“Mixed Marriott”

San Jose Marriott
Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Only stayed here for one night in San Jose en route to Yosemite and found the Marriott quite mixed. Checkin was super quick & allocated room on 24th floor overlooking the convention center. Room was well sized and had a good comfortable bed with nice clean white linens. Bathroom was pretty large and fit for purpose. So room was basically fine & what you would want in a hotel.

Valet parking is the only option available at the Marriott and at $26 it is not cheap, however it was included in the rate.There was a few parking garages within a short walk which only charge $10 for self parking. There was a nice outdoor heated pool on the 4th floor and also a hot tub but it was only peaceful when there was not a plane coming in to land at the airport !!! Thankfully the room seemed to have double glazing or soundproofing as I only saw them from my room but could not hear them.

There are only 4 lifts to serve the floors which should be ok but on a busy Saturday night the wait for one was not good. The breakfast buffet was included in the rate but was not great especially as it would have cost $21 pp if we were paying. The server was a bit disinterested , coffee was lukewarm, OJ was not freshly squeezed (you could see the cartons) the cooked items were only warm & seemed to have been there a while & the omelet I ordered which was nice was served on a cold plate cooling it instantly ( hot plates please !!!) The breakfast choice was not great & being a Marriott it really should have been better. I would have preferred to have waited for my breakfast if they were not busy & cooked everything to order. OK hotel but avoid the overpriced breakfasts, Go to Original Joe's around the corner.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for San Jose Marriott

Reviewed April 27, 2012

They made things very personal and welcoming. At check in, I was greeted by friendly staffs throughout. From valet parking to the entrance all the way into the counter. My room was ready, complete with a small refrigerator and extra towels because I asked for these amenities beforehand.

The bed was soft and comfortable. That's pretty much all you want after a long day's flight. I travel on business so the Internet access fee, and valet parking fee are covered and reimbursed accordingly. But for casual travelers, these fees can bite you. But the hotel has enough idling Internet accessible computers around and the lobby can be a nice place to relax.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We stayed at the hotel only one night,but it was excellent. They immediately came and took the car off of your hands. They have a boarding pass computer good inside parking for visitors. Fast elevators Freindly personnel and it very clean and well kept. The only thing that we did not care for was the faucets in the bathroom, it has a aerator like the one generally found in kitchens. When you turn it on water shoots in a wide ark and will get you wet. Yes we would stay there again

Room Tip: front rooms view the city
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2012

I'm generally we're pleased with the quality and service at Marriott hotels. I'm a Marriott member. The San Jose Marriott is conveniently located, the staff is very nice, rooms are fine--wifi is ridiculous! We spent a week on the road, never had a problem with accessibiity for our wifi connections (iPhones and iPad). Here we are in the middle of Silicon Valley, across the street from the Tech museum, surrounded by internet companies and Marriott feels the need to not only charge $12.95 per day (I might add that everywhere else we stayed it was FREE!) but they have a tech service in another country providing the service and support! We couldn't seem to connect although our devices said we were connected. I called the front desk and although the folks were very nice they couldn't help. I was transferred to their non-US based "service center" and they couldn't help me either! After 1/2 an hour I gave up! They suggested I try the lobby! C'mon Marriott--it's hard to believe not one person in San Jose was able to provide tech support!
To their credit we weren't charged and they apologized profusely, even the manager seemed embarrassed.
Other than that--go visit the Tech museum, especially if you have kids, as well as the fine art museum. Lots of good restaurants too!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I stayed here numerous times on business (8 weeks consecutively). Rooms are nice, amenities nice, location within walking distance of many nice restaurants. Staff extremely helpful, very friendly, and professional. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank swatts5883
Reviewed March 12, 2012

The front desk staff was a pleasure to check in with and super friendly with my two young boys made them feel right at home. However our room was not up to Marriott standards. There wasn't one huge thing that made our room experience less than satisfactory it was little things.

-The room kinda had this fast food smell to it. Like someone had eaten McDonalds and left the bags in the room too long.
-The floor was sticky. It wasn't movie theater floor sticky but every time I placed my bare feet on the floor they would stick for a slight second.
- There was no trash can in the bathroom. Not a huge deal but It's a Marriott there should be a trashcan in the bathroom
- The 4 dollar bottle of Voss water was gone upon arrival. And then the next day my card was charged for drinking it. I called them and they reversed the fee.

While we were there I called to complain and was told someone would get back to me but no one ever did. Bottom line if I was staying at a Super8 this review would not have been written but it was a Marriott and I expected more.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2012

First of all, I'm a Mariott Platinum Premium which means I spend way too much time on the road and in Marriotts. The room was very good, spotless, and checkin was very pleasant. The downside is that the hotel is overpriced (even for the location), tends to be a conference hotel and has a really bad room service menu. It's not that the food was bad, it wasn't but the menu was pretty limited. All in all, an OK Marriott but not at the price.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business