“A good place to stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Maryland
“A good place to stay”
Reviewed June 10, 2011

The San Jose Marriott is a good hotel, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay their again. The accommodations were comfortable and quiet, and the hotel is adjacent to the convention center, which was extremely convenient.

However, to me the hotel seemed a bit disorganized, for three reason: First, one night the hotel restaurant was closed, but there was no sign indicating this or pointing out that the dinner menu was available in the hotel bar; I had to ask at the front desk to find this out. Second, I asked for foam pillows, and I got one the first night but then it subsequently vanished. (This was not so bad, because the pillow was one of the more uncomfortable foam pillows I've used.) Third, at checkout, there was a mistaken extra charge on my bill; they did fix it quickly and graciously. All put together, none of this would discourage me from staying at the hotel again, but it does cut my rating down to 4/5.

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank a_traveler54

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I was staying in room 2221 and was bitten by bed bugs and also found them on my body. The Management did not really care and have made no effort in contacting me following my report.

The previous night I could smell a strong toxic smell in my room and in the hallway, I am wondering whether they were already aware of the infestation and were spraying the rooms in advance.

AVOID THIS HOTEL !!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank geem65
FacilitiesSanJose, Director of at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
Marriott cares greatly about every guest’s experience. We take hotel hygiene and
sanitation very seriously. As a result, Marriott has established very strict standards of
cleanliness for all its hotels that either meet or exceed public health department
regulations, including pest control. Upon being made aware of this concern,
we responded immediately by bringing in Ecolab who did a full inspection and found no bed bugs in the room or hotel.

Director of Facilities
San Jose Marriott
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Apart from the valet guys, the service at this hotel is horrible. Everyone seemed unhappy and inconvenienced. They charge for everything and only offer free wifi in the lobby and charge by 15 min blocks in your room. For a hotel that markets the business traveler, it seemed highly inconvenient. I stayed here with my family for a wedding, but shortened my stay to one night from two and checked out early. The lobby has ridiculously loud nightclub techno music 24/7 and the food was horrible and overpriced. Parking is expensive $25 for valet and $18 overnight in garage. No assistance offered if you park in garage. Floors dirty in bathroom and an average hotel room. Beds were comfortable though. Will not be staying here again, or any Marriott for that matter. Holiday Inn Express would have been better.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank Tsol37
Monterey, California
Reviewed April 12, 2011

The rooms are clean and pleasant. Fairly quiet apart from noise from the corridors as people walk past. Location is excellent, in center of downtown, easy walking to museums and restaurants. However the staff seemed very disorganized and rather brusque. At 5pm on a Saturday there were only two check in desks open and we waited more than 20 minutes to check in. Later that evening, we called valet parking for our car and after waiting for 10 minutes, asked if they could check where it was - and were told that they had the wrong ticket and had brought over someone else's car. So we had to wait another 10 minutes for our car to arrive and were late getting to our event. The following morning we asked if we could leave our bags for a while and the attendant said he was busy and to go to reception to leave them there - where we waited for another 10 minutes while they checked guests out. Not quite what you'd expect from a Marriott.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank italaphile
Glendale, Arizona
Reviewed April 3, 2011

It was average overall, which was disappointing when thinking it would be a luxury stay. Granted, being on the 24th floor had spectacular views. We reserved a corner room, thinking we'd have big windows 90 degrees. I should not have expected the windows to be joined with panaramic views. The windows were divided by wallspace. Kind of a small thing perhaps, but that was a letdown from our expectation.
The location was great, close to sightseeing with the Tech Museum and restaurants right by. If you like loud restaurants the hotel's is for you. Room service food was uninspired and bland. It is all non-smoking facility though.
The room was older looking, long, so it didn't feel large. Pretty standard amenities in the room except for the bed, which was the excellent Marriott beds we expect. But NO fridge or micro AND no phone books. How odd. I've never seen a hotel without phone books. This made it very difficult for us, we use them to browse, eat out and shop. I had to call the office to ask questions and information for each and every local business. The front staff seemed of average help, smiles but uncommitted.
Now, parking. Use of a valet is mandatory, so know that going in. It is very tight to pull in to the valet spaces at times, but they do hustle. Expect to give tips. We got valet included in better corner room price, but it is added on extra otherwise.
When we got our bill, I realized they had charged for all our local calls! It's not much per call, but still it was a surprise and I had not seen that practice before. In otherwords, we felt nickle and dimed.
We say stay out farther of downtown, pay less, and you may get more for it. We were hoping for a romantic long weekend, going to a concert and sightseeing. Definitely put a damper on it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I visited there for conference with my 4 year old son, father and my younger brother last summer. I enjoyed everything except pool service. It was pretty cold in August. The view from the 17th floor was as good as the San Jose haze allowed, and the room was nicely furnished (if a slightly odd L shape). The room had enough light, was dark enugh at night and had a decently long bathtub (also it was too cold to use the outdoor pool and hot tub). Beds were comfy. However, four elevators meant long waits to get up to the room because hotel was full with attendees of conference. Also, parking space was limited, hard to find the space. The other was good. The staff was nice, everything was clean.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
alta loma
Reviewed February 17, 2011

The staff was excellent and tried their best, but when you can't get to your car due to restrictions and there is only valet parking it ruined our stay. The small entrance off a busy street is a disaster. The rooms had very small television sets, but worse, you have to pay over $10 for Internet. Add that to the $25 for valet, the $30 for room tax, add to that disposal tax and the like and our suggestion is to look elsewhere unless you must stay there. Again, the staff is great, but the management is inflexible.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business