“Great scenery, good food, indifferent service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dolce Hayes Mansion

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Dolce Hayes Mansion
Ranked #3 of 76 Hotels in San Jose
Portland, Oregon
“Great scenery, good food, indifferent service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights because we got a great deal on Travelzoo. The grounds are amazing. We walked all over the property. The room was very comfortable, and we enjoyed sitting on the balcony of our room watching the sun set between the palm trees. We had one meal in the restaurant- a breakfast buffet. The food and service in the restaurant were very good. However, every time we needed to speak to a member of the front desk staff, they were nowhere to be found. This happened three times: when we checked in, when we stopped by to ask that more towels be sent to our room (there was only one set of towels for two people), and when we checked out. All of these transactions were during normal "business" hours. It was the only frustrating part of the experience. There was a conference and a wedding happening during our stay, so perhaps that accounts for the absence of the staff. We would probably stay here again, but build some extra time into your schedule to search out a staff member if you need assistance.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

Some family members and I stayed at Hayes Mansion for 4 nights, including my 15 month old daughter. We arrived on a Saturday and learned the hotel was completely booked. There were 3 brides with their wedding parties having photos taken on various parts of the property, so I assume many of the guests were part of these events. The location is beautiful and I'm sure their pictures will be fantastic. By booking through Expedia, we paid $89/night plus a $15 credit towards hotel services.

That aside, the rooms are pretty small. We had a king bed room, while my mom and aunt shared a double queen. Their room was smaller than ours, but ours did fit one of the hotel-provided Pack 'N Play cribs for my child without too much inconvenience. My husband felt our room (1303) was noisier than it should have been; the A/C kicking on and off was waking him up and we could hear the elevator binging. I was so tired that I didn't hear much but he said our daughter stirred because of the A/C noise too. While the hotel was booked solid we didn't hear our neighbors too much. The room was clean, including the bathroom. The free wifi was a big plus though sometimes a bit slow.

Things quieted down a lot after the weekend passed. The pool is standard, enjoyed by us and the guests we saw or talked to. The jets apparently were not working on the jacuzzi. There is free coffee and tea in the President's Lounge, along with a TV (which had the World Cup on). We also learned that some of San Jose's finest spend their breaks there...we were alarmed at first when we saw cop cars parked outside the hotel but it turned out to be nothing. We did not interact a lot with staff, but the few we did were very helpful and pleasant.

The hotel is the middle of a residential area. You will find it easiest to get around if you have a rental car. There are places to eat somewhat nearby but not a ton of options; we ended up driving to get food most times. (There are mini-refrigerators, which was handy.) There are also a couple of grocery stores near the hotel. The dinner prices onsite seemed high but we didn't eat the food so I can't speak to whether it was worth it or not. There are a few parks within a short distance, which was great for us since we had a toddler.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Nanuet, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

We booked through Orbitz and got a great deal, but once they saw that we did, I feel we were treated a bit differently. The room was obviously not used in awhile. It was dusty and missing the recycle can and the spa menu. Also, the ice machine was so loud you can hear it in the room as if you were standing right next to it. The pool was closed without explanation. The food was great though.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, AZ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

We stayed here for three nights in June...

The good: the room was spacious and clean and the beds very comfortable. The buldings and grounds are beautiful. Despite being in a residential area, it was pretty easy to find when we used our navigation system.

The bad: We were on the top floor of the building that houses the conference rooms. It had something wrong with the pipes or some mechanical system... it was so noisy that we could not even sleep. The first night we were awake until 4 AM before finally falling asleep from pure exhaustion. The next day we requested a different room but were told they were 100% booked. The next two nights we actually left on the television to block that irritating sound and were able to sleep a little better. But still, from a place that likes to think of itself as a five star hotel? No. I have had nicer rooms, better service and a better nights sleep at a Comfort Inn than I did at this place.

Sorry Dolce Hayes, I may recommend this for a photo shoot but not for a restful night's sleep.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
San Bruno, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

I rate hayes 2 thumbs down, came with a lady friend, friend, requested 2 queens as we
are just friends, the 2 queens reserved and confirmed where changed to a KING, given away to make room for a pharmacial convention. everyone had 3 piece suits on, and wore high heels. The pool was not open, when open cloriene was overprocessed, made my legs white. Employees looked scared -are they undocumented? Buffet was $30.00, as a paying guest was almost denied to dinner until confirmation of room was
given. Rude swithoperator named Brittany. Unsecure area that a Sheriff visits daily.
NO smoking, no ashtrays. Water in pitchers in pool area, but no glasses to drink the water. Dogs on grounds unleashed and was bit by small dog. Gardens are only trees,
no flowers, only on entrance. Never come back to this dump!! Not recommended to
church members, work members or congress.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2010

Noise and service are the two negatives for this otherwise comfortable and pleasant hotel. My stay was marred by noise from the adjoining room (a single door) and people constantly checking if the door was locked. Also a planned but unannounced power cut that had the surprising consequence of zero housekeeping, no laundry, no food and no apology. Parking can be very difficult due to lots of functions and a shortage of spaces, very many spaces are marked for valet parking leaving hotel guests with nowhere to park.

The main restaurant is quite good.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Fredericksburg, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2010

The hotel is beautiful, but I got a sour taste after checking out from the hotel after a 3 night stay. My husband and I went to the front of the hotel to take some pictures when I realized I had left my cardigan in the room. We didn't have the key since we left it in the room when checking out. A house keeper let me in and I went into the room, but no cardigan was found. I noticed someone had entered the room because the tip that we left was gone. The security was notified, and the house keeper in charge of the room was notified. The house keeper denied seeing the cardigan, but I have a feeling she know something about it's whereabouts. She had the money we had left in the room in her pocket. The hotel staff acted like it's no big deal. "Things like this happen" kind of attitude. (Before we went back to the room, I went trought my belongs twice, and I know the cardigan was left in the room). The time span was about 15 minutes.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple