“A Very Good Choice”

Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Sacramento, California
“A Very Good Choice”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We stayed at this hotel specifically to be able to attend an evening San Jose Sharks game (NHL hockey) without having to drive to and park our car at the arena. Knowing that Hotel Sierra is within easy walking distance of light rail and that light rail offers a stop close to the arena, we chose this hotel and were pleased with our choice. The cost of the room was relatively low and we found personnel friendly, a clean, quiet facility, good exercise equipment and free parking and Internet along with a more than acceptable breakfast. The only minor complaint is that we were given the name of the wrong stop to get off the light rail and therefore had a much longer walk from rail stop to the arena than was anticipated. Now we've learned. We were not seeking a place to eat dinner close to the hotel but it did appear to us that there isn't an array of choices within walking distance. In any case, we would definitely choose this hotel for the same type of excursion again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Korean first
Houston
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Finally after travelling to many places in the Bay Area, we found this hotel by mistake due to the Hyatt Regency Santa Clara was sold out. We were reluctant to reserve our room at this hotel but we gave it a try since it is a Hyatt chain hotel.

To our surprise, the hotel is newly built this year. The price was very reasonable for our stays compare to other hotels in the area. The breakfast was a full buffet which was for free of charge. After my husband had his breakfast, he said it was the best meal he has had for the past week.

We will definitely return here with our family the next time we come to San Jose.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 15, 2011

My husband and I stayed here on Nov.5 due to an early flight and loved the hotel. We were greeted very warmly and offered all kinds of assistance. I chose the hotel after reading reviews and was not disappointed. We enjoyed the bar on Saturday evening and a lovely breakfast on Sunday morning before departing. Great beds and convenient to the airport.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
Reviewed November 11, 2011

My 2nd stay at this hotel. Friendly amazing staff. My company shipped a 50 lb box of materials for an onsite class. Front desk staff offered to bring it to my room for me. Granted a 2 PM late checkout. After check out my rental car wouldnt start. Front desk staff kept my keys for the tow truck and paid my cab fare to the airport so I wouldnt miss my flight! (the free on site shuttle was in the shop). Above and beyond customer service.
Other positives: clean comfortable rooms, good included breakfast (omelettes and coffee especially).
2 negatives: a musty odor in my room the 2nd visit so had to keep the fan going. And not all rooms have a full length mirror so be sure to ask if that is important for you.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights on business as my 'usual' hotel was full...colleagues had recommended the Sierra so I decided to try it....friendly welcome and complimentary cookies on arrival!

The rooms were reasonably spacious, with fridge and microwave - a colleague had a mini suite with a kitchenette. My room was clean, no view to speak of (back of the car park) but perfect for crashing after a day in the office. The bed was comfortable and the hotel was surprisingly quiet (apart from jet lag, I slept well!) and the breakfast buffet was great, with a good selection (including an omelette station). My only gripe was that the air con unit was a bit noisy.

We had bar snacks one evening (pizza, nachos etc) - all reasonably priced, quick service...the bar is a bit clinical/lacking in atmosphere but was fine.

The location is near to a Target and a number of cheap dining options but not much else - this was fine for us but if you want nearby entertainment, stay in Santana Row. There is also a free shuttle (5 mile radius) but make sure you book ahead. Free wi-fi.

When i am here on business again and my 'usual' is full, then I would definitely stay here again - it's perfect when you have a busy schedule and just need a quiet, pleasant place to crash that is reasonably priced. Staff were friendly and efficient.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Bs8kate
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 25, 2011

I typically stay at the Moorpark when I go to San Jose, but after my last trip it was apparent that the service there was beginning to slip...badly. So for this trip I searched around and found this one. It wound up being a very good decision. The hotel is brand new, as are the neighboring stores. The hotel is located near several corporate headquarters such as ebay, and would be great for business trips. There is a refrigerator in the room, free breakfast (though I did not eat at the hotel), and it basically shares a parking lot with a new Target, and several quick dining options.

The interior of the hotel itself reminds me of the new hotels popping up in Vegas. Modern, fresh, trendy but classy. The room was small, but tastefully decorated while maintaining the "hip" factor. The bed was very comfortable. So much so that upon checking out I pulled the sheet back to find out what type of bed it was. The only downside of the room was that it had somewhat of a bad smell. Nothing horrific or bad enough to summon a call to the front desk, but it smelled musty and stale. I cranked the a/c up to get some fresh air circulating and forgot about the smell in a couple minutes. All in all, good hotel, my new choice for San Jose.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank aremy
gaithersburg
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Stayed here for 1 night before catching a flight out of SJC. Excellent choice! Everything was so clean and new. The front desk staff was so friendly and helpful. Breakfast was very good.
Lots of selections for everyone. Even served Starbucks coffee for breakfast. Stayed on a Friday night and the price included parking and breakfast. Great price for all you received.
Highly recommend Hotel Sierra.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple