“Enjoyed the food and friendly service”

Mezcal Bistro & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Mezcal Bistro & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 2,152 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between 1st Street and Market Street
San Jose, CA
“Enjoyed the food and friendly service”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The staff at Mezcal worked extra hard to make our meal pleasant. The waitress spent time explaining Oaxacan cuisine, advising us on what to order. The only problem was that the music was so loud that she had to repeat the story for both ends of the table and we still didn't catch it all. To be fair, we should have asked her to turn down the music. I don't know why we hesitated.

I ventured into the more typical Oaxacan food. I suppose it was very authentic but it wasn't to my liking, but I can't say the waitress didn't warn me that some people didn't like it. Everyone else in our party loved the food.

Try the sample platters. It gives you a range of dishes and, once again, the waitress will educate you about what you are getting.

• Visited December 2012

Minnesota
“Fun and delicious”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had a delicious meal here on a quiet Sunday evening. The staff recommended a favorite dish that was different than any Mexican food I'd tried. The mole sauces were incredible and a change up from salsa.

Visited October 2012
Houston Texas
“very good”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

had the mole negro and tortilla soup. I have to say that the mole was way better tan the soup. Both came out at the same time. I think the soup had been sitting in the back for a few minutes, it was warm , but not hot.
The mole on the other hand was really good, nice sweet sauce that had slight bite at the end. Chicken was really tender. I would go back for sure.

• Visited November 2012
San Jose, California
“Not Impressed”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My family went to this restaurant and thought it was just average. The waitress was curt and a bit rude about telling us "This is Oaxacan food and Mexicans don't eat like you Americans think they do". It was interesting to find out that the food is different in Mexico, which I have been there are know that it is, but she was sassy about it like we were stupid white people that had no idea what the cuisine was like. I have had Oaxacan food before and really liked it. Our food tasted like it was made earlier in the day and was cold in the center. The plates weren't even warm to the touch. My beef was charred on the end (grilled food doesn't mean burned food) and the people that ordered chicken got some chicken that was definitely sitting around a while and was dry. It also came out very quickly after our appetizers and looked like it was thrown together and put on the tray in a minute. It was hard to get our server Marta's attention to order more drinks or ask to order dessert. The atmosphere was fun though and the property was well decorated.I think this place has potential if they can make the food fresher and work on the service.

• Visited September 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“Different for Mexican”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

No salsa as you know it. No gobs of guacamole and sour cream. Just very good Oaxaca food well-made and well-served. Enjoy the patio beside the restaurant. The owner used to be manager at the Silicon Valley Capital Club and knows what he is doing.

Visited July 2012