“Lovely and strange”

Winchester Mystery House
Ranked #16 of 117 things to do in San Jose
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Visitors can tour the house and gardens once owned by wealthy widow Sarah Winchester, who kept construction going on the 160-room Victorian mansion for 38 years.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I expected a creepy house and was surprised to find a lovely Victorian one. The gardens in front of the house are pretty. It does have a lot of strange features, like doors leading to a drop of several feet outside the house. And the ever present 13 in windows and ceiling panels. It gives one a glimpse into the tragic and sad life of Sara Winchester. She must have been a very lonely person with no other activity aside from continuous construction 24 hours a day.

Though I enjoyed going through the house, I was surprised at the $30 fee for the guided tour. Quite hefty.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,646)
All reviews
in 32 reviews
"flashlight tours"
in 25 reviews

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I got to go for free and it still wasn't worth it and a waste of time.

Imagine walking through an unlit, musty, abandoned house. The only architecturally interesting bit are a couple of poorly planned or unfinished e passions that you can see in pictures. Seeing it in person does not add anything to the experience. Save your time and money and enjoy an ice-cream or cupcake or pastry at the mall across the street

2  Thank Carl D
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is an interestingly weird attraction but the admission price it too high. I know they're a for-profit organization and it does cost a lot for upkeep but I cannot justify the admission price. Mrs. Winchester's Tiffany glass collection is beautiful and the Firearms Museum is interesting to gun enthusiasts of which I'm not one. The tour guides were very difficult to understand because they talked too fast and enunciation was not good. All in all, this was not an enjoyable attraction.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

My wife and I have been to this attraction a couple of times, and we've enjoyed the experience on both occasions. Try to go either early in the morning or late in the afternoon, as the middle of the day can be crowded, and your time with the tour guide/docent will be a rushed, crowded experience. However, the last time that we visited, we saw the house after 4:00 PM, and there were only a few others with us, so we could ask many questions about the family and the woman who commissioned this strange and complex home. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes, as there will be much walking and climbing up and down stairs. Be sure to also explore the grounds along with the house.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 26, 2013

For the price $60 per couple for a limited tour... that were rushed through. The experience for us would have been better if we could of been on our own with a headset recording explaining all that we were seeing. The tour was so full that the guide began talking before you even entered the room and was gone before we even made it into the room. Always wanted to go, glad we came. Based on our experience, I am sorry to say that I would not recommend this attraction to our friends without an explanation of our experience; then they decide.