a meeting. When i came back at 1pm, a note said the AC was fixed, but the room was as warm as the hall. I called again and they said they would send the engineer or move me. At 6pm, i came back to get ready for dinner, and no improvement so again i reported it, saying that i did not have time to move before dinner but if it was not fixed, i would ask to move after dinner.... I should have known, when i got back at 10pm, it was no better. This time, 2 engineers came up... Said it was fine. But it was only about 70 in the room. I asked to be moved and was told there were no kings available. Since i desired a king (knee reason) the only thing they could do is bring me a fan. Again i awoke to a hot room. As an Elite Marriott, i wrote a complaint and in the morning the front desk called to say a king was available at 8am, so they finally moved me. It was only after sending that email to Marriott Corp was the front desk staff responsive.

The hotel restaurant is also very slow. Despite having a buffet, it took 15-20 minutes to be seated at 9:30 on a Sunday with 30% of the restaurant full. The person who does the seating is incredibly slow and despite asking if i could just grab a plate at the buffet, and sit at the bar, she insisted that i had to wait to be properly seated. Once seated, i had to flag down someone to get water and it was not until i was finished did i notice that the buffet included coffee or juice, so I had to go in search of someone to get juice and then my bill (i didn't even try for coffee). The buffet is very plentiful - has eggs, bacon, potato, and all of the usual stuff, but the staff seemed disorganized.

The reason for posting here is to warn you to have low customer service expectations from this marriott property.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
joelcosta67, Director of Sales at San Jose Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Thank you for your honest review. We regret you had this experience and assure you that all parties have been addressed as well as the mechanical issue with the air. We do hope you may return again. Please let us know.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Hotel is nicely situated, polite concierge and clean rooms yet I departed feeling a bit bitter. I stayed at the hotel for 5 days via a conference that was paid for directly by my employer and upon departure was told that I would not be earning any Marriot points for my stay. IMarriot promotions always gave me the impression that the one who pays is not the one who earns the points and that the one who stays does.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Adam, we completely understand your frustration, however the rewards system has always been that the entity who pays gets the points. We hear this from many conference attendees and we do pass on the comments to our corporate contacts. I do hear that these concerns are certainly under consideration.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

This was a business trip for me and although rooms were very difficult to book (I tried to book for the following week and couldn't get a reservation) when I got in, the room was nice. They are located at South Market Street and San Carlos, very close to the college campus, courthouse, museums and restaurants. Everything is walkable from the hotel. The lobby has a restaurant and also a Starbucks / convenience store. They have a small, open business center where you can print boarding passes or use the Internet (the first 15 minutes are free, and then you are charged a fee - which is fair). The concierge level is nice with a generous outside seating area with a nice view. There is a small gym, which is pretty decent, with several treadmills and a couple of other cardio machines, some free weights, a balance ball and some weight benches. They have headsets available (clean, in packaging) , towels, water and fresh fruit. They do have a pool, though it is a bit small. The staff was all very pleasant. The rooms were not large, but certainly adequate and clean. I would definitely stay here again - if I could ever book a room.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for all your great mentions of our service and amenities! San Jose is extremely busy again after our economic turn down, We do hope you can return and please contact me if I can assist!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Excellent on all counts. All the amenities, quality and cleanliness were outstanding. The staff were first rate also. I would thoroughly recommend. Loved San Jose also and this location is right in the center near restaurants and the convention center. Well done Marriott.

1  Thank victor b

Thank you for your kind words!