“Excellent stay in Downtown San Jose”
Review of San Jose Marriott

San Jose Marriott
Ranked #8 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights on business. Price was pretty competitive given the quality of this property. I look primarily for 3 things at an upscale property; options for meals, health club/workout facilities and quality of room/sleep. There is a nice bar in the hotel and an good steakhouse, good upscale "vibe" at both. The workout center had a good selection of eliptical machines and treamills and an above average number of weight machines and free weights. The quality of the room furnishings was very good. I had a room adjacent to the elevator and was worried about the potential noise...not an issue, never heard it. I am a marriott gold member and had access to the concierge room at the top of the hotel....very nice. Good hours of operation, excellent service, good selection of beverages in the evening. Came in kind of late the first night and I was offered some spare ribs which were terrific!. Very nice outdoor patio overlooking the city. The breakfast in the morning was very good as well.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Texas_Phil

Reviewed January 9, 2012

Stayed here for two nights in January. Hotel is very clean and the rooms are spacious. Four of us stayed in a double room. The first night our neighbors had a very loud dispute from 2-4 am. We called the front desk to complain and they were very courteous even though we were angry. The next day I spoke with the front desk and expressed my concern about another incident that night since the neighbors were not checking out any time soon. They were very understanding and compensated us by moving us to another floor with an adjoining room for a very steep discount. While their valet is timely, it is also overpriced. $26 a day to park. My understanding is the offsite parking is still $20 a day. The hotel was very comfortable, however I would probably not stay here again. My discount rate of $89 ended up being $129 per night when you factor in parking and taxes. I would stay a little further from downtown where parking is free. The staff is excellent, from valet to coffee shop and front desk.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank CaliforniaHockeymom
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I stayed here in Oct 2011 when I was attending a conference in the connected convention center. The location of the hotel is great-- right in downtown San Jose and walking distance to many bars/restaurants. The light rail stops right outside the conference center, which makes it easy to get around to neighboring areas/Caltrain. The rooms were very modern and clean. The front desk was attentive and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I booked 2 rooms and requested connecting rooms, before my arrival I received an email telling me about the ambassador check in due to my rewards credit card. As promised my daughter was able to avoid a huge line during check in. I had to email the staff a few times before arrival and always received a prompt email back. Beds were comfy and the location was perfect. You can walk to restaurants and its connected to the convention center. Love Marriotts!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Connected to convention center, so conveniently located if you are attending a conference. Clean, nice rooms. Average service from front desk staff.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed December 19, 2011

The San Jose Marriott is located in the heart of downtown San Jose and walking distance from a number of restaurants as well as the San Jose Christmas Market that happened to be on while we were in town. Hotel rooms are very clean and spacious, concierge lounge was nice but limited hours, and the gym was good. The disappointing part of the stay was the valet. They advised us to call ahead for our car and when we did the first day they told us it would be down in 10 minutes. We took our time to get downstairs and were only the 2nd people down there but when we went to the counter, they had not even taken our keys off the rack. Others arrived and somehow our car was the last to be delivered. We must have waited 20+ minutes for our car.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank B-YVR
Reviewed December 12, 2011

August 2011. I had the opportunity to stay at the Marriott San Jose when business required us to be in the area. The hotel is located right in the epicenter of downtown San Jose, close to San Jose State & several tech companies. Several eating choices, nearby and a short walk to a Walgreens.

Check-in was quick and I received a regular room, though in earlier email I was told they were setting me up in a Junior Suite. Not sure why they do this? Set up an expectation and can not delivery?

My room was very comfortable and nicely decorated. The bed was ultra comfortable and had Marriott’s Revive bedding. Both feather and foam pillows were available. Lighting in the room was very good with lamps on both sides of the bed, on the desk, and a floor lamp. The work desk was about standard and the office-style chair functional and comfortable. Even though the property is relatively new, it is still the older style Marriott furniture.

The LCD flat screen TV was had a lot of cable channels as well as a wide selection of pay-per-view movies. I looked at some previews and costs per movie seemed to be between $12 and $15. High-speed Internet service had a charge of $9.95 per day. I used the broadband connection on my phone instead.

The bathroom was small but clean. Lighting was good, the towels were plentiful, and the shower worked well – immediate hot water with plenty of pressure. Bath amenities include shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and mouthwash.

The cleaning crew did a great job during my job. The conciere lounge has a nice property and they did a good job on breakfast. The onsite resturant has better than average property food and good service. Also check out nearby Original Joe's a SJO landmark eating establishment.

The hotel public areas were clean and well-kept, and were busy due to guests and folks conducting business in the property. This property was host to many activities going on and there were many out of town guests there.

This property is highly accessible to downtown San Jose businesses, like Adobe Systems.

I did not have any problems with the valet parking and found overall service at property to be better than average. If I can get a good rate, I would stay at this property again, so I recommend this property if your business requires to be in downtown San Jose.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business