“Where history meets comfort and good food.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dolce Hayes Mansion

You added Dolce Hayes Mansion to your Saves list
Dolce Hayes Mansion
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Edenvale Avenue, San Jose, CA 95136 (Formerly Hayes Conference Center)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in San Jose
Mesa, Arizona
“Where history meets comfort and good food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I travel to San Jose for business and usually stay downtown at the Fairmont. However, my last stay at the Fairmont was less than wonderful and I wanted a change. When searching for a different hotel near to ny meeting location, I saw the Dolce Hayes Mansion. I have eaten here before and enjoyed their restaurants, but have never stayed here. The room rate was less than the Fairmont and the stay was markedly better. This is an historical building, so the rooms are old. However, they are very clean and wonderfully appointed. My room was quite large with an entry, a large bathroom, a bedroom area, a nice desk and a separate sitting/living room. There was a compact (though a larger one) refrigerator, too. The room had a very large wrap-around patio. Overall, the room was much nicer than any room I have had at other San Jose hotels (including the Fairmont). My room rate included breakfast for two and was a beautiful and extensive hot buffet in the Silver Creek Dining Room. All of the meals that I had during my stay were great. I look forward to dumping downtown for good and making my home away from home at the Dolce Hayes mansion. Oh, and the staff were all terrific, too!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We enjoyed an amazing brunch on Sunday morning. Excellent food with a wide variety of choices. The wait staff kept the champagne/orange juice/water glasses full as well as kept the dirty plates cleared as soon as they were emptied. It was a relaxing meal in a lovely setting with windows opening on to the gardens. The dining room had a elegant, open, airy feel to it but also was appropriately equipped to minimize noise. We had a table of 12 and could actually hear each other talk. We were not rushed through the meal, actually spending the good part of 2.5 hours. A very enjoyable family event.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jerrie L
Corona, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

The hotel is breathtaking from the outside and the people that work there (from the Receptionist, the restaurant staff, the security guard, even the cleaning crew) made our stay even more memorable. Their food was amazing and at a very reasonable price. You have to try the Grilled Beef Tenderloin Sate. It is TO DIE FOR. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were very clean. As one can expect with an old mansion, there are lots of passages. It was fun walking around and taking it all in. And yes, there is a way to go from the main house to the rooms without going outside, you just have to look for it. That's the fun part. :)

The mansion, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was converted into a hotel. Most of the inside is original so one can only expect a hint of history in the smell of the place, not overpowering though which is kind of nice. When you go there, ask for a tour of the tower. They will be more than happy to oblige and take you to some other parts of the hotel you never would have gone to (including the telling of the history of the place).

The place is very quiet and peaceful. They do have a few bar areas and even a game room downstairs which has pool and even a poker table. We will DEFINITELY be going back there again. This time, we will be bringing our little ones. I'm sure they will love it as much as we did.

Room Tip: We had a room with a balcony. Very beautiful for having coffee in the morning.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Marci S
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Arrived late last night from east coast. No signs designating lobby building so I drove around the grounds for a while trying to figure out where to check in. Parking is FAR away from main building when you have luggage with you. Scratched the paint and damaged the wheels on my roller-board luggage dragging it up and down the 6 cement stairs to the lobby as there are no ramps. Checked in only to find that I had to go to another building to locate my room. Drag my bags back to parking lot to drive to new building. Again, no ramp to the entrance and had to drag luggage up the stairs again to enter the second building. Once in the room I immediately noticed that the room had adjoining door (I hate these types of rooms when I travel alone). I checked the lock as I always do and found it unsecured. I flipped the latch and went to bed, not thinking that there might be a way for the latch to be unlocked from the outside. I was awakened an hour later by my "neighbor" fiddling with the adjoining doors for about 3 minutes. I assumed they were trying to lock their side of the door. Once they stopped messing with it I went to sleep again. At 4:30 am this morning I was awakened by the sound of someone fiddling with the adjoining door again. This time a MAN walked through the door into my room! I yelled at him to get out and he said he was looking for the bathroom! Needless to say I was completely unnerved and could not go back to sleep. I put a desk chair under the door knob so that I could dress. I called the lobby who said they would send maintenance up to check the locks once I depart for my 8am meeting.

So far this property will get a poor rating from me. I will see how the hotel handles these issues as I am at this hotel for two nights.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank Reneethe1st
Ottawa, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Not your average downtown business hotel. The Dolce has a distinct resort feel to it, yet is still close to DT San Jose.

It is more a rustic, vintage kind of feel - and smells like it too - BUT the room was just fine.

I would consider this a good relaxing spot for couples, families, friends more so then business.

The ground are beautiful, be prepared to walk outside : from parking to reception, to rooms to restaurant is all outdoor walking in connecting paths. May connect inside, but did not find it.

Beautiful outdoor patio/lounge with heat lamps and canopies to maximize your time outside.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Natottawa
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I had the great pleasure of staying here last year with my family. Very comfortable beds here. Quiet and very well furnished rooms. I want to say again that it was quiet. Let me know what you think please.

Room Tip: Be sure and sample the Breakfast
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Franklin P
San Francisco Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was my first time there and I'd never heard of the hotel. It was a pleasant surprise. I waa there for a conference and would go there again for pleasure or a romantic getaway. It is an old mansion and is on San Jose's historic places but is beautiful. There was a wedding going on while we were there. There was PLENTY of parking, nit all of it close, but there was plenty of it and valet is always an option. When I checked in I almost walked past the front desk. Check in was smooth and easy, The hotel is very clean and has a small bar inside, For the evening there is an outside patio.bar area where a lot of the guests who weren't at the pool were located. The was a musician and the atmosphere was very pleasant. I had the buffet in the restaurant and was wonderfully surprised. There was a great variety of food, plenty of fresh fruit, breads, oatmeal, cream of rice,cold cereal, hot food, The bacon was not the usual thin microwaved version which was a pleasant surprise. The service was extraordinary all the way around. The staff was tremendously pleasant. The rooms were an unexpected surprise as well. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were a delightful mixture of modern and old school charm. There were robes available for wear and the bathroom had a body soap, shampoo and conditioner in the shower, in case you forgot it. The hallways were nice and clean. It is located a little far out but I don't think this would be the place one would choose as a base when visiting the Bay Area. I would recommend staying here for sure.

Room Tip: Request a pool side/inside room. The outside rooms have views of cars,
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business