New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Excellent historical Mansion Hotel with beautiful architecture and spectacular gardens.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dolce Hayes Mansion

Dolce Hayes Mansion
Ranked #3 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Very impressed by this hotel. This is our second stay at this historical hotel. Got upgraded to beautiful suite for being a repeat client. The bed is heavenly. This is the only place I would stay again and again when I am in San Jose, CA.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Middletown, Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I titled this a Disappointed. Because at the end of my stay I truly was not happy. I arrived at Hayes Mansion late on a Friday Afternoon. As I pulled in I noticed they had an event planned at some point. I didn't stay Long just long enough to Check in and Turn Around to drive down to Santa cruz for a coupe of hours. The facility is nice well maintained, lots of space, also the Staff was friendly for the brief encounter I had with them.

The Next Day being Saturday we started out early again and went to the Buffet for Breakfast very good. Again not much interaction with the staff. This is when I could tell it was a wedding that was being planned for that day. We left for a few hours and came back later in the day. the wedding was in full swing. Now I had to be up and out of the place by 3:00 am for catch an early flight out of SFO. The room that I was put in was Directly behind the hall hosting this wedding. so at 10:00 pm The Music was full blast. I like to party like this next person and never once figured this would be a problem. Until at 11:00 i could and asked when this was going to be over, and was told they were supposed to be done very soon, well it was now almost 12:30 am and Still going on. i had to call again, And was Told it should have been over.

The question was why was I put in this area of the Mansion when the wedding party and guest must have booked rooms also? why were they not put there? I could have been put on the opposite side.

very Disappointed in how that was handle.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask what event's are planned and what time they will be over. And ask to be on the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chucky7point0
HayesMansion, Front Office Manager at Dolce Hayes Mansion, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thank you for your review. I wish our actions did not play into your title "dissappointed". Please accept our sincere apologies that the function we had booked interupted your restful weekend. We do our best to accomadate both out Banquet functions and our hotel guests in the best possible to meet their expectations. My apologies that we were not able to meet you expectations for your visit with us
San Jose, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I booked this hotel as a little weekend getaway for my girlfriend and I and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I booked our stay through their website and for $40 upgraded to a mansion suite on the day we checked in. That was the best decision ever. The suite was very spacious, the king size bed was super comfortable, and the entire room was spotless.

While the pool was smaller than what it appears in photos, the water was perfect. We definitely lounged around the pool for a couple of hours. The bath tub in the room was also a very nice touch, though it would be nice if they included a little bottle of bubble bath (we made our own by using a lot of shampoo).

The only gripe was the food service in general. Though technically room service was offered, we didn't have a room service menu. My girlfriend went down to the restaurant to order food and asked them to bring it up to the room, for which they charged an extra $15 or so. I've stayed at hotels before, so I knew there would be a charge for the service, but when we basically had to do half the work, we might as well have done it all and saved that money. Either way, the food (a chicken club, steak fries and a flatbread pizza) were delicious.

Our biggest food service complaint, though, was the breakfast buffet. Though the selection was decent and the food good, no waiter came up to us to offer water, orange juice or coffee until we stopped one of them a good 10 or 15 minutes into the meal.

All that said, our total experience was very good and we'll definitely consider Hayes Mansion whenever we plan another getaway.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Hayes Mansion felt more like home than a hotel. The room was spacious and comfortable. It was conducive for both work and relaxation. Front desk and guest services were also very helpful. I especially want to thank Manny for helping me out wherever he could and providing good advice. Also to William, Peter, Tai and Ron, thanks for all the help too. Shuttle service to and fro work has always been prompt and I really appreciate it.

The hotel might be a little out of the way, but since hayes provide free shuttle to nearby locations within 5 miles, it sort of made up for it.

The mansion is too beautiful and I would always stop to admire it every time I return from work.

The only downside I would say is that the hotel room does not have a boiling kettle or mineral water. It is hard to get water that is not cold.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Montecito, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is a converted mansion and it has added a bunch of rooms about 150 in the style of the mansion. So like home there is nice lemon water available and free coffee in the lobby, the grounds are nice and there is a great patio to sit on and eat. Like home though a bunch of things are a bit casual. As an example the noise in the rooms is higher than at a new hotel - why this is I do not know since so many of the rooms are newer. I was surprised it wasn't quieter. Given it is under the San Jose flight path they should have been more noise conscious. Like at home your rooms are basically what the builder thought was a good layout with a few strangely laid out rooms. The suites have a bedroom and second room sort of but the one I had was not conducive to enjoying them. Some of the largest mansion suites are in the attic - literally that is the way they built them for the servants 100 years ago (BTW these are a bad buy lots of room but low attic ceilings and closed in with small windows - like your home attic. Why are the new suites laid out the way they are. The pool is too small for anything but kids splashing which is a disappointment like home when you say to yourself I should have built a bigger pool. Like home the food is mostly comfort food hamburgers, chicken and salads mostly simple fare. Sitting outside is very nice but the seat cushions are stained from food and drink - like home. So if you want a place that is like home this is where you should stay. Also it is one of the only hotels in the area. If you want a more 4 star hotel comfort and quiet and quality experience you may have to drive north where you will find it. I wanted to like this hotel but there were too many like home parts to it and I would not have bought the house if it was like this.

Room Tip: Don't choose a mansion suite unless they have a non-attic one. Also look at the suites before p...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HayesMansion, Front Office Manager at Dolce Hayes Mansion, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your review. We are sorry that we not able to meet your expectations. While some take comfort in our lavish grounds and warm ambiance, clearly you had different expectations. If you are looking for a home away from home please come back, we would love to have you.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

A lovely hotel in historic and delightful grounds. The rooms were quite spacious, well equipped, and well maintained. Location is a little disappointing as it isn't really walkable from transit (the hotel charges for airport transfers), and nearest eateries are a good 15 min walk.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank winter_limelight
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Beautiful hotel set in lovely grounds. Rooms spacious & clean & conveniently located for highway access. But the pool size was a HUGE disappointment. It's only a fraction of the size pictured on their website/brouchures & looks like a totally different pool. This hotel is in a (nice) residential area so need to drive to find decent restaurants as they are not on the doorstep. Hotel food excellent but expensive and don't want to eat there every night. If we didn't feel deceived by the pool this hotel would have scored much higher. Will be interested if they comment on this

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank gamann191270
HayesMansion, Front Office Manager at Dolce Hayes Mansion, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you very much for giving us your honest feedback. While the photo of our pool is of accurate size it was taken some time ago when lanes where etched on the pool floor. Your concerns are important to us and will not be taken lightly. We are having the photo reviewed by our team that manages the website. We are pleased that you were able to still enjoy our property even though our pool was not up to your expectations.