“Always surprisingly good”

San Jose Museum of Art
Ranked #17 of 138 things to do in San Jose
More attraction details
Owner description: One of San Jose's most historic buildings, this former post office is now home to a permanent collection, and it features rotating exhibits as well.
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I never have high expectation when I go to this museum because it's competing with those big museums up in San Francisco. But, I've always really enjoyed myself. There are often unusual exhibits that you wouldn't see anywhere else.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I really heard a lot about the museum and remember going as a child for field trips. Husband and I decided to take an afternoon to explore the museum we both walked by so often during Christmas in the Park with our family. We left kids and made it a date out and were we so disappointed. The price was hefty for so many empty walls. I don't know if they were going through transition or what? And what they did have left little to the imagination… a photo shoot of naked people. Really? Just not my kind of interest. The abstract art and all the art was minimal and the overall experience was just sad. As much as I enjoy the building's architecture and the sculptures on the outside, I will continue to stay on the outside.

1  Thank Veronica P
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I visit San Jose at least once or twice a year and always try to visit the SJ Art Museum. I have never had a disappointing experience. It is smaller than most art museums and it is a showcase for contemporary exhibits but I've always found them to be extremely interesting. This visit was no different. Absorbing, engaging and thought-provoking. Plus, I can never leave before visiting the cafe for a snack and the gift shop for a souvenir.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Loved this museum, and definitely go to a lot of them because my girlfriend is an artist. Super easy to get to, right in downtown San Jose, and the exhibits were amazing. We particularly enjoyed seeing the Leibovitz photos from her trip through America but everything else was worthwhile too. Parking was a snap, and we had a great lunch at the cafe. We are definitely going back for more, and next time we will get some wine afterwards at the Galleria around the corner. A must see for anyone living in the area, and well worth the stop if you're just passing through. Can't wait to see more incredible art at a fantastic space right in our backyard! Hooray for some top notch South Bay culture!

Reviewed November 13, 2013

A wonderful museum friendly place...not too small, not too large--just right to spend a few hours in a well lit museum...food at the cafe is great value---and the docents are absolutely wonderful...if you are not an art enthusiast, the docents will lead you in great conversations about what you are seeing....