“Good but not terriblly impressed”

Ranked #10 of 135 things to do in San Jose
More attraction details
Owner description: Paved trail great for running: cuts through parks, ponds, and downtown Los Gatos.
Ankeny, Iowa
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Good but not terriblly impressed”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Maybe because we came in the dry season, the drought had emptied most of the ponds. The cracked pond bottoms gave out the stingy smell of the dead fish half-a-mile into the park. However, once we saw the creek, we said to ourselves that this park does live up to its name.

The cactus, the trails leading to the creek, the bridge after bridge, and the seemingly never-ending trails had all pleased joggers, bike-riders, and adults with strollers in the park. On the other hand, sharing the same trail by all these people has obviously distracted the indulgence of the trail users; we had to turn back frequently not to hurt someone and not to be hurt either.

However, that doesn't prevent us from finding the beauties of the park here or there. I loved seeing the disciplined ducks line up sailing in the creek, an eagle flying towards us, and pretty purple-colored flowers thirsty for the raining season.

Visited August 2014

Seattle, Washington
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Terrific place for a hike”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

As San Jose can get quite hot in the summer, this trail is perfect almost year round as it offers lots of shade. It's a very long trail but I recommend taking it from Vasona Park. You always see some friendly faces while walking this trail, but it hardly gets too crowded to enjoy a leisurely walk or a run. One of the many places in the area to enjoy San Jose's year round mild weather!

Visited October 2013
2 Thank ashuphoto
Southrn California
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Lovely, but...”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

In town looking for a missing pet in San Jose, I was enchanted with the Los Gatos Creek Trail in the downtown area. Lovely to find so much greenery, greenbelts and parks in the heart of a city!

That said, a caution - if you get off the actual trail, the beauty of the creek is marred by the number the hovels, encampments, trash dumps, and stench of human deification that we encountered while looking for the lost pet.

Back topside, it's a lovely place!

Visited June 2014
3 Thank JudyTheGypsy
San Jose
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A natural shady walk”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I run my own doggie day care, so, last month on a day when it got close to 100 degrees in San Jose. I needed to take the dogs out for a walk, so I decided to go to Vasona Park. I had remembered that one of the trails that run to and from the park was pretty shady. I hadn't realized just how shady and beautiful this trail was. It winds down along the creek on Roberts Ave. It was beautiful!! So many trees and wildlife, it never even got hot for us and we all enjoyed the walk. If I need to walk dogs now when it is hot - this is where I am going!!!!

Visited May 2014
3 Thank Dawn H
San Jose
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Best place in the area to run/bike”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I love this trail. It runs from Willow Glen to Lake Vasona in Los Gatos and a little beyond. I believe the whole trail is 13 miles long. I'd say the best parts are from Campbell Park to Lake Vasona, and spring is the best time to go. There is also a dog park along the trail in Campbell. If you're looking for paved exercise trails, there is also one that runs along downtown (though a few homeless may be present), one from Alamden Lake, and another near Hellyer Park called Coyote Creek.

Visited May 2014