“How many places like this are there in the world?”

Winchester Mystery House
Ranked #5 of 138 things to do in San Jose
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors can tour the house and gardens once owned by wealthy widow Sarah Winchester, who kept construction going on the 160-room Victorian mansion for 38 years.
Reviewed April 25, 2014

I see that some reviewers state that the legend is unfounded, but this is not a house that was poorly designed. It is obvious (having construction experience) that much of the work was done to provide the illusion of progress when the supervisor is not around. I forget already most of the stuff I saw in San Jose, but I will remember this for a long time. The gardens around the house are very nice, too.

1  Thank PMahdis
Write a ReviewReviews (2,239)

Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Ok this was rather surprising. What a cookoo ladie who built this mansion. It's interesting to stop just to see the completely wacky architecture of this place. And no blueprints!! Just going from day to day by "what the daemons told her to do that day".

Reviewed April 22, 2014

The Winchester Mystery House is a legend here in San Jose. It's a must see if your visiting. The tour runs daily and offers some night tours during special occasions like Halloween what better time to walk through the oldest home standing amongst the modern area of Shopping and Movie theaters. I won't ruin the history or story of this marvel , it's better told by the tour guide. All ages will enjoy this and if your solo what better way to meet others and finding other things to do around town. It's a landmark that we treasure and even though I've been many times I still enjoy revisiting this home! there's a small cafe to buy a snack and wet your whistle after your tour, If you want to sit and people watch or shop I suggest after you go to Santana Row

2  Thank acaraway
Reviewed April 21, 2014

a little pricy, but you get your money's worth.
Very enjoyable for children over 5.
Lots of good spots for taking memorable photos.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

I nearly didn't stop here, but having found a spare hour at the end of an afternoon, thought I'd stop in. I'm so glad I did! Although a bit pricey, I caught the last tour of the day with only eleven people on it. As such, I didn't really feel rushed around, so my advice would be to get the first or last tour of the day. The guide was knowledgeable and informative. If you're interested in architecture, or just the quirky, I think you'd find this interesting.