“Winchester Mystery House”

Winchester Mystery House
Ranked #16 of 141 things to do in San Jose
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Visitors can tour the house and gardens once owned by wealthy widow Sarah Winchester, who kept construction going on the 160-room Victorian mansion for 38 years.
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Great tour. Tour guide was friendly and answered our questions. Very interesting story that goes with the house. They had a museum there with the Winchester rifles and shotguns.
Had a great time.

1  Thank Jim151
Write a ReviewReviews (2,389)
All reviews
in 23 reviews
"her husband"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We read the reviews and they are all over the place. I was really concerned about our tour late in the day because I thought we'd get a tour guide who was tired and ready to go home. Fortunately for us we got Mariah. She was fantastic.....very energetic and had a voice that projected well so that even in the back of the group you could hear her well. it was disappointing that we couldn't take pictures but we knew that ahead of time and wasn't a deal killer. Overall we enjoyed the tour but I do admit I had a hard time forking over so much cash for this tour. Our original plan was to get discount tickets at the Santa Clara Visitor's Bureau but they are only open during the week and we were here on a Sunday. It's a big savings so check out their website so info. Sadly, we can't buy ticket online...we have to go get it in person.

2  Thank L500768
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Being a huge Stephen King fan, I had to visit the house that inspired "Rose Red".
We got there quite early on a Friday morning (10AM) and booked the Grand Estate Tour for $35 (it includes the Mansion, grounds and basement). We were lucky as our Mansion tour group was relatively small - 8 people, I think. From what I saw later on as I was going back to the starting point of the tour to use the restroom, thrice that number is the norm. I'd suggest going as early in the morning as possible to get the most out of it.
Personally, I loved the Mansion tour. Our guide was great, our group small and quite inquisitive, yet she perfectly answered every question thrown her way. The house truly is one of a kind and if you're at all interested in architecture it really is a marvel. The basement tour left me a bit disappointed. Our guide was kind of a [--]. Still, it was only an extra $5, so it doesn't feel like a big loss.
I'm only giving three stars (think of it as a 3.5) simply because of the admission price. The gift shop is the biggest gift shop I've ever seen ANYwhere. While I thoroughly enjoyed the tour, I couldn't help but feel that a tourist trap is all the estate has really become.
Side note: Photography is not allowed inside the house.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is one of the most remarkable sites I have ever visited. It is a monument, in a way, to superstition. The guided tour was excellent and the story behind the design of the house is fascinating. It is incredulous to think of how Mrs. Winchester was so haunted by the victims of her husbands guns that she felt the need to design a house to ward off angry ghosts. This place is undoubtedly worth the effort to visit.

1  Thank Debbie K