“Good base for business travel”

HYATT House San Jose/Silicon Valley
Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed here in April of 2012. The hotel lobby is beautiful and elegant. I find the room to be small for a family of 4 but adequate, we had a 2double. The room is clean and updated. For business trips this is a good base, right down the hotel, within walking distance are several food establishments and a Safeway. This hotel is a part of a small strip mall and facing the freeway. We had a room not facing the freeway so noise wasn't a concern. The breakfast - my kids absolute loved the breakfast. They have a made to order omelette! I also think that the breakfast area is sound proof, because it's facing the major road and you can't hear the cars. I'd stay here again for a good price.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel being that I am a Hyatt Platinum member and had read good things about the hotel. For starters I called the day of my arrival trying to get additional rooms under our corporate rate to which they declined to offer.

Upon arrival they were very nice, friendly and polite as I arrived before the 3 PM check in time however my room was ready. Upon getting to my room I was greeted by a VERY small room where the king size bed took up 90% of the space. There was no chair other than the work chair in which to sit. You had a choice to lay on the bed or sit in a straight work chair at the desk. As a platinum guest of Hyatt I would have expected some type of upgrade and not such a smalll room.

The breakfast which is included is above average and was very tasty.

Last but not least I had a house cleaning attendant who never knocked and walked right in the room while I was in the midst of changing clothes just after my arrival. The manager did not call back as I had requested however after contacting Hyatt corporate he did apologize. In my mind however there was simply no excuse for this happening. I was shocked when as I was stripping down to have someone walk in on me without any type of knock on the door or acknowledgement of them coming into the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has somewhere to sit other than the desk chair. The standard room is TINY more...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ddmullis
Reviewed June 16, 2012

From the front desk to the cleaning staff all were friendly and professional. We rented a 1 bedroom suite and it was wonderful. Anything we asked for was there immediately. The complimentary breakfast was great.

Room Tip: ask for a senior rate if you are old enough.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I hosted a sleepover at this hotel for my 6th grader's graduation party. Their 2 bedroom and 2 bath suite with a living room, and full kitchen was the perfect venue. We enjoyed our stay here.

This hotel is very new, the furnishings are tastefully modern, and the beds are all very comfortable. I spent the night on the living sofa bed, and even that was comfortable. I did not feel any sprints on my back.

The hotel is in a quiet location, but within walking distance are several restaurants and a mid-size grocery store. The walkable restaurants are: Sweet Tomatoes; Five Guys (Burger joint); Chipotle; Panda Express, and a Pizza place. Further away, but also within walking distance is a Target store.

This hotel offers a great hot breakfast buffet, heavy on the protein. They even have made-to-order omelets.

This hotel is nicely located close to Hwy 237 and 880, and not too far from Hwy 101. It is also fairly close to the San Jose airport. Since it is surrounded by many high tech companies, it is a good base for business travelers.

All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank HappyTraveler852
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I went to San fransisco with my wife & son on 2nd June 2012 from Seattle to San jose Airport for a Holiday Tour in Santa Cruz & san Fransisco. This Hotel is very nearer to San Jose Airport (15 Min drive) & close to Sunny Vale & Santa Clara , where lot of South Indian Vegetarian Restaurnts are available ( 20 Min Drive). My Son hired a Rented Car from Hertz which is just outside Terminal B airport. In this Hotel , they provide Free Parking facility behind the Hotel.The Locality of this Hotel is very nice & provides a beautiful view from your Room road side Window. Free Break fast is provided between 6.30 AM to 9.30 AM (Bread Toast, Fruits, Pan Cake, Jelly, Jam, Butter, Tea/Coffee Juices Cakes for Vegetarians).It is one of the Hyatt Group of Hotels in the City & the price paid is worth for a comfortable stay. The Toileteries like Tooth paste, Soap, Shampoo Towels Hand /Body wash Soaps are clean & neat. We stayed for Two days & will stay in the Hyatt group of Hotels when we visit Los Angels & SanDiego in July.

Room Tip: Guest Rooms with 2 Queen Beds are more suitable & cheaper for Family with 3Adult or 2 Adult +2...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I booked a room at Hyatt House for a weekend overnight when we were in town for a wedding. I booked over the internet and chose this property because of the very good ratings and because of the killer weekend rate on Priceline. We were not disappointed. Everything was spotlessly clean. This is of great importance to me. I am picky. All felt like new. The bed was extremely comfortable and triple sheeted which is what I prefer in a hotel. We were happy to be able to open the window a few inches for the night. Slept quite well. It was extremely quiet inside.

We were pleased to find two wine glasses and an opener in the room. We went over to Target (which is very close by within walking distance) and bought a bottle of Cabernet. We made our own party while watching Comedy Central. There was a towel and dish cloth next to the microwave and fridge for spills. I really liked that touch.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The breakfast was quite good. It was truly a full breakfast and they make omelets to order. I liked that they had the right kind of paper cups and lids in case you wanted to leave with a cup of coffee or tea (which we did). Or you can use the ceramic mugs at breakfast.

The hotel felt very secure. You must use your key card to use the elevator going up.

No place is perfect. So here are the minor things I would criticize. Across the street from our third floor room was a large structure that probably had a chiller in it. It made a SCHEWWW sound during the night every so often. I heard it when I got up during the night, but it did not bother me.

We weren't sure how to control the air conditioning/heater from the thermostat on the wall. No problem for us as we had the window open with fresh air and the unit was not running.

There was not a clear sign from the street indicating where to drive and park for check in. We did our own thing and then moved our vehicle after checking in to the hotel parking garage. I realized we had done it all backwards when we left the next day. But as I think about it, I still am a bit confused.

We would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2012

In a nutshell, 29th Anniversary, requested pool view, highest floor possible, reserved 1 month in advance. Check in was slow, was not told of parking restrictions out front, or the times for the breakfast. Thankfully, someone else was checking in at the same time and I was able to over hear the instructions they received. Asked if we had a pool view and we were assured that we did.

Got 4th floor room with a lovely view of the third floor roof overhang, pool nowhere in sight. Called front desk. Unable to help, offered to check tomorrow if we wanted to move for the 2nd night, but again no guarantees, but what was most frustrating was the tone of voice.

Condescending. Ugh! I hate that! Husband went down to talk to them at the front desk personally again was told the same thing but this time we were told that this hotel caters primarily to extended stay guests, not to people who only stay one or two nights. Good to know.

Shower didn't flow well and went from lukewarm to scalding hot by itself and because of the flow issues it took forever to get the shampoo out of my almost waist length hair.

Breakfast on Sunday morning was a disaster. I don't know what happened but there were too many people and not enough seats, food, or drinks. One item would come out at a time and there would be a mad dash for that and then that would be gone. Repeat scene.

We did enjoy the room. It was nicely appointed. Didn't go to the pool. This hotel does not have a jacuzzi.

I responded to an e-mail from Hyatt asking for a survey of our experience. I shared what happened. The next day I received an e-mail from the general manager and he was very apologetic about our experience. More than that, he did more than apologize, he offered us a complimentary night or a refund. I did appreciate his prompt response and putting his money where his mouth is by offering something for our trouble.

While I am not sure this changed my mind about this particular hotel the general manager's response did make me feel better about the Hyatt brand in general.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown
Hyatt Regency Santa Clara
Hyatt Regency Santa Clara
#3 of 32 in Santa Clara

Been to HYATT House San Jose/Silicon Valley? Share your experiences!