“What a view”

San Jose Marriott
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We spent one night here coming in from Nap Valley heading to LAX.
What a welcomed night we had! The staff, the room, and the view of the San Jose valley. Easy access from the highway.
We thoroughly enjoyed the experience. the manager emailed me after our visit to express thanks and to hear my thoughts. Very nice touch also.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
joelcosta67, Director of Sales at San Jose Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Thank you for the great review!

There are newer reviews for San Jose Marriott

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip to San Jose. Great hotel, staff, and connoisseur's level. Great location for going out for dinner or drinks. The room was very nice and a top notch Marriott Hotel. This is my hotel for business in the bay area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for the great review!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Good lobby and good location but thats about it. The check in staff was not very friendly and the bathrooms are very dirty. The cleaning crew was average at best. This hotel needs an attitude adjustment to be recognized as a 4 star that it charges for.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
joelcosta67, Director of Sales at San Jose Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

We can assure you this is not the experience we work for our guests to have. All parties involved have been addressed and we certainly hope you may have another chance to stay with us again.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

My gold status with United entitled me to gold status with Marriott (BUT you have to sign up for it) - so I am automatically upgraded to a room with access to the concierge level AND free internet. I f you are gold status with Marriott be sure to ask about both, the concierge level is usually mentioned but you must "pay" for the internet, which they take off after your stay.

The rooms were exactly what are to be expected at a typical Marriott - so no surprises there. Clean comfortable rooms. The San Jose train is a bit noisy down below, but I sleep with ear plugs, so it didn't bother me too much. If you are bothered by street noise I would recommend a room on the other side of the hotel. They don't provide free bottled water in the room - which was ok, I went up to the concierge lounge and got a couple bottles from there. The concierge lounge is really nice and has great breakfast options. I didn't make it up in the evening - they had a fun candy bar (which I glanced at after breakfast).

Parking was $29 per night - which wasn't bad when factored into my room price. Excellent location near convention center and Arcadia is the BEST restaurant. The martini bar is fun to sit at and people watch walking on the street ESPECIALLY if you luck out and there is a anime convention in town.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that overlook the train if you are bothered by noise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
joelcosta67, Director of Sales at San Jose Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you for the great review and tips for other travelers, we appreciate it!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

This Marriott is right in Downtown San Jose and is next door to the convention center. In many ways, it is a lot like most Marriotts and has Marriott's drawbacks too like generic looking and not that contemporary (but comfortable) rooms.

Still, there are nice touches at this Marriott. It has Marriott's high standard for excellent, friendly service. The valets are very polite and efficient. There is a Michael Mina restaurant located on site and the Concierge Lounge (for Marriott Rewards Gold and Platinum members) has an open patio high up on the building that features individually plated dishes at night and more than your typical Marriott Concierge Lounge breakfast offerings (a potatoes dish as well as a waffle bar). If you are spending a lot of time in the South Bay, this is a good option for a long or short stay.

Pros: Comfortable hotel with some upscale touches (Michael Mina restaurant, nice lobby, nice Concierge Lounge), friendly service, reasonable room rates on most weekends, in-room safe, right in Downtown San Jose though San Jose lacks San Francisco's energy and things to do

Cons: Expensive parking, given that this hotel is in a Downtown area, I wish the rooms were a tad more sleek and contemporary

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Anthony thank you for the kind review. Next year we are renovating the hotel and I have seen the design and I assure you it is unlike any other hotel you've seen, we will be showing off the new look by next September. Also, I am a resident of SF and I hear you about the things to do, but San Jose has many kept secrets. Not sure if you heard of the San Pedro Public Market? Great scene and I hope you'll check it out next time... contact me for other ideas of things that make San Jose unique... joel.costa@marriott.com Take care and hope you''l return again soon...

Reviewed September 3, 2013

During my recent visit to San Jose for the Jazz Fest, I stayed at SJ Marriott for the first time after15 years of loyal patronage with their main rival.

Purely an economic decision.
One price was right and the other was way wrong.

In every category, the surpassed my formerly preferred hotel. From check in to check out, the Marriott staff displayed professionalism in all categories of service. The SJ Marriott provided a comparable if not superior value at half the cost.

My family and friends had eight rooms this year and we will have at least ten next year because we were so impressed with all that the Marriott offered beginning the price.

• Stayed: August 2013

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at this downtown location when I was back in town visiting friends. While I'm from the area, I had never been to the downtown Marriott Hotel. The reason I chose it was because I got a great AAA rate that covered the expense of valet parking as well. Check in was a breeze and my stay there couldn't have been better. The room was fantastic and I'm not sure what scent they use as an air freshener in the rooms, but WOW! That was almost the best part! The best was super comfortable, the staff was super friendly, and the location of my room, while it was near the elevator, was very quiet.

I would stay here again in a second!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Thank you so much for the kind words! We hope to welcome you back again when you visit.