“Never failed me”

San Jose Marriott
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I had to stay here for my house was being renovated. I have to say, the staff is very professional. I was able to fully utilize the fitness center and the restaurant. Rooms are very nice but a little noisy. Can't blame the hotel though this is not my residential neighborhood. Don't hesitate to book a room here. Overall i am happy that the renovation is completed and Marriott provided a comfortable stay. Thank you Marriott keep up the good job.

Room Tip: Get a room on the higher floor if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
joelcosta67, Director of Sales at San Jose Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Ryan, Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your renovation. As you might have noticed we are having our own renovation taking place next door at the convention center. A brand new 125,000 square feet is being added and due to open in September. This may have contributed to the noise level. We hope that you will return again sometime after to see the difference. Maybe just a getaway to enjoy the pool during our Indian Summers? Thank you again for the great comments. -Joel

There are newer reviews for San Jose Marriott

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Recently stayed here on business and was pleased with the condition of the property. Front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful. My only draw back was that our group did many activities on Santana Row which is about a 20 dollar cab ride away. Otherwise the property and its location is great for Downtown San Jose

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for the great review. I love Santana Row myself and wish it were just next door! There is a bus that goes direct down San Carlos Street but a cab is always faster. We hope you might return sometime soon and also try the Public Market at San Pedro square which is about a 10 minute walk. It has mostly food vendors but it is a great place to try gourmet treats and their large bar and outdoor space as well. Thanks again for recognizing us!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The San Jose Marriott is a well-located property if you have a meeting or activity planned in the downtown area. We were there for the weekend as a getaway and used a great parking/breakfast included rate. The price/value was good, but there were a couple of things I didn't like:

- Scent. The entire hotel has an overwhelming floral smell. Maybe it was a recent deep clean or maybe just a housekeeping supply run amok, but as an allergy sufferer, this was a real problem for me. Since it's a downtown high rise, the windows don't open, so no real opportunity to air out the room.

- Internet. Ok I understand it's a full service hotel so Internet not free, but isn't it time to rethink that policy? The entire lobby and restaurant were full of folks on iPads, phones, etc. trying to stay connected.

- In room coffee. Isn't it time for hotels to give up on the one cup coffee maker? Or if you're going to use this system, don't you need to at least provide enough supplies for 2 or 3 cups?

Positives were the room was very quiet, well-pointed, and modern. Bath was nice as was furniture and tv. A standard but well maintained and clean room.

Restaurant was excellent. The breakfast menu had some interesting items you don't see every day. It's pricey, so a good place if you're on an expense account or have a breakfast included rate. Bar kind of same category - fun cocktails but not cheap. Valet was efficient with retrieving car, but again quite pricey.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
joelcosta67, Director of Sales at San Jose Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Thank you for reaching out, we really value your opinion about the ambiance and services at our hotel. While it is our brand standard to offer a scent in the lobby, it should not permeate the building and we certainly will make sure our engineering team is aware of this. Although wifi is not complimentary in our guest rooms, it is in the lobby (and in all downtown San Jose). Thank you for these comments as well as the suggestion for in-room coffee service, we will take your input into consideration for the future service of the hotel.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here several times, however, my last visit in August 2012 was not enjoyable. My stay at The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa was totally at the other end of the "Pleasure" scale, everyone made me feel welcomed. It's regrettable for hotel staff, especially the ones you initially meet when checking in, to ruin your trip before it even starts. Only Housekeeping had the initiative to brighten our days.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for letting us know that we did not meet your expectations during your last visit. It is our goal to acknowledge our repeat customers for their loyalty and continued patronage. We are happy to hear our housekeeping staff was up to par and your comments will go a long way in our efforts towards perfecting our service across the board. We hope you will return and give us another opportunity to take care of you in the future.

Additionally, if you would have time to provide further details of your experience here I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally. You may reach me at joel.costa@marriott.com

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very nice place. My husband and i stayed here and really enjoyed our stay. Staff was very helpful with anything we asked. Its nicely decorated and rooms were fantastic.
We loved the location as we could walk to a few restaurants near by. We did go into the lounge as well.
We found that for what we paid it was a great value. We'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the wonderful review, we appreciate you taking the time to tell us how much you valued your stay.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I usually stay with Hilton properties but this time around, HH hotels were expensive and thus I went to my last resort - Priceline and got a wonderful deal for this wonderful property and i didnt regret my decision to not earn points even one bit.
The location is perfect, right in the heart of downtown San Jose, very close to SJU airport as well. The lobby is grand, check-in was smooth. I was on a very hectic business trip and thus didnt get to explore the hotel much but I did have the breakfast everyday which is expensive but totally worth it - It has a lavish spread with made to order omelettes so do try it.

Dont have much to write about the property but a great tip which can help some bucks is that you neednt rent a car from the airport. Since the airport is so closeby, you can take a taxi and then utilize the Enterprise which is within walking distance of this hotel. Since rentals are expensive at the airport, you can instead rent from this Enterprise. And to sweeten the deal further, the Enterprise guys there are kind enough to let you part there at night which can save a straight $25 per night which you will end up paying at the hotel.. Now, shhhhh and dont tell anyone and instead enjoy those extra bucks ;).

Room Tip: The hotel has around 26 floors and due to its proximity to the airport, you can see the planes fly b...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
joelcosta67, Director of Sales at San Jose Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you for the great review!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed here for a week while in town for training. The training was actually held in the hotel's conference area so I barely left this place! I had reserved a king room but they didn't have any available when I checked in. That was the only drawback but the double bed was comfy and had nice pillows.

Staff: very helpful and friendly.
Area: There's not much going on around that area and not many places to eat so it's good to have a car

I asked the front desk how much a cab ride would be to the Caltrain station and they told me $20 but it's actually only $8 before tip.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business