“Consistently good plays”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of San Jose Repertory Theatre - CLOSED

San Jose Repertory Theatre
More attraction details
Owner description: The San Jose Repertory Theatre is the only fully professional regional theatre in San Jose, CA, and annually presents six mainstage shows and has an extensive community outreach program.
San Jose, California
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Consistently good plays”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We've been season ticketholders for the San Jose Rep for more than 10 years. We've enjoyed nearly all of the plays presented. Fresh ideas and older plays freshly presented. Very innovative. We just attended an "Insight Night" last night, previewing the upcoming play "Freud's Last Session." It's a real treat to listen to the director and the key actors describe the play before we see it. These discussions add far more depth and understanding to the performance. So see for yourself. Recommended most highly.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Steven L

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Rep - good ole faithful!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

I have been coming to the Rep for decades now, sometimes plays, dance recitals, concerts, and/or the Jazz Festivak.

Staff: Consistently the sales staff is helpful and friendly. The same, possibly more so, is the case for the many volunteers at this site. After I incured a spinal injury, I coincidently received a sales call for a reduced season ticket as I had purchased a play ticket recently. When I explained to the calling sales clerk about my injuries and limited mobility, she spent extra time finding me seats for the season that where in the middle of the rows even if in the balcony that allowed me to still enjoy these plays despite neck/spine issues.

Sights: it is in downtown near many fancy restaurants, mid range breweries, and even some museums.

Parking: conveniently next door in an above ground parking lot that usually has reduced rates at nights of performances at the Rep.

Venue: relatively intimate with good acoustics. Seating is a little tight especially arm rests and leg room. But cushioned seats with solid back. A little to soft for me due to injuries but PRE injuries I found the extra soft seats comfy.

Snacks/food: usually candy bars, some sodas (soda fountain machine broken), and some house wine. Nothing fabulous and not many options if you cannot have sugar but still nice to have a brief snack as needed.

1 Thank FoodJazz
Santa Clara, California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Local Theater”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

First class performances. Varied types of plays presented each season including traditional, modern, local playwrites and first runs.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Suzie L
San Jose, California
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Rep season subscriber for many years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Rep presents first rate theatre in San Jose. No need to travel to SF. The theatre holds approx. 550 patrons and no seat is very far from the stage. The productions are very high quality and always entertaining.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank pmdwarrior
Saratoga, CA
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Always a treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

We have been subscribers for over 30 years. That says a lot. It has the ability to surprise me even when I think I am not going to like something. For example this season I thought that Bill W. and Doctor Bob would either a dry ( no pun intended) exposition of factoids, or some kind of sappy morality play- it was neither. It was both informative and transformative. That is one of the reason I like the Rep and theater.

Take a look at next season's offerings and prepare to enjoy yourself

Visited July 2012