“Good location, great staff”
Review of San Jose Marriott

San Jose Marriott
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 2, 2012

The location allows for many travel options. You can walk 15 minutes and catch a Caltrain to San Francisco for $19.00 usd per person per day and it takes a bit over an hour to get there. Santa Cruz and Capitola are about 45 minutes south via car. The hotel has a ton of dining options around it. Arcadia (inside the hotel) has an excellent breakfast. Good drinks at Tancq which is also inside. Lobby is modern and my room (1700) was clean and up to date. My only complaint was the slow elevators. I know this is a convention hotel so there can be a large amount of people moving at the same time but it seems like they could use more elevators (not likely) or a better control system for the managing of the flow of the elevators. Off site parking is $7 usd per day 1 block south versus $26usd per day at the hotel. Would stay here again for sure! Good for business travelers and families on vacation.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 30, 2012

The location is great for business....and plenty of options within walking distance for dining/drinks, etc. The lobby is really appealing when you walk in....but when you get up to your room it is vintage motel time. Old bathrooms....old furniture, not bad, but also not expected at the price range for a full service Marriott.

Room service quality was good for breakfast....and the bar was good for after work drinks. Front staff friendly and check in quick....

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 19, 2012

A little pricey but worth it. Stayed three nights, clean rooms and nice service. Definitely would stay here again. Can´t beat the location either.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ben P
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed at the Marriott for two nights for a weekend convention. We completely enjoyed our stay. The hotel was clean, comfortable and perfect in every way for us. We will definitely stay again. The check in was quick and easy. We enjoyed the fresh, complimentary lemon/lime water and cucumber/mint water in the lobby. The elevators were especially quick and quite efficient. When you have a hotel this large with groups of conventioneers on the same schedule, you have to assume there will be a little waiting. But for us it was minimal and surprised us how quick the elevators got us to the 21st floor.

Our room was near the elevator and I was worried about the sound, but we never heard any noise whatsoever. The airplanes flew by right at eye level just outside the window and we could not hear them either. Our sleep was peaceful and comfortable. The king bed was comfortable and nice. I would have liked another pillow, but it was fine. My husband and I enjoyed falling asleep with the curtains open to the glow of the city lights around us.

The only complaints I might mention is the low water pressure in the shower, but it was not a big deal at all. Just took a little time to wash off the soap. Also, there is no free wi-fi in the rooms, but there is in the lobby.

We enjoyed the use of the lobby for visiting with friends one evening, the chairs are comfortable and arranged in a cozy fashion for small groups. The business center on one end of the lobby allowed us to quickly and easily print off our boarding passes the night before our departure.

We did not eat in the hotel or park at the hotel, so we were spared some of the exhorbitant fees other reviewers have noted. There is a wonderful bakery only one block away that we took advantage of for breakfast and San Jose has plenty of other restaurants for lunch and dinner.

We loved the location. Right in the heart of downtown, easy walking distance to restaurants and activities and a very short walk to the light rail stop which we took from the airport rather than renting a car. We left the hotel at 4:30 in the morning on our departure day and it was easy to get a cab to the airport and only an $18 fare. Much cheaper than renting a car.

I highly recommend this hotel and will stay there again next year on our annual weekend trip to San Jose.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stayed two nights at the hotel, and was impressed when I entered the lobby, the ambiance felt like a W property. However, once you leave the lobby, there is no mistaking this is a cookie cutter Marriott property. The elevators are extremely crowded in the morning and afternoon, and they seem to stop at every floor, so a ride to or from the executive lounge on the 26th floor is not a quick trip.

The rooms are ok, but again nothing to get excited about. It is strange to go from the trendy lobby, complete with club type music, to your room which is the old school Marriott color scheme, complete with blue carpet and somewhat dated furnishings. My room had a small refrigerator setup in it (forgot to remove that request from my profile), however they never bothered to clean it out from the previous guests, and it was full of old food and drinks, pretty disgusting.

The executive lounge has a nice view of downtown and the airport, and there is a patio to sit on which was nice in the morning. However, the patio was constantly in use by smokers during my visit, so unless you don't mind sitting in a cloud of smoke, it loses it's charm fast.

The service at the restaurant for breakfast was not too good, had to wait for 15 minutes before being waited on and that was only after I went and found a waitress. I then had to listen to two waiters argue with each other about who is supposed to work certain sections. The service at Tanq was not much better, waited 10 minutes there and never was asked if I wanted to order something so I left and went to Il Fornaio across the street.

The final indignity for me was that even though I had wifi access paid for through my room, this access is not available on the conference room level. So unless the conference you are attending pays specifically for conference room wifi access, you have no internet - and if you use AT&T, there is no signal on the conference room floor, which means a day of no email access. The chairs in the conference rooms must be from the 80's, because they are so worn that you can barely sit on them.

My take on this hotel is that they get a guaranteed revenue stream from conference guests and convention center guests, so they don't have a lot of incentive to go out of their way.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Even before you step in the hotel they will ask for more money than you have already committed to. From the pricey valet parking and high drink charges to the upcharges for basic utilities like access to the internet they are committed to pulling as much money from you as they possibly can irrespective of the amount of service you use.

What's odd is that the lobby is all but useless since they play music I find obnoxious and the seating is sparse and uninviting. If you are going to spend the money, do like all the US Presidents do and go across the street to the Fairmont and at least get a nice atmosphere.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Room was what you expect from this upscale hotel-spacious, comfortable, nice decor. Service, however, was not up to expectations. The coffee shop, which offered pasteries for a quick on-the-go breakfast, never had a sufficient supply of food on hand. It was sold out everytime I went there regardless of how early. The valet parking is ridicuously expensive and the valets were understaffed the morning of my departure which caused delays. I tried the online check-out using the TV in the room and never was able to complete the check-out on line. Finally called the express check-out phone number. Got a recording and left a message I was checking out. This hotel was the host hotel for a convention I was attending and I must admit that it was a disappointment when it came to service.

Stayed: June 2012