“A Totally Wonderful Experience”

Dolce Hayes Mansion
Ranked #3 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Loveland, Colorado, United States
“A Totally Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

I just spent 9 nights at the Hayes Mansion. It was the most wonderful experience. The room was gorgeous, the bed incredible, and even when there was a wedding reception in the ballroom, my room was blissfully quiet. I slept soundly with none of 'sleeping in a strange place' the feeling one often has in a hotel All of the employees went out of their way to meet, and even anticipate, my needs. I also noticed that the employees were not only kind to the guests, but to each other, and that made an impression on me. Another factor for me, as a woman traveling alone, was the security. With restricted access to the elevator, and after dark the building itself, I felt secure (even If tip-toeing around the building in the wee small hours to get to the door that would open with my room key reminded me a bit of dorm days.)

The room was perfectly clean when I got there, and was kept that way throughout my stay. I also appreciate the environmental policies of being able to reuse towels if you choose and changing the sheets less often unless you ask.

I accidentally left my flash drive in the computer at the business center, and before I knew it was gone, the concierge had found me in another part of the building and returned it to me.

For the price I would have paid for a 'just expensive enough not to be creepy' ordinary hotel, I got a luxury experience. I would so highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Diane C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
rayRay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

I love different and interesting places and I did find that in the Dolce Hayes Mansion. It is located rather oddly - basically you go thru a subdivision of just run-of-the-mill homes when you are just 'there' - turning in to a wrought iron gate w/ like fence surrounding the whole place. The place is more beautiful than I imagined, lovely grounds, etc. I found the front desk staff to be nice enough but not overly hospitable... The restaurant staff where we enjoyed the amazing Breakfast buffet each AM were wonderful, as well as the cleaning staff. We had booked 2 rooms- 1 for us, 1 for our daughters- thru the Travelzoo Special - $99 per night including Breakfast buffet for 2- stayed for 5 nights. I do feel that this was a good value. I would not pay more for the experience.

We did stay in the newer part as other reviews had suggested we request; however, the 'new' part/rooms do not seem as 'new' as they claim- they have a 90's feel and color palette. The rooms are average to small in size compared to what we are used to. The beds and pillows were comfortable. Make sure to request rooms far away from the elevators as we were close-by them on our first night and it was absolutely miserable for us all- the noise!! At our request, they moved us the next morning. The A/C in one of our rooms were out so after a maintenance guy tried to fix it for a while to no avail, he finally hooked up a portable unit. The A/C worked after about 24 hrs but the portable stayed the duration of the stay :( .

We were there to visit the Bay Area, but while they advertise that is is about 40 mins from San Fran, you can count on about an hour and 15 mins/more to downtown San Fran- that was a bummer, but it ended up ok, as we went to Half-Moon Bay and the beaches between there and SF one day and to Monterey & Carmel / Pebble Beach one day, so it ended up being a pretty good in between place. We also found a nice mall (I think called 'Westfield'- Ask staff) within about 10 mins from the hotel w/ lots of shopping and restaurant options :) .

Overall, there are areas they could improve on, but we got a good deal we feel w/ the Breakfast Buffet - which included a wonderful array of fruits, yogurts, cereals, cooked items, cooked to order omelets, etc. The one area where I feel like they are missing capturing interest of their guests is by not hosting tours of the mansion. When I asked, they just casually told me I could do a self-guided tour and gave me a brochure.?... The main house is really a beautiful place and it would have been so much more interesting to have a guided tour. The front hospitality staff could certainly be more gracious and forthcoming. All that said tho, if ever in that area again I would certainly consider staying again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ray_ray047
Sonora
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Excellent Value! We love this place and have stayed a few times. The rooms are nice and the staff is friendly.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I got a deal on reservations at Hayes Mansion through Travelocity, so I took my boyfriend on a quick get-away from SF for his birthday. I read the reviews in advance and knew the mansion was in a residential area, but that did not detract in any way from the stunning view of the Mansion when you pull into the gates. In fact, it's so unexpected that driving in is like a scene from a movie--beautiful and grand! The staff were super-polite and very accommodating. The grounds are well-manicured and lushly planted, the pool area is small but very nice, the outdoor dining area is GREAT, and the inside bar is beautiful. I love the way they have combined the early 1900's hotel interiors with clean, modern furnishings. The rooms, however, are still decorated traditionally, which is not my taste, but they were tasteful with good amenities (robes, toiletries) and a very comfortable king bed.
Our room included breakfast in the morning. We expected a nice but standard hotel breakfast; we got a fantastic breakfast with multiple stations--omelettes, waffles, multiple types of beautiful fruit, bacon, sausage, different types of breads and bagels, plus superior table service--a really nice treat!

My only complaint with the hotel was the amount of chlorine in the pool and, in particular, the hot tub. I had to get out of the hot tub because my nasal passages were burning from the amount of chlorine in the water. My nose continued to burn for a good half hour afterward. Also, I see that there is an unknown charge on my credit card for $30 that was added after I signed my check-out statement. I haven't had time to call the hotel yet, but I am wondering what this could be.....hopefully it will be cleared up and I will still love Hayes Mansion!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Niskayuna, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

This is a truly beautiful place, and our entire stay was characterized by service and presentation that fits such a property. We had a relaxing evening on a patio type area with waiter service available in a professional and non-intrusive manner. In this area I would really expect the rate to be higher than we paid, with a summer special deal.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank guitarpsych
Citrus Heights, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Dolce Hayes Mansion is a very beautiful mansion to wander around in. Came for their brunch and although expensive ($40), for a special occasion, it is a nice place to experience. They have a good selection for breakfast items, seafood items (crab legs, oyster on the shell, and prawns), prime rib, mahi, pork tenderloin, pastas, soups, and wonderful desserts (tiramasu, fruit pie, green tea cake) and many other items too numerous to mention. All was well prepared.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank grandkids7
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed for a couple of days in June. We were upgraded to a room with a balcony, which was a nice surprise. The room was nice and clean. There was a mini fridge and coffee maker. There was a cute outdoor area for drinks and pool (neither of which we used). We didn't spend much time at the hotel, but when we did we hardly saw any other guests, it was very quiet except,there did seem to be a conference going on almost everyday. It would be such an adorable place for a wedding! The location was off the beaten path, but maybe that's what makes it a desirable escape.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple