“Nicer than expected”

Dolce Hayes Mansion
Ranked #3 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I stayed two nights at the Dolce Hayes because I was in town for a wedding and the hotel was offering a discount for wedding guests. The grounds are very beautiful and there are many places to walk around and explore. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do much of that since the weekend was filled with activities, so I'd love to go back when I have more time. The rooms are quaint and include plush robes and slippers (which I love). I thought it was cool that the shampoo, conditioner, and soap are in a dispenser on the shower wall, so there is no need to fiddle with tiny bottles or litter the environment with extra plastic. One of our few complaints was that the pool, spa, and hot tub close at 10:00 pm, so we were never able to visit them. Plus, our smoke detector started chirping on the second night, so we had to call the front desk. They were pretty quick about coming to fix it, but it was still pretty annoying. I'm not sure what the going rate is per night, but for $99, we definitely got our money's worth and more!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank AliciaCA30
Write a ReviewReviews (1,525)

Reviewed September 26, 2011

We book a one week at Hayes Mansion. The pix looked great but that is always deceiving.
We arrived in San Jose, the mansion was easy to find with GPS, about 12 miles or so.
My jaw dropped when we entered the drive. What a beautiful mansion. We were met with a very friendly helpful staff, alway smiling happy to assist with print out directions to any location we wanted. The resturant was great, havent had a burger cooked properly in a long time.

We must have 25 pix of the mansion and the grounds. We also booked a massage at their spa, well worth it and much needed after a cross country trip. We found this property centrally located to most of our day trips, Monteray, San Fransisco, Santa Cruz. It was a great place to stay, need, clean, very vintage and beautiful. Well worth staying.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sunshinegirl0707
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Let me start by saying I'm not a complainer. I can go with the flow, but I was so sadly dissapointed in this hotel that I'm just going to let it all out.

First of all, this is one of the few hotels in San Jose that advertises that it has tennis courts. And that is exactly what I wanted - tennis courts. I called and the lady assured me that there were tennis courts "on the property, across the street". Lovely, I thought.

Well, she's right- they were across the street but I felt deceived because "on the property" to me means they are private. This is a public park, across the street from a trailer home park. It's not what I was expecting. But ok, I'll chalk it up to me not clarifying that I was looking for a private tennis court, just a little confusing when the property lists it as one of their amenities.

But there's no misunderstanding in the following - the room smelled awful - kind of like you had just cooked meat on your foreman griller and left the grill standing in the room overnight. It was musty, it was heavy, it was gross. And the in room fridge? Yeah, the loudest thing in the world. It would kick on and off all night and was a nice octave louder than the a/c unit.

So am I little bitter that I drove 20 minutes out of my way to stay at this place? Totally. Should have gone back to the Fairmont in downtown San Jose, so much nicer.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
HayesMansion, Front Office Manager at Dolce Hayes Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2011

My sincere apologies that for the inconvenience of finding out that our tennis courts were not private but instead in the park that is connected to our property. I will reiterate with our staff that questions regarding the location of the tennis courts should be answered with the explanation of where they are located; and that they are not private.

Our standards regarding our rooms smelling fresh and clean are very stringent. A fresh room is a fundamental practice and we will reiterate that with our staff. Going forward I would love the opportunity to discuss this with you personally to obtain the room number; this will better help me access this challenge and to address accordingly.

Thank you very much for your review.

Reviewed September 23, 2011

This old mansion converted to a hotel/resort/motel is located in a neighborhood (love this!) and you'll definitely want to map it out and bring your GPS. Totally worth it! Don't miss the breakfast!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank britehike
Reviewed September 21, 2011

This hotel is perfect for me. Everything is good. It is clean and nice size of room. I got free breakfast which is very nice and good. The price is not bad to stay. I'd like to go back to stay again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank prada001
Reviewed September 15, 2011

First, location. The Hayes is located in a residential neighborhood which has good and not so good features. The good: it is quiet. There is hardly any traffic noise. There is adjoining park that is great to walk/run in. The not so good, you'll need a map, GPS, or directions to find it since it isn't on a main street and there are not any restaurants within walking distance. The Hayes is in the southern portion of San Jose so getting to the downtown area requires a car or taxi.
The facility is well maintained, the rooms are generous in size and the appointments in the rooms and public areas are very nice. The main building, the mansion, houses the restaurants and public areas. I was there for a convention. The convention facilities are top notch, big, well laid out, very nice fixtures and appointments and convenient to the guest rooms and main building. I would definitely go back and stay here again if I was in San Jose.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Eureka_9
Reviewed September 11, 2011

This historical mansion is a great retreat where service is supreme. You are always greeted in such a friendly way. The mansion is well maintained and organized. Thry have a large fitness and spa center. You are lord of the mansion here

• Stayed: September 2011