“Pretty nice ..although” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chester, California
“Pretty nice ..although”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Not helpful regarding handicapped parking. Even being a rewards member 12 plus$$$ to get Internet. The bar Tanq served great food! Good prices. Was good to be near convention center and other eateries.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
joelcosta67, Director of Sales at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Cheryl, thank you for your great comments. Sorry to hear you were not assisted with handicapped parking? We have valet only here in downtown due to limited parking resources. All parking is city owned and the valet company is separate, however they should have directed you to the convention center garage if you had wanted to self-park. They only trouble with that is there is no in and out privileges. We do hope you will return again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

I stayed here for three nights for PTA convention! You never have to go outside! I wasn't excited about the San Jose location but this hotel and San Jose completely impressed me. I stay at Marriotts in many major cities, and this one is #1. Nice Staff, large rooms, AMAZING beds, right sized office table in room with many plugs and connections. The concierge lounge offered MANY varieties of food and snacks with very nice outdoor seating on 26th floor! The location is prefect next to convention center and tons of places to walk to eat and shop just outside their front doors.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
joelcosta67, Director of Sales at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to express your satisfaction with our property and San Jose. We really appreciate the kind words!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

I'm a big Marriott fan as I always get great service, I love the beds, and while they tend to be a bit more expensive, it's always worth it. The San Jose Marriott is no exception.

I've stayed here twice in the past year and haven't been disappointed. From the front desk, to room service, to the hotel bar, everything is done right and the people are super nice. A standard room with a King bed is quite big and I am a big fan of the bathrooms. I love a big bathroom to spread out all my stuff.

If you are attending a conference at the neighboring convention center, I definitely recommend staying here. The hotel is attached and you can walk right over. The only downside is if you have to park it's a bit expensive. I recommend parking at the garage across the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. The last time I had a lovely view of the mountains.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
joelcosta67, Director of Sales at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
casieg_12, thank you so much for the wonderful review, we appreciate your return business. I wish I could say I could change the parking situation, however in a downtown location, the hotels rarely can own their own parking. The spaces used by our valet staff are actually owned by the city and the valet service is contracted as insurance prevents any self parking in those spaces. The garage options do save money but also keep in mind there are no in and out privileges so if you are driving in and do not plan to retrieve your car until you check out then it is a great solution to save some $$$.
Fresno, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

I chose this hotel due to its being adjacent to the conference center, at a total of $200+ for 1 night (incl. parking & tax). On arrival, I was told "The restaurant is closed because it's Sunday - you can eat in the room or in the lounge." After 3 hours in my car I didn't want to sit in a hotel room, but the lounge was standing room-only due to the hotel being full of conventioneers, and the restaurants across the street were packed for the same reason. The next day upon check-out, it took over an hour for valets to retrieve my car & since it was rush hour by then, I decided to kill time & get a bite in the crowded lounge - nope, it closed in my face at 5pm when all were kicked out for a private party. Couldn't even sit in the restaurant, which would not open 'til 5:30. Staff were trying, but getting burned out by all the irritated convention attendees (I assume all paying full price as I did). When you choose a hotel, pay a fair price and amenities advertised are unavailable (or sold to a private party), you are being ripped off. Marriott is compromising/sacrificing guest service to increase bottom line here (ex., how many quality hotels still charge for wireless?). (Apparently there is poor management at the policy-making level.)

Room Tip: Other hotels (Sainte Claire, Hilton, Sheraton) are also within easy walking distance of the conventi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate you letting know about your dissatisfaction with your most recent stay. Without this valuable feedback we cannot focus on addressing details that may have been overlooked. Our experience with our restaurant and lounge closures is certainly frustrating. Our signature restaurant Arcadia by acclaimed Chef and Restaurateur Michael Mina is not available on Sundays because like many standalone 4-star restaurants, we strive to have only our Chef de Cuisine on site to oversee food quality and consistency during dinner hours. Typically our lounge TANQ is able to take care of the guests on a Sunday evening when he is not on site. Your additional frustration with TANQ being bought out for a private event is also something that we typically plan for with opening the Arcadia lounge at the time TANQ would need to close for the private event. Apparently this was not well communicated to you and other diners that evening and I assure you our operations management is looking into why patrons were not advised of the early opening of Arcadia. We do hope that you will give us another chance in the future to win back your confidence.
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

I had to stay here for my house was being renovated. I have to say, the staff is very professional. I was able to fully utilize the fitness center and the restaurant. Rooms are very nice but a little noisy. Can't blame the hotel though this is not my residential neighborhood. Don't hesitate to book a room here. Overall i am happy that the renovation is completed and Marriott provided a comfortable stay. Thank you Marriott keep up the good job.

Room Tip: Get a room on the higher floor if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
joelcosta67, Director of Sales at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Ryan, Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your renovation. As you might have noticed we are having our own renovation taking place next door at the convention center. A brand new 125,000 square feet is being added and due to open in September. This may have contributed to the noise level. We hope that you will return again sometime after to see the difference. Maybe just a getaway to enjoy the pool during our Indian Summers? Thank you again for the great comments. -Joel
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Recently stayed here on business and was pleased with the condition of the property. Front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful. My only draw back was that our group did many activities on Santana Row which is about a 20 dollar cab ride away. Otherwise the property and its location is great for Downtown San Jose

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the great review. I love Santana Row myself and wish it were just next door! There is a bus that goes direct down San Carlos Street but a cab is always faster. We hope you might return sometime soon and also try the Public Market at San Pedro square which is about a 10 minute walk. It has mostly food vendors but it is a great place to try gourmet treats and their large bar and outdoor space as well. Thanks again for recognizing us!
Half Moon Bay, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

The San Jose Marriott is a well-located property if you have a meeting or activity planned in the downtown area. We were there for the weekend as a getaway and used a great parking/breakfast included rate. The price/value was good, but there were a couple of things I didn't like:

- Scent. The entire hotel has an overwhelming floral smell. Maybe it was a recent deep clean or maybe just a housekeeping supply run amok, but as an allergy sufferer, this was a real problem for me. Since it's a downtown high rise, the windows don't open, so no real opportunity to air out the room.

- Internet. Ok I understand it's a full service hotel so Internet not free, but isn't it time to rethink that policy? The entire lobby and restaurant were full of folks on iPads, phones, etc. trying to stay connected.

- In room coffee. Isn't it time for hotels to give up on the one cup coffee maker? Or if you're going to use this system, don't you need to at least provide enough supplies for 2 or 3 cups?

Positives were the room was very quiet, well-pointed, and modern. Bath was nice as was furniture and tv. A standard but well maintained and clean room.

Restaurant was excellent. The breakfast menu had some interesting items you don't see every day. It's pricey, so a good place if you're on an expense account or have a breakfast included rate. Bar kind of same category - fun cocktails but not cheap. Valet was efficient with retrieving car, but again quite pricey.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reaching out, we really value your opinion about the ambiance and services at our hotel. While it is our brand standard to offer a scent in the lobby, it should not permeate the building and we certainly will make sure our engineering team is aware of this. Although wifi is not complimentary in our guest rooms, it is in the lobby (and in all downtown San Jose). Thank you for these comments as well as the suggestion for in-room coffee service, we will take your input into consideration for the future service of the hotel.