“Charming Hotel and Grounds!”

Dolce Hayes Mansion
Ranked #3 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed July 21, 2007

I read the reviews and saw the Travelzoo special of $99. The front desk clerk was very nice and accommodating. We were offered a room in the same building where a wedding reception was taking place. He was very upfront about the noise, and assured us that the party will be winding down at 11:00pm. There was neither a bellman to assist with luggage and nor a valet attendant to park the car, and thought that it was odd that a nice and classy hotel like this one had no one to assist with luggage or valet service. How strange! The bartender and the houseman were very nice in pointing out where the room was located after they knew that we were having difficulty finding the building that housed us. Upon getting to the room, it was a small room, but the furnishings were updated and clean. The only things that bothered me was the mattress was already too worn out (it actually felt that it sloped on the right hand side) and there were spiders in the room. Bathroom had nice amenities and is a good size. Overall, the room furnishings and the overall grounds were clean. Service is professional and efficient. The express check-out was prompt and efficient. I will try another room when I return to the hotel. It was just an average stay this time. Looking forward to check into a larger room.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Dolce Hayes Mansion

Reviewed July 10, 2007

We took advantage of a Travelzoo special last year and had a very poor experience. The larger restaurant was closed for a private function (which apparently trumps other visitors) and Orlo's was used to to house and feed everyone else. There was a long wait to get in and there was very poor service once you were seated.

The accomodations were located in the newer section of the grounds and it was a very small room with little of the charm promised in the "mansion" averrtising. There was a power outage during the middle of the night and no relief was offered. Other problems marred our two day stay as well.

We wrote up the details of the problems and forwarded them on to the hotel management. I wasn't really surprised that they didn't follow up. A better-managed property would not have ignored our concerns.

Trust me, you won't want to come back. We certainly won't.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sfoso
Reviewed June 2, 2007

Stayed here for a business function with ~ 125 other co-workers that came in from around the globe for a business meeting that took place on the grounds. Overall, the stay was excellent ! The hotel, mansion and grounds are beautiful. The staff (all of them) were very friendly and accomodating. Everything worked perfectly in my room (1322, 3rd floor w/ balcony). Ordered room service twice and both times, something small was wrong, but the staff quickly corrected the issue and apologized immensly. Though the hotel was out of the way, it was easy to find and it is close to the San Jose Airport. Also, the property is located in the middle of a residential neighborhood and close to a trailer park, but the area around the hotel is clean and well kept. I felt very safe each and every night that I ventured out locally.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank pkw123199
Reviewed May 23, 2007

This hotel was so elegant inside and out.
You could never tell the original part of the home, to the newly added addition! Excellent craftsmanship and woodwork!
Down to every detail! If you like old world class style, this is the place! EXQUISITE!

Although the location was off the beaten track, it was well worth the trip.

The staff is very professional and friendly.
The rooms very clean and nicely decorated. Very comfortable bed, great internet service (wireless)

The ambiance & service at Orlo's had a personal touch.
I would rate the staff's hospitality as Premium.
The rooms & dining manager were very accomodating.

The Being Spa is worldclass, and I loved both the massage and the facial. All in all a great experience! Very secuded and relaxing!
No kids running around.......excellent!

The grounds are very well maintained, the flowers are beautiful, the palm trees were tall, and the short green grass.....beautiful backdrop for wedding photo's.

A+ across the board!

Would stay there in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Shannon092
Reviewed May 9, 2007

I stayed because of our Christmas Party. I got a rate of $114 and the rate the Hotel offered us was $129. I got what I paid for. The room was nice but the A/C was not very powerful and they gave us a Handicap room with no bath and my 7 year old was disappointed . I called and complained. They offered no solution. I booked 3 other rooms for VIP of the company and thankfully they loved their rooms (and I paid $114 for their rooms too!) The ice mashine was 2 buildings over from our room..Starnge. But I was told since it was an old mansion it isn't like "normal " hotels. The grounds are huge and we had a very difficult time finding our room. They really should have some bell hops on hand to at least direct you in the right direction! We are planning to stay here in June and hopefully will be very pleased!

Stayed: November 2006
2  Thank Carlii1964
Reviewed March 22, 2007

The Dolce Hayes Mansion is charming yet strange. This is a multi building hotel campus. The main building is 100 years old. It was the very large house of some very wealthy family in the early 20th century. Our room was large, clean and very nice overall. The hotel is in a somewhat seedy neighborhood in south San Jose. Cab fares to the downtown area run about $40. Sometimes the hotel shuttle will take you to the downtown area but they also charge $40. There is a trailer park within 100 yards of the hotel , , you get the picture. We ate a buffet breakfast at the hotel 3 days in a row and we enjoyed every meal. The City of San Jose owns this hotel and a handful of the employees have a less-then-helpful attitude towards the guests, however, on the whole, the staff was friendly. So, the experience is truly mixed. If I were ever to visit south San Jose again, I'd probably stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank PickyGuy
Reviewed March 21, 2007

My husband and I celebrated his birthday with a special one night spa and brunch package at Dolce Hayes Mansion. Because of other commitments, we thought we'd try somewhere local to maximize time relaxing and minimize time driving. Although the deal sounded good, all in all there are much better places to spend your spa/getaway $$!

The package deal was around $420 for one night lodging, Sunday brunch for two, and two spa treatments - not a bad deal, considering spa treatements retail for $125 each, brunch for $37 - so the room was less than $200. But for those prices, I really expected better service.

When I checked in I asked for a special room - after all, it's a birthday celebration! The room assigned faced a busy street and was tiny. Decor was very dated and faded. Yuck. Two more trips to the front desk and I finally got a lovely 3rd floor balcony room. Same faded decor, but a nice view.

Other bad news: the spa treatments were not great. Practitioners not very seasoned and my husband's massage started 45 minutes late! The brunch was just ok. Can't believe people actually spend $37 for a buffet that's nothing special.

On the good news side: the hotel/mansion is beautiful. We enjoyed the "walking tour" that was provided by the front desk. Also, the bar and bartender were quite nice - and the spa had lovely decor. The pool has great comfy loungechairs and plenty of space.

In summary, this is a business/conference hotel. So if you're looking for a "romantic getaway" - Hayes Mansion will not provide that special, down comforter, lovely decor, b-and-b experience. Just bite the bullet and drive to Carmel for the real deal!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple